Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janedoe Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2006, 10:15 AM
    Water cuts off in shower after replacing faucet fittings
    I just replaced the fittings (that the knobs turn on & off) for the shower in my bathroom (shower only, no tub). Water turns on fine for both hot & cold, however when I turn the knob to the right (down) for the cold water, after a few seconds/minutes the shower head starts shaking/rumbling and all the water completely cuts off (stops coming out). As I only replaced the fittings I can't figure out why. Any ideas? No other water issues in the house.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2006, 10:49 AM
    Please explain "fitting". Do you mean the shower valve itself? Single handled shower valve? What brand is your valve? Please explain your problem in more detail. Thanks, Tom

Dec 6, 2006, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Please explain "fitting". Do you mean the shower valve itself? Single handled shower valve? What brand is your valve? Please explain your problem in more detail. Thanks, Tom

Please forgive me if I don't explain this correct, I'm very very new at this stuff

This is the faucet valve I have, when you take off the knobs there are little 1 - 1-1/2" plastic fittings/part that screws in (this part opens and closes the water flow) that is fitting/part is the only thing I replaced.

If you need more info I can take pics tonight and post tomorrow.

TIA again
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2006, 11:32 AM
    We need to get on the same page Jane,

You keep saying shower valve yet show me a picture of a bathroom sink faucet. I guess I'll wait on the pictures. Also give me the brand name of the valve along with the pictures. Take your time and don't feel bad about not knowing the proper names for things. Cheers, Tom

Dec 6, 2006, 12:10 PM
    Again apologizes

The link I sent is for all pages of the catalog, my mistake for not paying closer attention

This time I'm attaching the pictures - lets hope it works.

The brand is Ultrafaucet.

If this doesn't work or help I will just wait and post pictures tomorrow

Thanks for your patience
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Dec 6, 2006, 04:50 PM
    OK Jane!

Shut the water off and remove the cold water stem and cartridge assembly. Look for signs of any crud that my be blocking the inlet port. Now turn the water back on to flush out the supply. Reassemble and test. Good luck, Tom

Dec 6, 2006, 05:51 PM
    I will try what you suggested. I tried to attach a pics of my faucet but it is to big and once again I'm clueless on how to make it smaller.

Dec 8, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Hi Tom,

I tried what you suggested, it worked for just a few minutes then went back to the same thing as before. I have another question for you - could this happen (water cuts off) because I need to change the shower head?

When I removed the hot & cold water stems I turned the main water back on and the water shot out (the faucet holes) just fine with good pressure and all, however when I put the stems back on it did the same thing as before... it possible I need to replace the cold water stem again?

I have pics of my faucet only I can attach it here because it says its to big and I don't know how to reduce it - if you want to see it is it possible to email to you?

Thank you very much for your help!

Being on a limited budget I wanted to exhaust all avenues myself first.
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 8, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Now let'sremove the shower head and turn the water on. Full stream? If so, there's a rubber washer or a metal disc in there called a "water saver" pry it out and toss it. Blow through the shower head to be sure it's not clogged and try it again. Good luck, Tom

Dec 11, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Now let'sremove the shower head and turn the water on. Full stream? If so, there's a rubber washer or a metal disc in there called a "water saver" pry it out and toss it. Blow through the shower head to be sure it's not clogged and try it again. good luck, Tom

Hi Tom,

I removed the shower head and turn the water on full blast (hot & cold), water runs fine. Turned the cold water down works get for a few seconds/minutes - then the noise and the water cuts off.

Is it possible the faucet stems could be bad/flawed? If you have no other suggestions, then I suppose its time to call in the plumber.

Thanks for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen: water always coming from shower head when faucet is on. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I just installed a moen l82839 shower/tub assembly. The problem I am having is that when I turn on the water, just to the tub, water comes from the shower head. The knob that turns on the shower head on the faucet is down, noting is leaking otherwise. I don't know what's wrong. Its like there...

When sink faucet on shower water pressure returns [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone. Looking for help on returning hot water pressure to my shower. I've replaced cartridge and verified that there is no clog at masterbath shower. I was able to do this by turning on masterbath faucet and seeing that full hot water pressure was returned to shower. Also the faucet...

Replacing a shower/tub faucet [ 1 Answers ]

How difficult is it to replace a 1-handled shower/tub faucet with a 3-handled faucet? Do I have to make new holes in the tile? What about doing the same with a sink?

No hot water in shower after replacing faucet [ 1 Answers ]

We just replaced the faucet for the shower in our bathroom (no tub, only shower). Water turns on & off fine & the pressure is good. However, when we turn the knob to the left (hot), we do not get hot water after this replacement. As we only replaced the faucet, we can't figure out why. Any...

Low water pressure on cold side of shower faucet [ 3 Answers ]

What should I do (look for) to find out why the cold side of my shower faucet has developed VERY low water pressure, but not the hot side. The sink faucet in that same bathroom is fine on both sides. All other faucets in the house are fine on both sides. I don't have a hot water tank...

View more questions Search