Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    argonaut Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2003, 11:45 PM
    Norton confused
    I just changed from a dial-up connection to wireless DSL.
    Now Norton Anti-Virus is unable to download updates.
    I;m using XP Home. What internet options require a change?

Many thanks.
    coreybryant Posts: 134, Reputation: 2

Mar 5, 2003, 10:18 AM
    Norton confused
    Go to Live Update - hit the configure button
    Make sure that I want to use my Internet Options HTTP settings is checked under everything

Hope fully that should do it. Your program might differ somewhat depending on what version of Norton you are using.

Corey

Mar 5, 2003, 12:03 PM
    Norton confused
    Hi Corey. Thanks much, but that would just be too easy!
    I'm using Norton Internet Security 2003. No "Configure" button comes to my attention - anywhere. Thanks much, but I got to keep trying.

Mar 5, 2003, 03:22 PM
    Norton confused
    Hm, well I did a search on the symantec web site & I did find how to run the LiveUpdate & it shows a configure button. I am going to try to paste the URL:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...003_tasks.html
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...003_tasks.html

Hopefully one of those worked. If not go to:
    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/support_options.html
    And click on Start Online Support & choose your product etc. That should be able to walk you through on how to run a live update.

Corey

Mar 5, 2003, 08:23 PM
    Norton confused
    Many, many thanks to you, Corey. I honestly did not mean to take up so much of your time! Your long URL worked perfectly. But the ball now is in their court. For reasons totally unknown to me my software lacks a feature depicted in their Live Update graphic. Mine just does NOT have the "Configure" dialog box! Consequently I have no way to advise the program of my change of ISP!

Again my thanks. Really appreciate your help.

Mar 5, 2003, 08:26 PM
    Norton confused
    No worries. At least I thought I knew what I wa talking about. :) Good luck with them & hopefully they will get it fixed.

Corey

Mar 6, 2003, 11:28 PM
    Norton confused
    Final answer FYI:

Hello Bob,

Thank you for contacting Symantec Online Technical Support.

In your message you wrote:
    > my problem arises from the fact that my Live Update lacks a
    Config dialog box!

Bob, this issue occurs when LiveUpdate is running in Express mode. LiveUpdate 1.8 has two modes, Interactive and Express, and the configure button is available only in Interactive mode. You need to change the mode in Windows Control panel. The following link provided below will help you in this regard:

Title: 'How to change modes in LiveUpdate 1.8'
    Document ID: 2002121013485013
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support...013?Open&src=w

In your message you also wrote:
    > Changed from dial-up to DSL connection.
    ErrorMessage: Initializing...
    Connecting to liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com...
    Unable to connect to host
    LiveUpdate could not connect to your Internet Service Provider. Verify your dial-up information is correct.
    LiveUpdate session is complete.

This issue arises if you have changed your Internet Service Provider (ISP) from a dial-up to a cable connection, then the settings on your computer may still be configured for a dial-up connection. To resolve this issue you need to change the settings in 'Internet Properties' as well as in 'LiveUpdate'. Please refer to the article provided below for steps to configure Internet Properties for your Internet connection:

Title: 'Message: "Connection to ISP failed . . . Verify your dial-up information is correction."'
    Document ID: 2003021810385213
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support...213?Open&src=w

Please refer to the article provided below for steps to configure LiveUpdate for your Internet connection:

Title: 'How to configure LiveUpdate for your Internet connection'
    Document ID: 2000071310294913
    > Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support...913?Open&src=w

Whew! So easy - yet so hidden >:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Norton Error LU 1875 [ 1 Answers ]

I keep getting this error when I try to update my virus definitions LU 1875. I have 49 days left on my subscription. I also get this message. LUCALLBACK PROXY.EXE BAD IMAGE And this also. CLTLUCBK.DLL IS NOT A VALID WINDOWS IMAGE Any ideas on what this is? I ran the norton autofix and...

Norton or AVG [ 3 Answers ]

I run Windows XP and norton anti virus but I still get viruses so I downloaded AVG but I'ts making my machine run slowly - do I need both? Can I get rid of Norton and still be protected? How can I speed up my machine? I've run disk cleanup, I don't have temp files cloggin it up, since...

Norton Internet Security [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys Please help me I have recently installed Norton Internet Security 2005 onto my XP machine. I have created a situation whereby I am still the administrator but have changed my name to dad. This now means I can't log off as dad and log back on as administrator. I have tried creating a new...

Norton/system restore [ 13 Answers ]

Hi there, As a newbie could use some help. My system restore does not restore. When I try to restore to previous setting it appears to go through the motions and then says it cannot restore. I have set new restore dates but it still does not restore. Read somewhere system restore is a useless...

Uninstall Norton [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Until I can fit a new system in my budget, I'm stuck with my Windows ME. How do I uninstall Norton Security and Norton Anti-virus system? At one point I did hit uninstall in the programs list, now I can't find it anywhere, it's not even in install/uninstall programs. Also when I try to...

View more questions Search