Avail. They say it is too late - they have the judgement
    Against me. They claim the debt is mine, but will give no
    Details - they say they don't have to because they have a
    Judgement already. I don't think the debt is mine - I
    Never had a Citibank Credit card and statements were being
    Sent to the other address. Is there recourse via Attorney
    General or whom. Even if by some chance (debts are sold
    All the time) the debt is mine - I my rights as a debtor
    (if any) and due process (if it applies) were violated.

Help! I'd love to put these slimy people in their place
    For their practices.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Sadly this happens a lot. Assuming it is not really your debt, I got a garnishment for child support put on me two years ago, took me three weeks to get it stopped.

First. 1. stop using the phone, they are right, they have a court order, so there is nothing you can do on the phone

2. fastest and best, hire an attorney.

3. you will need to file a mostion in court that first you were never properly served, and that there is a mistaken ID on the debt and account.

Until you go to court and see the judge in a hearing, nothing is going to happen.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Buffalo
    A debt collecting lawyer got a judgement at an address
    where I have NEVER lived but where someone with the exact
    same name lives. They then sent it to my bank and have put
    a lien on my bank account. I have called them to no
    avail. They say it is too late - they have the judgement
    against me. They claim the debt is mine, but will give no
    details - they say they don't have to because they have a
    judgement already. I don't think the debt is mine - I
    never had a Citibank Credit card and statements were being
    sent to the other address. Is there recourse via Attorney
    General or whom. Even if by some chance (debts are sold
    all the time) the debt is mine - I my rights as a debtor
    (if any) and due process (if it applies) were violated.

Help! I'd love to put these slimy people in their place
    for their practices.

What Social Security number are they showing on this debt - I believe they have to provide the Court with a SS number which should have been given to the Bank?

Otherwise - right, only an Attorney can stop this and then I would go after them for the Attorney's fee.

I wouldn't say you don't think the debt is yours - if it's a Citibank judgment, you never had a Citibank account/card I would say firmly that it's not yours.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2008, 07:07 PM
    You may not need an attorney.

Your first step is to get a copy of the order served on your bank. This will tell what court the judgement was issued from. You then go to that court and file a motion to vacate on the grounds of improper service. You should get that motion granted. This will get you a new hearing where you can fight it on the grounds that its not your debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Repayment of a court order [ 7 Answers ]

Several years ago while we were married I helped buy a car for my wife because she had no credit. She begged for the car and promised up and down to make the payments (she was making nearly 80K). She was doing great until July 07, after we began divorce proceedings, when she just stopped. If the...

What do you do when the court ordered supevisor does not follow court order? [ 8 Answers ]

My children have been having supervised visits every other weekend on sat for one hour. This started in late August. The judge granted supervised visit's for the father every fri night and sat afternoon for one hour each. The father said he only wanted every other weekend to the supervisor, so...

Court order [ 1 Answers ]

A few years ago I purchased a kichen - I was unable to pay for it so it went to court - the company failed to reply to a court document within the allocated time so the court threw it out However now I have had a letter from the court to say that the company want the court order reinstated - can...

Violation of court order [ 4 Answers ]

Ex husband took kids out of our state (maryland) on his weekend visitation to the state of PA for 2 days. I spoke to them in the evenings to say goodnight, ex told me that they were at his moms in (maryland) and I found out he lied to me. The court order states that when he wants to take them...

Access without court order [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, can any body help me with getting access to see my son, without having to go through the courts. My X will not return my call and tonight kicked me off her property. And it looked like my son was shaking. He was shaking his head and saying no when I asked him to speak to me. If any body can...

View more questions Search