Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shylahm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2015, 09:41 AM
    Skip a Grade
    Where can I find a test in Breaux Bridge LA for my 13 year old daughter to skip 8th grade. My daughter currently makes A's and on occasion B's and I think and so does she that she should skip 8th grade next year and go straight to 9th does anyone know where I can find a place like that. She is talented and smart and she should be able to move onto bigger and better things, she now works on an 10th grade level and she is only in 7th. Can someone help?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 09:53 AM
    Contact area high school principals. They would know which tests she would need to take.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2015, 10:05 AM
    Why haven't you spoken the guidance counselor at her school? As far as I know there are no standardized tests that a student can take that would autocratically allow then to skip a grade. Requirements for doing so would be at the school district level, maybe even down to the school. So have you talked to her counselor at school yet?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2015, 04:24 PM
    You would go through her school for this but I would look at factors additional to academics. Where I live, advanced high school students can finish their requirements for graduation early but defer graduating until their class graduates. In the last year or two, they take advance placement courses and can even take classes for free as part of their high school accommodations at the local community college. Then they graduate with their friends and start college a year ahead academically, sometimes even as a sophomore or junior. Many of these kids soar through college faster too but move on to graduate classes. The benefit to this is that first, they get a lot of free college courses. Second, they stay with peers socially. Your eight grader may be ready for high school classes, but will your 16 or 17 year old be ready socially to handle college social situations? Many highly gifted kids can be a little behind socially, and may not be able to handle situations like college parties, dating, drinking, managing money or home sickness, and may not fit in with roommates as well as they will when they are older. My son is a sophomore, also academically gifted. The challenges have not been academic - he has had the most challenged with dating (first big breakup was brutal) and money and other social transitions. Also, by junior year, they are 21 and your daughter will be left out. You may not want her in a bar anyway, but that is college and fitting in is important. So I would not push her to skip a grade.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 05:29 PM
    Do you know is your school is a unit district which covere grades K-12 or is it a k-8
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2015, 07:20 PM
    There is no one "test" to allow a student to skip a grade.
    The issue will be, not how good she does not, but does she know the material, she will learn during 8th grade, to make good grades in 9th grade.

Also the issue of leaving all of their friends, being a year younger than other classmates for the social side of high school.

Also not all schools will even allow it, so you start with the school counselor and will normally have to discuss it with the principal also.

For my son ( he skipped two grades over the past 8 years) it involved taking the CAT (what our school program used) and he had to make above average grade on not his current school year, but for the year he wanted to skip. Then he had to take end of the year testing (standardized testing) for the Math and English and Science that would be taken during the year he wished to skip.

As a parent of a child who has skipped, I personally do not advise it, Let them be kids for as long as they can, this just moves them closer to graduation, moving out to college and more.

The one year may not sound like a lot,but the social and emotional growth is issues that needs to be addressed.

At this point, I have a 14 year old, that can not associate well with children his own age, he finds them too immature and wants all the freedom of 16 and 17 year olds.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2015, 04:24 AM
    The others make an important point. Your daughter is at a very pivotal age now. While she may be perfectly capable of doing advanced academic work, there is the social aspect to consider also. Also academics get exponentially harder at this point. I breezed through school until 10th grade. Because of that I failed to develop good study habits so when I hit the advanced studies of High school I started to have problems, not because I couldn't learn the work, but because everything had come so easy up to that point, that I expected that to continue.

I really like dontknwnuthin's idea. Rather than have her skip grades, she can start taking more advanced classes and do college level work while staying with her age peers. As she gets into high school, the grade she is in matters less and less. She will get a schedule of classes to take. Rather than stay with the rest of her grade, she can take advanced classes that will give her college credits.

But this is why you BOTH should be sitting down with her guidance counselor who can help her find the best course.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to skip a grade in ny [ 2 Answers ]

HI I was wondering how does my daughter skip a grade because she was held over in second grade and now she is in 7th grade going in 8th grade. Now she is suppost to be in the 8th grade going in 9th but I was wondering what do I have to do starting from next year when she begins the 8th grade if she...

How can I skip a grade [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the 8th grade I got held back in the 1st grade and I wanted to know what summer stuff I can take to get to my right grade?

Can I skip my child to 6 grade to be in her right grade [ 2 Answers ]

My child work very hard she and the fourth grade need to be and fifth she feeling sad that next year she want be and six grade I do to. Can she go to summer school and skip a grade

How can I skip a grade? [ 3 Answers ]

I really want to skip 8th grade and move on to high school because I am basically the oldest. I flunk 3rd grade but science than my grades have been pretty good except for 1 report card I got a 60 in one class and 70s ,but I ussually get 80s and 90s even 100s. I think I was going through a really...

View more questions Search