Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmgeorg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 08:23 AM
    "Bang" when toilet flushed
    The first time a toilet is flushed in the morning, we get a loud 'bang' sound (very rude awakening!). We've isolated it (I think) to an outgoing problem by turning off the water supply to the toilet and then flushing it. What could be causing this?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgeorg
    The first time a toilet is flushed in the morning, we get a loud 'bang' sound (very rude awakening!). We've isolated it (I think) to an outgoing problem by turning off the water supply to the toilet and then flushing it. What could be causing this?
    It sounds like you might have a faulty ballcock. Do you get a "bang" when any other faucet is shut off? Regards, Tom
    jmgeorg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 12:32 PM
    No, there's no feedback from any of the faucets (which rules out water hammer). And I don't think it's the ballcock, cause it happens on both the toilets, depending on which one gets flushed first in the morning, but I'm willing to test that idea. How would I go about it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmgeorg
    No, there's no feedback from any of the faucets (which rules out water hammer). And I don't think it's the ballcock, cause it happens on both the toilets, depending on which one gets flushed first in the morning, but I'm willing to test that idea. How would I go about it?
    But there's a "bang". We install air chambers,( shock absorbers) to absorb "bangs". I know of nothing that would cause a bang in the water lines except water coming to a sudden stop. By the way are you on a pump or city water? If on a pump please describe the set up. Why not recharge your air chambers just to check it out. Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers. Good luck, Tom
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2006, 05:21 PM
    It would be nice to know when this started and how long it has been doing it. Is the first flush in the morning the only time it does the "bang" or does it do it sometime later after the commodes have not been flushed for several hours?
    It also might help if you would try to describe the "Bang" does it sound like it is coming directly from the commode or does it sound all over the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Toilet , 4" pvc to 3" cast [ 4 Answers ]

I have a home with a basement and problems with a toilet on the first floor. I had to repair the floor because the old cast flange was leaking. I cut out The flange and around 4 foot of old cast 3" pipe. I repaired the floor and used a 4" pvc flange and 4" pvc pipe with a 4"to3" rubber boot to...

Two parts: moving toilet over 4" and connecting to 4" black plastic to make shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi friends, I have a concrete slab foundation. In one full bath, I'm changing out the tub to put in a sauna tub, going from 60x30 to 60x32. The toilet is right next to the tub, so I want to move the toilet over at least 4" and change the sink to a pedastal sink to make room for the move for...

View more questions Search