Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2006, 04:50 AM
    Best Firewall and AntiVirus Apps
    I've used Norton Internet Security for many years. No virus, worm, trojan, etc. has ever made it to my PC.

My subscription is up and I want to look at other options. Of course the priority is reliability, but nearly equally important is that it must not be resource intensive.

1. What Firewall and AntiVirus apps do you use and why do you like it.

2. Are there any that you would recommend against? If so, why?

Thanks!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 22, 2006, 04:58 AM
    I'll answer your question out of order.
    2. Avoid Norton like the plague. More often than not it causes more problems than it solves. This is certainly the case with XP sp2.
    Also Don't go for an All-In-One package as these can be a nightmare to troubleshoot.

1.I use McAfee Enterprise AV and a Hard "bottomed" hardware firewall.
    The AV is set to scan on read/write and to DELETE anything iffy it finds, no questions asked!!
    This includes all joke programs and anything else that isn't possibly work related, mind you it hasn't killed my Command & Conquer install ;)

Forgot to mention that I also do regular spyware scans with Adaware, spybot and what ever I happen to be testing at the time.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Jun 22, 2006, 05:12 AM
    I run Zonealarm Security but turn off the antivirus(worse or same par as norton) and leave the spyware detector on...

Antivirus I have a freebie called AVG.. works excellent... havent had a virus yet

Norton use to be my choice but its such a resource hog...
    I went with ZA security suite because the firewall has more layers of protection than the free version of ZA...

Even though I have the spyware turned on... I still check my system with Spyware Sweeper... does a great job and digs deeper than ZA can but is a resource hog so I use it only when I run my weekly cleanups.. finds a few more thing than ZA does

So in a nutshell
    ZA Security Suite(because free firewall version offers less protection)
    AVG Antivirus(because ZA isn't that great)
    Spy Sweeper spyware detector(only when I do my deep spyware cleaning.otherwise I use the ZA anti-Spyware )
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2006, 08:22 AM
    Hi,
    I have a dial-up phone line connection... bad, bad, bad.
    Don't use a Firewall; don't need it.
    But, I really do like AVG. I had Norton, and did get a couple of viruses past it.
    Reason I changed to AVG was to just try it. Now, like it much better, with almost everyday updates of "antivirus definitions". I bought it, cause I didn't like the advertisement attached with every home email I sent. The "free" version doesn't have the "turn off" option for the ad.
    It's about $39 for 2 years.
    I haven't had any viruses get past it yet, after about 2 years.
    Another reason I didn't like Norton, was there is rarely any feedback from Symantec through email. Also, when it came time to "renew" my subscription for Norton, there were problems with doing that also. So, changed it to AVG.
    Best wishes.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2006, 10:13 AM
    I agree with Ben on Norton. I use Computers Associates E-Trust products.
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Jun 22, 2006, 01:35 PM
    Scott, I am glad you said that about E-Trust. I started using that since I got it free from my broad band supplier after my Trend Micros Suite ran out. You like the E-Trust? I had problems with my computer freezing up in the beginning using it. I just make sure I wait until it fully loads which seems to take a few minutes more than Trend did. I haven't had any problems with it so far other than that.

Jun 22, 2006, 03:30 PM
    I've been using E-Trust for a few years now. I actually purchased a sub before my Broadband provider started including it. I do agree it takes a little longer to load. Generally I leave my PC on and when I have to reboot, I walk away until its done. But I get almost daily updates and I've never been infected. E-Trust is also much less of a resource hog and much less intrusive than Norton.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2006, 11:45 PM
    I'll also chirp in on Norton - it's very resource hungry and not that great.

Firewall, I use Zonealarm as a software firewall but I also have my router with it's hardware firewall.

As for Virus projection, although I use Avast if I went for a paid solution it would probably be Eset's NOD32. It's always done extremely well in all the virus scanner tests I have seen. There's a free 30 day trial on the download page so feel free to give it a try.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 04:14 AM
    I think I'll go with ZoneAlarm and AVG.
    Thanks, all!
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 04:28 AM
    ZoneAlarm freebie has "Basic Firewall" and Pro offers "Triple Defense Firewall".

How safe is average Joe User relying on the Basic? Is the Triple Defense just hype?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 04:29 AM
    Good luck on the uninstall of all things Norton, hehe. It often leaves behind lots of registry keys and other detritus. Check on their site if they have a "cleaner" for your CIS install.

Edit: I use the basic ZoneAlarm. Ever since using Firefox spyware has not been a problem. I still update Spybot for the Immunize feature.

Jun 28, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Basic will not deter a talented and determined hacker. But that would mean someone has specifically targeted you and has the knowledge to follow through. Basic is sufficient to turn away the script kiddies and trollers just looking for open machines.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 06:04 AM
    Need: What do you mean by cleaner for CIS install? What is CIS?

Interesting that even after uninstalling NIS and rebooting, I still get the LiveUpdate thing trying to access the Internet. Is this one of the things a "cleaner" would get rid of?

Scott: I joked in the comment, but seriously: This site gets enough views to make me wonder if I should delete that I say I have it - or edit the post to be just asking about it. Am I too paranoid do you think?

Jun 28, 2006, 06:08 AM
    Hey, with my outspoken nature, I should be more worried about being targeted then you. ;)
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Oops, my bad, I did indeed mean "NIS". Yes, the leftover component you see is typical of what I have seen and heard about Norton uninstalls.

Check here: http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...&osv_lvl=&seg=
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 07:12 AM
    That link just shows how to delete the app from CPanel > Add/Remove Programs.

I'll do some surfing for something to clean up.
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 07:14 AM
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...=&osv_lvl=&seg=
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 07:18 AM
    Aah, you beat me. I see it now halfway down the page of the first link.
    Thanks, Need!
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 07:20 AM
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Sheesh! 25 minutes later and the removal tool is still running - and apparently only about 75% done.

The bums.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Antivirus In Zip Format [ 6 Answers ]

Please tell me about download site having all good antivirus in zip format for download.

Firewall/antivirus [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me if they like or dislike the EZ Armor Security Software that comes with roadrunner? I have been trying to look at reviews but can't find any. Also, can anyone tell what they think of Trend Micro's firewall protection. I currently have this for my virus protection but wasn't...

Antivirus... [ 11 Answers ]

May I get some advise, its about what is the best antivirus that I can use that won't make my PC slow, this antivirus will be install to a none network or no internet PC so that means I need a antivir that no updating require but if there is how can I update this antivir to a no internet PC......

Antivirus [ 4 Answers ]

Hi pals I'm confused about selecting the antivirus for my PC ,can u tell me which is the best antivirus and also the best among the free antivirus softwares

Apps to ensure PC health. [ 3 Answers ]

What Apps do you consider a must to ensure the health of your PC ?

View more questions Search