Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sleepy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2005, 11:49 AM
    Msmsgs at 100% CPU Usage
    Running Windows XP Home and keep hitting a problem.

PC (Athlon XP 3.2Ghz) suddenly slows down to doing not a lot, when pressing the CTRL ALT DEL to bring up the task manager msmsgs.exe is at 100% CPU usage.

I can close this process down and the PC is fine again for a few moments. Shortly after this iexplore.exe suddenly jumps up to 100% CPU usage. If I close this process down there is not much left on my screen apart from the desk top!

I had this problem about a year ago for a few months, and then it just dissappeared - but is back with avengance now!

I have ran Norton System Works 2005 and Tune Up Utilities 2004 and solved any problems lurking on my PC. Running Norton Antivirus as part of Norton Internet Security 2005 and Microsoft Anti Spyware. I am hoping this is good enough precaution!

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Alan
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2005, 12:44 PM
    Do you use MSN Messenger?

If not, use one of these methods to remove it from your system altogether.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2005, 04:45 AM
    CPU usage
    Hi,
    You can also check on what programs are starting up when you boot up the computer.
    Go to Start/Run , then type in MSCONFIG
    In that window, at the top, click on the StartUp tab.
    Look to the left, and scroll down, to see all that is starting up when you boot up the computer! Best there is a lot!
    You can left click on any item (such as anything that says "auto update", or start "MS word", or anything else that you don't need starting), to remove the checkmark, then click on Apply and OK.
    Reboot the computer.
    If you have unchecked anything you really need, then you can always to back and re-check it.
    This might be a long shot, but you can also run a Spyware scanner, if you don't already have any. Here are some, with suggestions on how to use them:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3
    (If you use the Spyware Blaster free program, then don't set SpyBot to the Immunization feature)

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE V 1.06

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    This program stops this stuff from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing URL's in the browser, stopping them instantly. One of the Very Best free programs anyone can download!

SpyWare Blaster 3.3

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Since you already have the MS Anti-spyware program, you probably don't need SpyWare Blaster... but in my opinion, it is better. Others have their own opinions, of course.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    Sleepy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2005, 11:36 AM
    Thanks Guys, will have a look at the Spyware program you have suggested. I already use a program called StartUp Manager and I keep monitoring this to ensure I only have what I want starting up! Amazing how quickly these progs add themselves to this list! Great to have an alternative to Microsoft Spyware though, so will give that a try tonight.
    Regarding removing MSN : I do use MSN a lot as my only communication device, so would hate to loose it. I have tried to uninstall the prog, but it is obviously not really uninstalling as so much information is still there when I re-install. Would it be safe to remove MSN with the URL you suggested and then add it back afterwards?

Many thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CPU usage at 100% [ 20 Answers ]

My computer recently started to be very slow. I have a 800 mghz pentium. I'm running XP. I did a complete virus scan with Norton and found nothing. When I look at the processes, I can see the CPU is running at 100% most of the time. There's no specific file that is using all the power. Why is...

Pf usage [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering why my pf usage sky-rockets every time I open a specific folder. This folder is used to store all my Utorrent downloads. My system runs at about 375mb (pf usage) when hardly worked, then when I open this folder (named Downloads) 5 seconds later the pf usage goes up to 500mb then...

CPU Usage Remains at 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Recently, I discovered the CPU usage on one of my PCs will not fall below 100%. I've attempted everything I can think of to resolve the issue, including: - Running Ad-Aware SE - Performing an online scan from Trend Micro - Performing an online scan from Panda Software - Running Registry...

CPU Usage @ 100% [ 3 Answers ]

Every time I log onto the Internet, my CPU usage goes from like 2% to 100%. Once the page loads, it dies back down, but then when I click a link and try to load another page it goes back to 100%. Plus, the Comcast logo spins, then stalls, then spins, then stalls until the page loads. It never...

Please Help! I can't sole my problems... (wmiprvse, msmsgs, MediaPlex, Avenue Inc.) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi to everyone. I think have a serious problem here. My machine is based on WinXP Pro @ SP2 w/ Firewall ON and I use antivirus Symantec Norton 2005 w/ Internet Worm Protection OFF and use toscan for spywares with SpyBot S&D 1.31XT. I get strange lookups of some apps like IExplorer or eDonkey2000...

View more questions Search