Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2016, 07:52 PM
    Misuse of relationship
    Just would like confirmation of what I think.

I have reviewed some documents regarding a proposal brought by the President of a non profit(honorary position) to use the organisation he heads to obtain a grant to set up a new organisation of which he would become the CEO (paid position). This new organisation would then contract marketing services for the non-profit and receive services from a third organisation of which he is currently a paid executive (2IC) seliing these services to the non profit.

As far as I'm aware this person has not formally declared his vested interest to the non profit board although they would be generally aware of it.

Board members has been expected to endorse the course of action without reviewing the proposal in detail under the threat that there is a time limit on acceptance

I see that this as a misuse of his relationship by seeking material gain while an officer of the non profit, this is precluded in the rules. It is also unclear specifically what would be done with the grant money which is about $500,000 as the non profit becomes the vehicle for receiving and disbursing it and the function of the new organisation is not its core business

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 6, 2016, 12:36 PM
    This smells. It is imperative that the full board be aware of the conflict of interest here. And it is illegal for a board member - especially an officer - to steer business from the non-profit to his own outside company.

It's unclear to me what your role is here - please elaborate. Are you reviewing this grant request on behalf of another non-profit (a foundation perhaps) that is being solicited for funds? If so, you could require that the non-profit soliciting these funds provide minutes of a board meeting where the board voted to support the grant request and acknowledges the apparent conflict of interest of having one of its own board members being paid to provide a service. Finally, the board should affirm that any dealings with outside for-profit companies by the non-profit or its subsidiary be done at arms-length (i.e. with a proper bid process).
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2016, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    This smells. It is imperative that the full board be aware of the conflict of interest here. And it is illegal for a board member - especially an officer - to steer business from the non-profit to his own outside company.

It's unclear to me what your role is here - please elaborate. Are you reviewing this grant request on behalf of another non-profit (a foundation perhaps) that is being solicited for funds? If so, you could require that the non-profit soliciting these funds provide minutes of a board meeting where the board voted to support the grant request and acknowledges the apparent conflict of interest of having one of its own board members being paid to provide a service. Finally, the board should affirm that any dealings with outside for-profit companies by the non-profit or its subsidiary be done at arms-length (i.e. with a proper bid process).
    I am a former president and a member has made me aware of this
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 8, 2016, 06:41 AM
    The board member should talk with the board chair (you say the President is an honorary position, so I assume there is a chair who is NOT the president, correct?), and let him/her know of the member's concern, and that it needs to be brought up at the next board meeting. But I wonder: if this is an honorary position is it non-voting? Some boards honor retired board members with designations such as "lifetime trustee" or "trustee emeritus" who are not voting members - is that what this person is?

As an aside, good governance practice for non-profits includes making sure the by-laws have specific rules about handling of conflicts of interest for board members. There should also be a standing Governance Committee whose role is to regularly review the board's bylaws and policies for ways to strengthen the organization. Really strong non-profits have written policies in this area, and require that the board review the policy annually.
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2016, 05:59 PM
    The position is both Chairman and President as per the Constitution. The President has been confronted by the member who is not a Board member and has ducked for cover. There are not only policies with the organisation regarding declaration of interest, the state department administering associations also has strong rules which are being contravened but they won't act until the proposal is acted upon. The only way to resolve this is by calling a special meeting of members

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misuse of charitable funds? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm an animal lover, and recently donated to a 501c3 (along with many other people) to help buy heartworm medication for 2 rescued pit-bulls. The director of the rescue recently notified us that the foster family that was supposed to be caring for the dogs spent literally all of the money on...

Misuse of a C.S. Database [ 18 Answers ]

I have just been charged with a felony 3 for obtaining information from a controlled substance database. I am 1 of 3 co-defendants. This is my first offense. I have been told through consults I will probably get 30 days in the county jail and another said it's possible but I can probably get...

Misuse of visitation [ 5 Answers ]

I live in western New York in Chautauqua County. I have two boys with a jerk. I have full custody of both, but I only have set visitation arrangements with my youngest boy. The visitation is supposed to be every other weekend Friday at 5 pm till Sunday at 6 pm with his father. Now on several...

Adderall misuse [ 2 Answers ]

Adderall misuse effects?

Router`s in misuse [ 1 Answers ]

One of my client is using the wireless connection. He is using westell versalink. He is not able to connect through the wirless connection, however the same laptok {vista} is able to recognise the neighbour`s connection.:confused:

View more questions Search