Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    volkswagenfmhs Posts: 28, Reputation: 0
    -

Apr 17, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Working in Paris
    I'm 15 and I want to move to Paris, france when I turn 18. I would do anything to be there, will someone help me find out how to get there and get a job and be a citizen.
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

Apr 18, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Hi,
    Just my opinion, but I don't think 15 is old enough to go to a foreign country by yourself! Some possible issues:
    1) Do you have parents? Would they let you go? What do they think?
    2) What about finishing school? Would you want to drop out at 15? What about a TEMPORARY foreign exchange program?
    3) Would someone in France sponsor you?
    4) Can you even get a visa for working or travel when you're under 18?
    5) Do you even speak fluent French? It would be next to impossible to get a job and a place to live if you don't speak the language. ( I know that immigrants do it here, but they usually end up in jobs like janitorial or farming, not professional)
    6) Money! Travelling is expensive!

My point is... wow! Perhaps this is not a wise choice for you. Maybe wait until you go to college. Then, you can enroll in an international studies curriculum or go into international business. Even then, depending on the college, there's no guarantee that they have a specific Paris, France program for exchange students/studying abroad. My college does, but the program is intense (business (finance, marketing), language (at least 2 years), years of coursework). Please think about this--you're a bit young!
    kp42484 Posts: 39, Reputation: 16

Apr 19, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Sorry to not respond privately, but perhaps others might have input on this as well.

I would say then, when you turn 18, go to college and talk to an advisor about exchange programs. That way, you can see if you like the experience first, and then if you do, you can use the contacts you made in France to get jobs and place to live. I think the exchange program would give you a foot in the door and experience. Lots of foreign companies enjoy having American student workers as interns, and possibly after doing that, to hire! As for the legality, you can look up information on how to get a foreign visa and passport: http://french.about.com/library/bl-liveworkinfrance.htm

The above link looks good to me as a place to start! Do your homework and good luck!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 25, 2006, 06:00 AM
    First and most importantly, parlez-vous français ?
    Pour avoir n'importe quelle chance dans un pays étranger, particulièrement quand il vient à trouver le travail, vous DEVEZ pouvoir parler la langue de loacl fluantly, comme un indigène. Si vous ne pouvez pas réaliser même cette chose nécessaire la plus fondamentale puis vous êtes des plans êtes condamné à l'échec.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to go to school in Paris [ 6 Answers ]

I really want to live in Paris, France... And I'm an america. I would do anything to live there, and I was wondering as a possibily to get there and stay, how could I get into a French college, like the Sorbonne. Can you tell me how to get in, the equivalency of our grades levels to there's, our...

Paris Etching Society [ 1 Answers ]

I have an etching by Paul Emile Lecomte and the Paris Etching Society that has been handed down for several generations in my family. The title of the etching is "The Hamlet in France" / "Le Hameau". It has the letters SZL in a circle and then in the bottom left hand corner NO. 8. It is...

I'm From Usa Where Should I Go In Paris [ 2 Answers ]

Who other but the people that actually live there knows better than PARIS. Ill be visiting soon. I would like for several suggestions where and what should my family and I visit in paris. Thank you...

View more questions Search