Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twitherspoon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2005, 08:07 PM
    No cold water from kitchen sink
    Any help is appreciated in advance.

Before I call the plumber because I'm a plumbing novice. I thought I would search the internet and see what I can find out.

For some reason today my the cold water faucet in my kitchen sink is no longer working. The hot water flows just fine, but not the cold. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but we just bought a new refrigerator the day before. The old refrigerator just had an ice maker this one has an icemaker and dispenses water. Could the fridge be taking all of the water from the pipe that use to go to the sink. Can anyone help me in solving this mystery or give me things to check first. I would really like to fix this myself than to call a plumber.

Thank you guys.

- Tony :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 23, 2005, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twitherspoon
    Any help is appreciated in advance.

Before I call the plumber b/c I'm a plumbing novice. I thought I would search the internet and see what I can find out.

For some reason today my the cold water faucet in my kitchen sink is no longer working. The hot water flows just fine, but not the cold. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but we just bought a new refrigerator the day before. The old refrigerator just had an ice maker this one has an icemaker and dispenses water. Could the fridge be taking all of the water from the pipe that use to go to the sink. Can anyone help me in solving this mystery or give me things to check first. I would really like to fix this myself than to call a plumber.

Thank you guys.

- Tony :confused:
    Hey Tony, Good morning,

First of all, the ice maker supply is 1/8" tubing that runs only when it fills the ice cube tray or when you draw a glass of water. It's not taking water away from anything.
    Let me explain what's happened. In connecting up the new ice maker line the cold water supply to the sink was disturbed and dislodged some crud that was on the pipe walls. This crud was drawn up into your faucet where it is now blocking the inlet ports of your faucets cartridge.
    You will have to shut the water off to the faucet and open up the valve and check the inlet ports of the cartridge. Then place a pan over the open valve body to prevent splash and turn on the cold water for a minute to flush out the cold water supply line. To get more specific I will need the brand name of your valve and about how old it is. Good luck, Tom
    twitherspoon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2005, 03:56 PM
    Speedball,
    All of a sudden this morning it started to work again. Should I still do as you say and check the cartridge?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 23, 2005, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twitherspoon
    Speedball,
    All of a sudden this morning it started to work again. Should I still do as you say and check the cartridge?

No, the trash has eventually worked on through. However I would take the aerator off and check the screens. Glad you're all fixed up. Tom
    nuh141 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2012, 01:44 PM
    The cold water in my kitchen just quit working but the hot water is working just fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Little Cold Water and plugged sink [ 1 Answers ]

Very little cold water is coming into the shower and tub faucet although it is doing fine to the toilet and sink. Someone told me the faucets may need to be taken apart and cleaned but I don't know how. The faucets are barely a year old. We are on well water. The bathroom sink is real sluggish...

No cold water pressure in kitchen [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved in a month ago and from the beginning and the water pressure on the cold water side in the kitchen faucet is very low. The hot water is normal and all the other faucets seem to have normal pressure. Any suggestions?

Cold water in bathroom sink lacks pressure [ 3 Answers ]

No other outputs affected. Recently, had sprinkler system put in. They cut main line and patched it. At first, lots of muddy water was coming out of sink, toilet and shower. Then all water stopped. They found the debris in the pipe and cleaned it out. All worked well, but now my cold water...

Cold water no longer running to one sink. Also lots of air [ 3 Answers ]

I moved in about a month ago to a 1920's duplex. Most of the plumbing was re-done when the house was gutted in the '90s, and there was an addition added (with PEX plumbing, incidentally) in 2001. When we bought the house the addition had been winterized. I've de-winterized it and now have a few ...

Low cold water flow/pressure in kitchen sink [ 6 Answers ]

We live on the 6th floor in a 12-story condo building and have always had low cold water flow/pressure in the kitchen sink. The hot water is OK, as is the cold water in the bathrooms. I've adjusted the pressure valve under the sink to get as much flow/pressure as possible, but the stream is barely...

View more questions Search