Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bauerjab Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2005, 11:43 AM
    Drain King/Possibility to burst PVC Pipe
    I have a pool which has 1&3/4" PVC pipe going from the pool (the skimmer) to the pool pump. The pump suctions water in from the pool.
    Unfortunately, debris (leaves and pine needles and other stuff) has gotten into that line (it is about 30 feet long) and partially clogged the line.

Part of the PVC pipe is above ground. Most is below.

I used a drain king to partially open the line. It worked best when I briefly covered the opening to the line, thereby briefly increasing the pressure inside the line. I still need to still declog the line, but am concerned that I can burst the pipe if I allow too much pressure to build up. How long can I allow pressure to build up before the PVC pipe will burst?

I will also try using a snake, but there are 90 degree elbows and I am not sure the snake will accommodate those.

Thanks in advance

John :confused: :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2005, 12:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bauerjab
    I have a pool which has 1&3/4" PVC pipe going from the pool (the skimmer) to the pool pump. The pump suctions water in from the pool.
    Unfortunately, debris (leaves and pine needles and other stuff) has gotten into that line (it is about 30 feet long) and partially clogged the line.

Part of the PVC pipe is above ground. Most is below.

I used a drain king to partially open the line. It worked best when I briefly covered the opening to the line, thereby briefly increasing the pressure inside the line. I still need to still declog the line, but am concerned that I can burst the pipe if I allow too much pressure to build up. How long can I allow pressure to build up before the PVC pipe will burst?

I will also try using a snake, but there are 90 degree elbows and I am not sure the snake will accomodate those.

thanks in advance

john :confused: :confused:

Hi John,

Max pressure on 1/3/4" schedule 40 is 370 PSI. On schudue 80 it's 520 PSI.
    If you plan on snaking the line out, (recommended) then I suggest using a 1/4" cable with the tip reversed so you go in with the plain end. That will get you around the elbows. Good luck, Tom

Jun 16, 2005, 12:09 PM
    Drain King/Possibility to burst PVC Pipe
    Thanks for the response.

In terms of time, if I am running a garden hose and I block the line, how long will it take to reach, for example, 370 PSI. Also, how do I know if it is "schedule 40" type PVC.

John
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2005, 03:09 PM
    Thanks for the response.

In terms of time, if I am running a garden hose and I block the line, how long will it take to reach, for example, 370 PSI. Also, how do I know if it is "schedule 40" type PVC.

John
    Hi John,
    "if I am running a garden hose and I block the line, how long will it take to reach, for example, 370 PSI?"
    It depends on the garden hose and the pressure behind it. If you're inputting. Say, 400 PSI I figure about 3 or 4 seconds to blow up your hose. If you have attached the hose to a outside hose bib, never. Usually they use schedule 20 0r 40 on pool lines. My guess is #40. Tom

Jun 16, 2005, 03:40 PM
    Drain King
    Many thanks Tom.

I am merely running the garden hose from a spicket on the outside of my house to the PVC pipe.

Based on what you said, I now know that I can not blow up my PVC pipe. And surely I won't blow it up if I hold the line closed at for 15-20 seconds.

I am holding the line closed with the palm of my hand. Do you have any idea at what pressure my palm will simply not be able to hold back the flow of water. Is it far below 370 PSI?

Thanks again.

John
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 16, 2005, 03:50 PM
    Many thanks Tom.

I am merely running the garden hose from a spicket on the outside of my house to the PVC pipe.

Based on what you said, I now know that I can not blow up my PVC pipe. And surely I won't blow it up if I hold the line closed at for 15-20 seconds.

I am holding the line closed with the palm of my hand. Do you have any idea at what pressure my palm will simply not be able to hold back the flow of water. Is it far below 370 PSI?

Thanks again.

John

John, You're going to have a problem holding back 60 PSI with the palm of your hands. What kind of pressure will a Drain King generate? Tom

Jun 16, 2005, 03:57 PM
    Drain king
    Tom,

I have no idea what kind of pressure the drain king generates, but it is not much. That is because the clog is not that bad. It is merely clogged enough to prevent my skimmer from running perfectly. So when I run the drain king, if I do not create pressure, water flows through easily.

For reasons you may understand, the clog seems to get declogged if I create a pressure by holding the line closed and then suddenly letting go, thereby creating a "pulse" of higher pressure water.

I appreciate your responses.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Pipe Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We have had trouble with the water emptying completely out of our washing machine. The drain hose goes to a drain pipe behind the washer. We discovered today the the drain pipe itself is partially blocked. We used both a Snake-It auger & commercial strength Drain Out crystals to unblock it but to...

Housing Bubble-when will it burst? [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone have a year or date that the housing market will collapse and come crashing down faster than anyone can imagine? What will this do to our economy? Have read lots of different points of view and the one that stood out the most was when the housing market starts to crumble when it's over we...

Help me with my Drain Pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I had ceramic tile installed in an upstairs bathroom and a laundry room last week. I removed the toilet from upstairs bathroom and a washer and dryer from the laundry room on the main floor prior to installation. I put the toilet back on this week and reconnected the washer and dryer in the...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Kitchen drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

In a sink located in the second floor apt kitchen the drain line under the sink draining away from the sink pitches upward into the soil pipe causing the sink to back up. What should do to remedy this? Should I also remove the old soil stack going up to the roof because of possible blockage in the...

View more questions Search