Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mandi098 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Teaching vs. nursing
    I was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me what is involved in becoming a nurse or a teacher. I have always wanted to be a teacher but everyone seems to be trying to drscourage me, saying there are no jobs for teachers in this state (mi) and that with the nclb law it's a lot different. Also I was under the impression that u just needed a minimun of a bach. Degree, but people are telling me that u never get to quit school, as u have to keep working on new cirtificates and degrees to stay a cirtified teacher. So I considered nursing, and job shadowed an ob nurse, it was OK. But I need to know what is involved in the school prosees of becoming a nurse. Im in my first year of college now, and need to make a choice fast. I would be very thankful for any help you can give me.
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

Apr 26, 2007, 11:30 AM
    You need a Bachlors degree for nursing or teaching. In most states, you have some many years to complete your masters degree for teaching. I will tell you that nurses are always needed! Teachers can sometimes find it difficult to find a job, but nurses never do. You can get a masters in nursing and be a nurse practitioner too. I would recommend contacting an advisor from both the nursing and teaching departments and ask all the questions there. They have the answers and are usually more than willing to help!

Good Luck and God Loves You!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 26, 2007, 11:38 AM
    You have to do "continuing education" for both nursing and teaching. Things change and update and you have to stay of top of the new information.

Nursing is always in demand but is hard work. Most work 12 hour shifts 3 days on 4 days off. CNA and LPN take less time to get, but earn less. RNs make more, but expect to earn your Master's. Check with your local hospital - many have tuition assistance if you agree to work for them.

My sister is a teacher and isn't happy. There is so much side work teacher's have to do that they never get reimbursed for. She is looking for work outside the education system.
    finola Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 08:03 PM
    I am in MI and I am going to a community college for nursing. I am finishing up my pre reqs this semester. You can just get an assoc. degree to be a RN, as I am doing. I have been seeing that getting a bach. Doesn't mean a whole lot in pay. The pay jump is getting the masters where you can be a nurse practitioner. Being that I am 34 and starting this, getting my masters may not be something I pursue. But it does open things up a lot, more choices of what you want to do. I have not shadowed yet, but plan on it next summer. I too thought of teaching. I liked the idea of summer off, holidays off, no nights, weekends.. as would NOT happen with nursing. I was thinking elemantary education. I have not found a teacher yet that I like, so a thought was maybe I should be the one I would want my son to havae. But now that does require a bachelors and I from what I have seen you do take your work home. I have also heard nursing pays more and has better benefits.. BUT pay shouldn't be the issue, what you like to do is main thing. I may end up changing my mind as time goes on.. who knows... even though I'm in school for one thing, I'm constantly researching my options.. as for jobs available.. that I do not now when it comes to teaching. I too have heard the jobs are scarce in MI but with nursing you can go anywhere. I know charter schools seem to be always hiring. I would say do more research and don't stop till you know what you want to do for sure.
    starrynites Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2010, 09:07 PM

Mandie.. I am changing careers.. in mid life... towards becoming a teacher.. I agree with the other post that stated... its not what everyone else wants.. expects or says... Its your life and you not they.. will have to do the career you choose... day in and out.. unless they... will be working for you.. lol. That being said.. would you rather work with sick and the dying.. > ? Or.. would you rather mold the minds of our future.. young children? I have two very good friends who are RNS. Both.. are stressed out and hate their jobs.. love their patients.. They both work in a hospital.. and there is never enough staff to help them. Both have been in nursing as RNS for 15 years... and praying for a way out. It takes a huge toll on your body and emotions. On the other hand.. my aunt was a teacher and loved it.. I worked with two teachers who loved it.. and met another who loved it. Nurses like teacher have to keep up their license and she has been doing computer home work for a month as a RN. RNs in NJ.. she says are in the process of being mandated.. to get their BSN.. she and the woman she works with and our other friend... all RNS.. absolutely.. do not want BSNs.. and do not think that is right to do to everyone... who is fine where they are at. Nurses.. don't have pensions.. teacher do.. Nurses don't have a Union.. teachers do. Nurses.. don't have three months vacation a year.. not counting holidays.. and snow days etc. Teachers like nurses have to keep up their education yearly. But... when you enjoy it.. its interesting.. when you don't its not. Just like.. Many nurses.. unfortunately do it for stability.. and flexibility not all do.. Some do enjoy it a lot more then others. Just like some teacher enjoy it.. there are those who are in it for the perks. As a teacher.. you can even retire and go to another district and work.. in some cases and states. Teachers have just as good health benefits as nurses.. and I heard.. not sure if this is in all states or not.. but.. I heard teachers get to keep their full medical once retired. I knew a teacher that retired at 70 and someone said they raised it to 75. I had a doctor tell me.. that he thought teaching was more noble then nursing.. which was odd. But.. jobs are being created more and more for teachers.. there will always be a need for both teachers and nurses.. You sometimes have to be willing to re locate for a job for a teacher but they are out there. Like anything else. You can Substitute after three years.. In Wisconsin.. they have a Pre School For The Arts.. there are endless opportunities.. while you wait to get into a public school systems.. I have been around both Nursing Staff and Teachers and I must admit that teachers are the most light hearted and fun people. Also.. there are yes.. teachers conference you must attend.. but they can be a way to interact and team up with your Colleagues and to get away now and again. I worked once with a huge.. group of teachers at a Conference and they were a great bunch. You have to get into what you do.. if you rather work with kids and have a personality to do so.. say.. and you go into nursing.. it will show.. that your not a happy nurse. It reflects in your work as does the opposite. The homework you bring home.. depends on the grade you teach.. I worked in a classroom with a Kindergarten Teacher for five years.. She rarely brought any homework home.. she did her easy corrections on her breaks.. lunch.. her kids lunch.. and that was that.. She told me that the first two years were her hardest and every beginning of the year.. getting everyone set up was the hardest then it gets easier.. She loved her job! She loved being silly.. she loved showing the kids new things.. Your choice has to be a part of you... who you are.. inside.. so it shines through. The health care I am afraid to say.. is now and will continue to be going through major changes.. Many Many.. more people are turning towards alternative health sollutions.. and Naturopath Drs. Hollistic Medicine and well being are on the rise.. which is not a main staple in the Medicine we have now. Just some things to consider.. Just some facts... Best Of Luck To You... In The Area You Choose... HUGS:)
    starrfillednights Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland View Post
    You have to do "continuing education" for both nursing and teaching. Things change and update and you have to stay of top of the new information.

Nursing is always in demand but is hard work. Most work 12 hour shifts 3 days on 4 days off. CNA and LPN take less time to get, but earn less. RNs make more, but expect to earn your Master's. Check with your local hospital - many have tuition assistance if you agree to work for them.

My sister is a teacher and isn't happy. There is so much side work teacher's have to do that they never get reimbursed for. She is looking for work outside the education system.

WOW... What A Negative Post... And Not Entirely Accurate! Not all RNs have to get a Masters.. I have two friends who are Associtate RNs and neither has a desire.. or mandate towards their Masters.. in NJ. Second.. every state is entirely differen't for both teaching and nursing professions. Also.. Just because your sister is unhappy.. which is sad.. for her.. doesn't mean the next person will be. My aunt was a teacher and loved it. I met a three other teacher who loved it also. It all depends on the type of person you are.. and knowing ones self. Both.. are great professions with this economy and its all a matter of love and dedication in both areas.. dependent upon which is a better fit for you and your personality.

Mar 20, 2010, 07:40 PM

WOW... What A Negative Post... And Not Entirely Accurate! Not all RNs have to get a Masters.. I have two friends who are Associtate RNs and neither has a desire.. or mandate towards their Masters.. in NJ. Second.. every state is entirely differen't for both teaching and nursing professions. Also.. Just because your sister is unhappy.. which is sad.. for her.. doesn't mean the next person will be. My aunt was a teacher and loved it. I met three other teacher who loved it also. It all depends on the type of person you are.. and knowing ones self. Both.. are great professions with this economy and its all a matter of love and dedication in both areas.. dependent upon which is a better fit for you and your personality.

Mar 20, 2010, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteladybug2002 View Post
    You need a Bachlors degree for nursing or teaching. In most states, you have some many years to complete your masters degree for teaching. I will tell you that nurses are always needed!! Teachers can sometimes find it difficult to find a job, but nurses never do. You can get a masters in nursing and be a nurse practitioner too. I would recommend contacting an advisor from both the nursing and teaching departments and ask all the questions there. They have the answers and are usually more than willing to help!

Good Luck and God Loves You!!
    Not True! I have two close friends who are Associate Degree RNs in NJ> Neither have a four year degree.. let alone a Masters. It is not mandatory.. and they are not mandate to do so. Teachers must have a four year degree. I know.. four teachers whom have BAs not Masters and its not Mandated. All states and hospitals are not the same.
    Myscienceguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2010, 07:37 PM
    Starfillednights and starrynites, I assume that's the same person. This is besides the point, but it would be a whole lot easier to read your posts if you didn't do an ellipses (... ) in every place there should be a comma (,).

To the original poster. I am a certified teacher and have taught for 5 years and I have loved it. If one can keep close in mind their reasons for becoming a teacher, such as molding the minds of our future generations, then teaching will be enjoyable. Keeping your focus is what is difficult. There will be many times when you say, "why do I bother waking up in the morning?" There will also be times you say, " I can't believe I get paid for doing this, its so much fun!!" As with anything, it will have its ups and downs. As for me, I am considering switching to nursing since I was pre-med in college and I have always loved medicine. I have also always loved seeing the "light" go on when a kid "gets it", that is an amazing thing. The fact of the matter though is that those moments are few and far between anymore these days. You will have students who can't spell their name in a 6th grade class and some who are ready for college in the same class, and everything in the middle. You will have usually one set of parents, although you could have two sets of parents or one set that is split up, and don't expect that information will be passed from one party to the next. Parents are often times mean, if your excellent at what you do they are nice. You have to also be able to explain to parents and administration why kids are doing great or not so great and have evidence to back this up. Teaching is a LOT of work but if you are committed to working full time and a half for just the pay of the full part, and you can keep a positive attitude about teaching, then by all means go for it, and go for it with all you have.

I feel that I can be happy in Medicine as a Nurse, or in teaching as, well, a teacher. Nursing is a whole lot more portable then teaching is, which is why I'm looking at a change, but teaching has its perks, especially the inner satisfaction that you sometimes get. This is by no means an every day occurrence and you should remember these, write them down, cherish them, whatever you need to do to hang on to it, because you will need to look back at those experiences to keep you going when you just don't want to go to school and when teaching just becomes another "job".

I hope all of this helps in some way shape or form.
    Myscienceguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2010, 07:37 PM
    Starfillednights and starrynites, I assume that's the same person. This is besides the point, but it would be a whole lot easier to read your posts if you didn't do an ellipses (... ) in every place there should be a comma (,).

To the original poster. I am a certified teacher and have taught for 5 years and I have loved it. If one can keep close in mind their reasons for becoming a teacher, such as molding the minds of our future generations, then teaching will be enjoyable. Keeping your focus is what is difficult. There will be many times when you say, "why do I bother waking up in the morning?" There will also be times you say, " I can't believe I get paid for doing this, its so much fun!!" As with anything, it will have its ups and downs. As for me, I am considering switching to nursing since I was pre-med in college and I have always loved medicine. I have also always loved seeing the "light" go on when a kid "gets it", that is an amazing thing. The fact of the matter though is that those moments are few and far between anymore these days. You will have students who can't spell their name in a 6th grade class and some who are ready for college in the same class, and everything in the middle. You will have usually one set of parents, although you could have two sets of parents or one set that is split up, and don't expect that information will be passed from one party to the next. Parents are often times mean, if your excellent at what you do they are nice. You have to also be able to explain to parents and administration why kids are doing great or not so great and have evidence to back this up. Teaching is a LOT of work but if you are committed to working full time and a half for just the pay of the full part, and you can keep a positive attitude about teaching, then by all means go for it, and go for it with all you have.

I feel that I can be happy in Medicine as a Nurse, or in teaching as, well, a teacher. Nursing is a whole lot more portable then teaching is, which is why I'm looking at a change, but teaching has its perks, especially the inner satisfaction that you sometimes get. This is by no means an every day occurrence and you should remember these, write them down, cherish them, whatever you need to do to hang on to it, because you will need to look back at those experiences to keep you going when you just don't want to go to school and when teaching just becomes another "job".

I hope all of this helps in some way shape or form.
    indecisive12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2010, 11:52 PM
    Myscienceguy, as a teacher, you need to learn the difference between 'your' and 'you're' before you start picking on anyone else and their use of commas!

As for the teaching or nursing question. I'm a teacher who is now studying to become a nurse. I think that it all depends on the type of person you are. As a teacher, I could no longer cope with the unreasonable demands of parents and the bad behaviour of students (and I worked in private schools only).

With teaching, you might get good holidays, but you won't get any time off during term time, expect reports, marking, parent/teacher interviews, sport, debating, meetings etc etc to use up any of your spare time. Then expect to get sick in the first couple of weeks of your holidays as your body winds down from being so busy. But this only happens if you are a teacher who actually cares about what you are doing and wants to do a good job. I know many teachers who only do the bare minimum and that gets them by (don't know about the impact this has on their students though).

I couldn't 'switch off' and stressed about work all of the time, but I also expect to feel the same way about nursing. I care about what I do and I expect anyone in either of these professions to care about their work so I wouldn't expect either of these professions to be free from stress. The rewards come when you have helped someone achieve something - whether it be in class or in a hospital ward.

It is up to you and where you see yourself and how you think you will feel about your chosen career down the track. No one can tell you what is best for you until you try it out, only an insider's view can help you make your decision and no one else's opinion will help you either, you really have to decide for yourself. I'm still tossing up going back to teaching... BOTH careers are HARD WORK if you want to do them properly and the remuneration for either of them does not equate to the amount of effort and hard work that you invest.
    kmj82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2010, 01:23 PM
    I am a nurse considering a career change to teaching. It is true that there is flexibility in nursing with 12 hour shifts, etc..,. but you also have to consider your weekend and Holiday requirements. I wouldn't say the pay is really that much better than teaching, unless you have an advanced nursing degree, or you want to work a LOT of overtime. I have a family member who is a teacher, has great benefits and makes 50k more than I do as a nurse! Starting the salary of a teacher isn't that great, but in the long run it is a much higher salary than any staff nurse is making (even with overtime pay). I understand teachers work long hours (I am married to one) However, if you calculate all of their paid time off and break down their salary, it really isn't that bad. If I had to do it all over again, I would have gone into teaching... Oh Yeah and don't forget the LIFE or DEATH aspect of nursing too... more stressful than a classroom of crazy kids!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Teaching [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to know if there are some cool internet pages about "English teaching as a second language". Thanks

Teaching isn't for me, now what? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, This is my 2nd year teaching and I'm miserable. I love "teaching," but feel I'm unable to do that because of all of the politics involved. I have a BA in Elementary Education from a N.C. university and need some direction towards another career path. I have only 5 months of this school...

Is teaching hard? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I'm in my first year in college and I'm plannig to major in education for elementary, I would like to know if being a teacher is too much, meanig if it's a stressful job or a fun job? Also is it hard to study to be a teacher, its hard for me right now, as a freshie but I'm worried that it...

Teaching interview [ 1 Answers ]

can anyone help sum of the universities are asking me to do an discussion why I want to be a early years teacher, bring a journal or book or activity to show an understanding for teaching early years and say how it benefits the children help help help:(... I do have an idea is it good enough I was...

Teaching [ 3 Answers ]

Which fields or careers are most welcoming to former teachers or teachers seeking to transition out of teaching?

View more questions Search