Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mad1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Gift from Non resident alien to US citizen
    My dad who is an Non-resident alien would like to gift some amout ~$30,000 from the sale of foreign assets in the foreign country into my foreign bank account, which currently has only $100.00. He will be immigrating to the US during dec'09. For 2009, he will be a Dual status alien, i.e NRA till Nov30th 2009 and RA from Dec 1st -> Dec 31st.

Here is what I want to confirm if my understanding is correct.

1. I don't think my Dad is subject to gift tax bcos at the time of gift he was still a NRA and it non-US asset.

2. Will he have to declare anything on FBAR form for 2010, for period when he as an NRA?

3. I will have to declare my foreign bank account in FBAR for 2010 bcos amount in 2009 as a result of gift exceeded $10K. Should I attach a gift deed along with the form?

4. Are there any other filing documents that I need to send?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 07:59 PM

1. If your dad files dual status for 2009, then he does not have gift tax reporting requirement during nonresident period.
    2. Same for FBAR.
    3. Yes, you must file FBAR for 2009. You do not attach any document with FBAR. FBAR is not filed with the tax return. Any other Form is generally filed with the tax return.

Sep 20, 2009, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    1. If your dad files dual status for 2009, then he does not have gift tax reporting requirement during nonresident period.
    2. Same for FBAR.
    3. Yes, you must file FBAR for 2009. You do not attach any document with FBAR. FBAR is not filed with the tax return. Any other Form is generally filed with the tax return.
    Thx for your reply. Have One more question sir

Bcos my parents are dual status residents for 2009 (NRA from Jan -> Nov) and (RA from Nov -> Dec) are they required to file any federal return for 2009. Under the following situation.

1. My dad is 70+ and my mom is 63.
    1. They only received income from foreign sources (sale of foreign assets) during the non-resident period. They don't have any US assets.
    2. No foreign / US income is expected to be received after their entry into the US in Nov 09.

Now w.r.t to filing their income tax returns in 2011

1. Their next income (pension) approx $1.5k/yr + some misc bank interest < $1k/yr , is expected to be received in April 2010. Are they required to file in 2011, even if their un-earned income (pension + bank interest) < $3k for 2010?

2. Can they be claimed as dependent(s) on my tax return in 2011, they would be living with me for the entire year in 2010 and I will be providing all their support.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 11:23 AM
    They WILL have to file a dual-status return for 2009.

1) For the 2010 return, their income level will be so low that NO U.S. tax return should be required.

2) Yes, you should be able to claim them on YOUR 2010 tax return as dependents. They do not even have to live with you.

Sep 21, 2009, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert View Post
    They WILL have to file a dual-status return for 2009.

1) For the 2010 return, their income level will be so low that NO U.S. tax return should be required.

2) Yes, you should be able to claim them on YOUR 2010 tax return as dependents. They do not even have to live with you.
    Could you please elaborate on what they would file on the dual-status return for 2009.

They have'nt received any income from US sources during the NRA period. They only received interest / dividends from the foreign country in the NRA period. Since all foreign income is exempt in the NRA period, what information should they put in the 1040NR form?

Secondly. During the RA period (nov09 -> dec09) they don't have any income from foreign or US source? What do I fill up on the 1040 form?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 04:42 AM

They do not have income tax return filing requirement.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2009, 12:03 PM
    I disagree with MukatA.

At face value, there seems to be no filing requirement. However, there is no audit trail for the foreign-sourced income, so there is no way for the IRS to determine what IS reportable during the RA period unless you make the effort to report it.

Further, you state "during the RA period (nov09 -> dec09) they don't have any income from foreign or US source."

How is this possible? Did they close ALL of their foreign bank accounts, brokerage accounts and sell all of their stock and other equities before coming to the U.S. If not, then those accounts continued to pay interest and dividends during the RA period.

If you do not properly allocate the annual dividend and interest payments to the NRA and RA period in a dual-status return, the IRS will do it for you, and they will assume that it is all taxable. Hence, if all of the dividends and interest is sufficient large enough to be subject to taxation, then it is in your best interest to file the dual-status return to properly allocate the money to show that no taxes are due.

Ultimately, it is your decision, but, when dealing with the IRS, it is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry!

Sep 23, 2009, 09:14 AM
    I disagree with MukatA.

At face value, there seems to be no filing requirement. However, there is no audit trail for the foreign-sourced income, so there is no way for the IRS to determine what IS reportable during the RA period unless you make the effort to report it.

Further, you state "during the RA period (nov09 -> dec09) they don't have any income from foreign or US source."

How is this possible? Did they close ALL of their foreign bank accounts, brokerage accounts and sell all of their stock and other equities before coming to the U.S.? If not, then those accounts continued to pay interest and dividends during the RA period.

If you do not properly allocate the annual dividend and interest payments to the NRA and RA period in a dual-status return, the IRS will do it for you, and they will assume that it is all taxable. Hence, if all of the dividends and interest is sufficient large enough to be subject to taxation, then it is in your best interest to file the dual-status return to properly allocate the money to show that no taxes are due.

Ultimately, it is your decision, but, when dealing with the IRS, it is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry!
    Yes he is closing all his stock accounts. The only thing remaining after he comes here would be a single bank account. The interest will mostly paid in around October. I don't have a problem filing a dual tax return, but just trying out what to fill in the 1040NR and 1040 forms.

Since all income / dividends are foreign source and received in the NRA period, what do I report on 1040NR form.

If they do receive anything in the RA (nov-Dec09) then I can easily put them in the 1040 form. If they don't receive anything in the RA period, should I just put zeros and attach an explanation saying that they have'nt received any income and produce the bank statement that shows that they did'nt receive any interest from Nov - Dec09?

Also I have one more question from the experts here. Since my dad is selling all his stocks / assets and gifting it to me, which option is better so that he never incurs a gift tax. All this will be done before he sets his foot in the US as a "NEW PERMANENT RESIDENT"

1. Wire transfer the proceeds (cash) from his foreign bank account -> my US bank account. I read some articles saying that IRS can deem that it might be treated as a tangible property and they recommened option (2).

2. Transfer the proceeds from his foreign bank account -> my foreign bank account and then I wire the proceeds to my US bank account.

With option 2 I would have to file FBAR form next year. I am just trying to judge which is a better option. Everything is legal here, just want to take advantage of NRA tax benefits before he becomes a Resident alien.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 23, 2009, 09:45 AM
    If there is NO U.S.-sourced income during the NRA period, you may be submitting essentially a BLANK Form 1040NR in terms of the financial information. A fair number of the dual-status returns I prepare have no financial data on it, which is why you can use Form 1040NR-EZ as the dual-status statement.

However, the IRS does want the information on Page #5 to be accurate and up-to-date.

Sep 23, 2009, 09:53 AM
    If there is NO U.S.-sourced income during the NRA period, you may be submitting essentially a BLANK Form 1040NR in terms of the financial information. A fair number of the dual-status returns I prepare have no financial data on it, which is why you can use Form 1040NR-EZ as the dual-status statement.

However, the IRS does want the information on Page #5 to be accurate and up-to-date.

Thank you very much. I will be safe with IRS than sorry. Can you also answer the following question

Also I have one more question from the experts here. Since my dad is selling all his stocks / assets and gifting it to me, which option is better so that he never incurs a gift tax. All this will be done before he sets his foot in the US as a "NEW PERMANENT RESIDENT"

1. Wire transfer the proceeds (cash) from his foreign bank account -> my US bank account. I read some articles saying that IRS can deem that it might be treated as a tangible property and they recommened option (2).

2. Transfer the proceeds from his foreign bank account -> my foreign bank account and then I wire the proceeds to my US bank account.

With option 2 I would have to file FBAR form next year. I am just trying to judge which is a better option. Everything is legal here, just want to take advantage of NRA tax benefits before he becomes a Resident alien.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 24, 2009, 08:18 AM
    Use option #2.

While BOTH options are legal, #2 has the least likelhood of falling afoul of scrutiny by the IRS.
    craines Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 09:38 AM
    If a persons father in Switzerland would like to give $50,000 to his non resident alien daughter by wire transfer is there
    Any gift tax?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Negative. Give taxes do NOT apply to persons who are NOT U.S. residents.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 07:10 PM

Is the person or the person's father a U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2010, 07:14 PM
    Good point; I assumed the Swiss dad was a Swiss national.
    sedona09 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2010, 02:02 PM

Father is in india - resident and citizen of indai. Son live is us as a citizen. What are the filing requirements if father wires money in us dollars to sons joint (with sons wife) bank acccount. Are there any filing requirements for son? Filing requirements for father? Taxes due?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2010, 02:04 PM
    There is no tax due, but you may need to file Form 3520 to show from where the money came.
    NYLawyer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2011, 12:55 AM
    There are various exceptions and your best bet would be to check with the IRS first. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I Jointly file tax return with spouse (resident alien & non resident alien) [ 1 Answers ]

I am in H1B worked in two different states in 2008 01Jan08 - 25Feb08 - Texas 05May08 - 13Aug08 - Texas 14Aug08 - 31Dec08- Illinois Note: march-April in India Spouse moved to US on 24 Oct 2008 in H1B got SSN in nov and doesn't have W2 for 2008 1. As per substantial presence test myself...

I was non-resident alien in 2007, but resident alien in 2008. Stimulus payment? [ 6 Answers ]

I was non-resident alien and filed 1040NR in 2007, but I was resident alien in 2008 and am filing 1040-EZ with Turbo tax. I am also seeing that, on the instructions for form 1040, it says: "This credit is figured in the same manner as the economic stimulus payment you may have received in...

Gift to resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

A father who is a Dutch citizen wants to transfer $500,000 (or portions of it) to his daughter, who is a resident alien (green card) living in the US, and she's married to a US citizen. 1. Does the daughter (or her US husband) have any tax liability in the US? 2. The receiving US bank will...

Status changed from resident alien to non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

I was under F1 from Aug 2002-May2007, OPT from June 2007 to Sep 2007 and now on H1-B from Oct 2007. I am married and my wife's status changed from F2 to H4. My questions are, 1. Am I considered as a dual-status(resident alien from Jan to Sep and non-resident alien from Oct to Dec)? 2. Which...

View more questions Search