Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CAROLEEJOHNSTON Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2004, 06:32 PM
    Hot Dogs For Dogs
    My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2004, 07:20 PM
    Four hot dogs a day, and there are 10 in a pound package? Sounds like too much and too much fat. The hot dogs may be delicious, but are not the carefully formulated, complete and balanced diet that even the cheapest commercial chows provide. For a light eater, I would chose one of the concentrated, meat based dry dog foods, Pro Plan, Iams, Eukanuba, or a house brand. Put out half the recommended amount for a day at each feeding. Take up what isn't eaten in 15 minutes. Do not offer any more food or treats until the next scheduled feeding. Repeat. Adjust the amount to were all you offer is eaten. Check her ribs at least once a week. Compare them to this guide, http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292. This is not easy, but what is good for her to extend her life. With good care, small dogs are fine companions for a long time, always still too short. Grit your teeth and do it. I had a shepherd go 3 days without eating. She was fine, I was a wreck. Your vet will confirm what I say.
    CAROLEEJOHNSTON Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2004, 07:47 PM
    Thanks For Your Advice... we Have Tried So Many Dry & Canned Dog Foods & She Turns Her Nose Up At Them... but I Need To Do What's Best For Her Health. So I Will Keep Looking. Suppose I Were To Give Her Cooked Lean Ground Beef?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2004, 08:18 PM
    Dog nutrition is a very complicated thing. It is beyond most dog owners to formulate a good diet and so easy to use a commercial one. Check her ribs, check that site. I think you will find she is over weight. It is almost unknown for a healthy dog to harm itself when offered food. They do damage the owner's mental state. It is really hard, but in her best interest.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Dec 19, 2004, 02:52 AM
    What type of food did you find that your dog will eat? Were you feeding your dog table scraps possibly? That would make any dog picky about dog food after it has had a strong taste of what you eat.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 19, 2004, 10:03 AM
    Hot Dogs For Dogs
    I have a male Shih Tzu,5 years old, that's also a picky eater. I feed him canned dog food. If he sticks up his nose at it, I wait 15 minutes and stick it in the fridge. That night I take it out agan and offer it once more. Sooner or later he'll get hungry enough and wolf it down.
    Listen to labman, dogs are his thing and he's good at it. I coppied the link he gave you. It's a great help. As for table scraps, my pooch has the pitiful look of a starving animal down pat. It's hard not to resist when you're feeling guilty about eating in front of him but it's for the dogs own well being. Good luck, Tom
    Nana60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2010, 03:03 PM
    My dog actually gets so picky, she won't eat for 3 days and then vomits bile. I never gave her people food and did the 15 minute thing. She still does this every so often, it usually lasts 3 days. Then she goes back to normal. She likes 1/3 wet food and 2/3 dry... I try to give variation to the wet and that seems to work best. She's 18 months old.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2010, 04:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana60 View Post
    My dog actually gets so picky, she won't eat for 3 days and then vomits bile. I never gave her people food and did the 15 minute thing. She still does this every so often, it usually lasts 3 days. Then she goes back to normal. She likes 1/3 wet food and 2/3 dry... I try to give variation to the wet and that seems to work best. She's 18 months old.
    Try to check the date on posts... this one was from 2004:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Too Many Dogs? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have five dogs. The first one we got is a Yorkie/lasa mix His name is Teddy, he is about 18 months. We then got a Yorkie, Benjie, he is just a year+ then came a little Poodle, Peep and her brother Mr Brown, they will be one on February 1st. I am having a problem house training them all....

Ban of pit bull dogs [ 82 Answers ]

----------------- Bulletin Message ----------------- "Rep. Wesselhoft said the proposed bill will also include provisions designed to bring about an eventual ban of pit bull dogs in the state. The grandfather clause contained in the bill would allow for the continuing existence of pit bulls...

Dogs and swimming [ 3 Answers ]

I take my lab swimming regularly and was wondering how long can he swim for without coming back. The reason I ask is that he sometines can't find the ball but will not come back without it and I worry that he might not make it back. Any info is appreciated.

Rescue dogs [ 1 Answers ]

We acquired a rescue dog (chihuahua), that is, a dog kept in its kennel all its life by a puppy mill. We were very concerned to discover the other day that the dog was eating its own feces. Apparently there are certain animals in the wild -- types of snowshoe hares for instance -- that re-cycle...

Cut on My dogs lip [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I would like to know about a cut on my dogs lip the reason for the cut is that a dog got loose and came and fought him but before we could break the fight he got caught on the lip and he has a big cut on his lip and I would like to know if its necessary to have it sewed up or the wound would...

View more questions Search