Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JonM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Toilet is leaking from the bottom
    I have a leaky toilet, the water is coming from the bottom of the toilet. I removed the toilet, replaced the wax ring, put the toilet back, and within a day or two it began to leak only when you would flush. One side note it is mounted on top of the tile should it be mounted at floor level? Is this keeping it from getting a good seal?
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jun 22, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Take it off again and see if the wax seal is smushed at all. It should be.

If not, get an extra-tall one (they make them for this purpose) or stack two together (take the plastic ring off the top one)

The toilet is usually mounted on top of the floor surface, and the flange should be too... or at the very worst flush with the floor surface. If your flange is recessed, there are top-mount flanges that you can add.

BUT.. personally I hate the wax rings. I will always use a Fernco wax-free if I can.

Here's the Fernco:
    Fernco, Inc.

They are even reusable, if you take it off the toilet again you can just glue it back onto the horn again using RTV silicone or similar.

The Fernco seems to be harder to find, but is worth it imo. More commonly available at Home Depot etc are the Fluidmaster wax-free seals, but I only thought of the reuse-the-Fernco trick because I was unhappy with the Fluidmaster I had bought.

~aaron
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 23, 2007, 06:36 AM
    You miught also install a wax seal with a funnel, (see image). Another solution, if the flange is below the floor line, would be to bring the flang up to grade using flange extenders,(see image) Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water leaking from bottom of furnace [ 4 Answers ]

Just noticed today that water is coming out of bottom of furnace. Not much but wondered if anyone knows what it could be. Its an older furnace, just regular kind. Water heater is about 1 foot behind the furnace. I've had the a/c running a lot because of hot weather. Could it have anything to...

Leaking toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I went away on vacation Florida... turned the heat down to about 65, I usually keep it at 68-70... when I came home and flushed the toilet... water seeped out of the back where it's bolted together... I looked inside the tank and where it's leaking from it looks like there is a bolt with a washer...

Toilet leaking [ 2 Answers ]

I have a toilet on the main level of a two story house, NO basement or crawl space. Sometime during the something happened with the toilet... in the morning there was water all over the floor in the bathroom and in the hallway. What do I check first to find where the water is coming out? I have...

A/C leaking and Frost at Line's Top and Bottom [ 5 Answers ]

Noticed last night that hardly any air is coming out of vents, so when I checked unit, I noticed water on the floor. Felt the line and had Frost at top and bottom. Then took out air filter and stuck hand inside and felt a drip. Any suggestions on where to start?

View more questions Search