Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jennifer288 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Shower Leak and toilet leak in different bathrooms
    Hi,

Leak 1.
    Last week I noticed a water stain in my ceiling below my shower. The stain is about 1 foot to the left of where the drain would be. The stain on my ceiling is in the shape of an "L" .

Leak 2.
    I hope this is unrealated to Leak 1. There is a stain on my ceiling which I noticed tonight. It is right were the toilet should be, although I don't know if it's the water pipe going into the toilet or the base of the toilet. What are toilet leaks from. The floor is dry, the toilet has not overflowed. I did notice two days ago that it runs, so I shut off the water valve 2 days ago, but noticed the leak tonight. What is my first course of action with this toilet.

PS: Leak 1 and Leak 2 are on the second floor of my 11 year old home. The are in different bathrooms which are approx 40 ft apart.

I appeciate any advise. Thanks. Jennifer288
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Jennifer, we need to take these isue one at a time because they probably aren't related, I hope. Are both ceilings made of drywall? We may need to know this depending on what you find when we take apart the shower mixing valve. No need to shut the water off in the basement for this. Remove the handle on the shower valve and then the escutcheon plate, usually two screws. If you don't know how to remove the handle a brand name or pic would help us. Get the plate off and use you nad, flashlight and a small mirror to look and fell the pipes that feed the shower. Look and feel everything and use the mirror to see the floor inside the wall cavity. Come back when you are done.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Leak #1, the shower.

The most common place for a leak to occur in a shower is where the shower head arm screws into the pipe in the wall. This is especially true if you have one of those pulsating shower heads. Pull the escutcheon (that ring around the pipe), away form the wall and with a flashlight look in the hole to see if there is any signs of water.
    Next remove any knobs or handles and other trim around the valve and look there for water. Is this a shower only or a tub and shower? What type of shower walls do you have, tile, fiberglass surround or one piece tub and shower? If tile walls, look for loose or missing grout. Do these things and get back to us. We have to first determine if the leak is in the supply or the drain.

Leak #2 the toilet.

Since the floor is dry and the toilet has not overflowed the most likely reason for a leak is a deteriorated wax ring. Does the toilet sit flat on the floor and not move? Replacing a wax ring is fairly easy but requires removing the toilet. If your toilet runs constantly you have a defective fill valve. If it comes on and goes off every few minutes you have a defective flush valve or flapper.

Two leaks 40' apart are not likely related
    Jennifer288 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Since I haven't used the shower since this morning, do I need to run the water first before removing the plate, so that if that's were the leak is, I will feel/see it. Thanks Jennifer288

Mar 13, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Good observation, this tells us it is not the supply pipe to the mixer. It could be the drain or the pipe from the mixer to the shower head. Lets try the drain first. Take a screw driver or pencil and poke a few holes about 2" apart whereverthe ceiling got wet, you need to patch anyway. Fill 3-4 buckets with water and dump them into the shower one at a time and then wait to see if the ceiling gets wet again. Come back with your results. I'll be up for a while longer.

Mar 14, 2008, 07:51 AM
    Jennifer, from your PM I see that the buckets of water did not wet your ceiling so the drain is probably not the issue. Now you should remove the handle and the escutcheon plate, turn on the shower and look/feel inside around the mixing valve to see if you can find any wetness. Check periodically to see that the ceiling is dripping via the holes you poked. Harold gave you the same idea. We are trying to find the leak by process of elimination. Lets keep all exchanges here on you original post so Harold can see what's happening too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet/Shower leak [ 2 Answers ]

Every time we use the shower water drips down into the basement. Behind the shower plumbing is the master bedroom toilet. I have taken off the drywall between the two, from the toilet side, and I can't see any leaks in the shower plumbing. In poking around I have since noticed that the flooring...

Bathrooms shower leak [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 bathrooms only separated by a wall. It is on a slab. Now when we run either shower the water comes up from the floor between the floor and wall. It is like a flood. I thought it was the connection between the shower head and wall that I need to recaulk it. But in one shower we have a hand...

Engine Oil Leak/Antifreeze Leak--2001 Chrysler Town and Country [ 1 Answers ]

My 2001 T & C has 82K and what I am told, by a reputable source,but not a mechanic, is an engine oil leak. The leak seems to be toward the front and middle. I haven't noticed an oil smell, any smoke, etc... but we are also trapped in below zero weather in Nebraska. I was also told there is an...

Upstairs leak from bathrooms [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an upstairs leak emitting from both bathrooms whenever the tubs are used... and seemingly when the toilets are used, also (if that's possible?). I'm also concerned about some loud popping noises that seem to be coming from the waste pipes... and sometimes a 'howling' noise... this could...

2nd Story Shower and Toilet Drain Leak [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: Yesterday, I noticed a dripping sound on the 1st floor ceiling of my home when the up-stair "master" bath shower was being used. I now hear even louder dripping sounds when the up-stair master bath toilet is flushed. I do not hear dripping sounds when the up-stairs "guest" bath toilet...

View more questions Search