Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davbassett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 08:27 PM
    What the heck? Invalid Drive E:\
    Okay, so I am trying to download java onto my computer because I need it for my web page building software. However, every time to go to download java, I get a message "Invalid Drive E:\" Well, I don't even have an E: drive, at least I don't think so, I have been going nuts on how to fix this problem!! I can't find help anywhere!

Please help me!!
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2006, 02:23 AM
    Where are you downloading Java from? Also what version are you trying to download? Maybe it's the program you have downloaded causing the troubles.

As you just want to run a Java program and not write ones, you'll just need the JRE (Java runtime environment). To get, do the following:

• Go to http://java.sun.com
    • On the right hand side will be a blue area called "Popular Downloads". In this click on "J2SE 5.0" (should be the top link).
    • Scroll down this page till you reach a section titled "JRE 5.0 Update 6 includes the JVM technology". Under this will be a link saying "Download JRE 5.0 Update 6". Click this
    • On the next page, select accept and then choose "Windows Online Installation".
    • Download and run the program it gives you and follow the instructions to install Java

Hopefully this installation program will work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 3, 2006, 04:54 AM
    When you start the download it generally prompts you to select where you want to download to. I suspect that somehow its defaulting to E: and you just need to select someplace else.
    davbassett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2006, 10:43 PM
    Neither one of your suggestions is getting me though this!It is so incredible aggravating! I tried what the first guy did, and as for your response, it does give me the chioce on where to save it, but still later gives me the error message. Sun's/Java's help page... NO HELP, same for Yahoo. I am so lost. I am afraid I am going to have to pay someone to do something this dumb!:mad:
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Feb 13, 2006, 12:04 AM
    Hi,
    LTheobald has given a clear way to install the Java. You don't have to save the file to any of your drives. When you are prompt there will be two options, one Run and the other Save. Click Run instead of saving. What I understood from your post is that you are not getting the option? Did you try downloading something else? Are you still not getting an option to "Run or Save"? Please clarify exactly what is happening when you click the download link.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What the heck? Invalid Drive E:\ [ 1 Answers ]

In response to another post (yes, I'm just too anxious to respond with the answer that I couldnt' wait for sufficient priv's to reply with the answer) regarding installing JDK and getting an invalid drive error.. Scenario: - my My Documents is mapped to h:\ at the office - I have my laptop...

Invalid drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have compaq p1,booable from FDD.I formatted it dos mood by command format c:/s.Now it boots,but when I insert win98 cd it does not know cd and sys invalid drive. I tried all drive letter.

What the heck? [ 16 Answers ]

I've posted about this before, but here is a recap: Dated/lived together for over a year. She felt she needed a break, moved out, asked me not to see other people as she wouldn't either. At X-mas time I catch her on a date. Things get ugly, she tells me to never contact her ever again. ...

What in the heck do I have here? [ 14 Answers ]

Hey, I just stumbled across this forum and I think I have reached nirvana! I am finishing my basement and have reached the point of finishing my bathroom. It was "stubbed" by the builder, but I just don't know what each pipe is for. I have posted a pic here:...

What the heck is this? [ 2 Answers ]

I got a picture of a rough-in for a basement bathroom and there is a really weird plug in the floor right behind the toilet stub. See the picture. Does anyone know what heck this is? It looks like someone messed up to me. When unscrew the cap off, it does drain to something.. Thanks, eric

View more questions Search