Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DON299 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2005, 10:19 AM
    Leaking Shower Drain Tile Floor
    Hi- I purchased this house two years ago and at that point the stand up shower had some sort of sealant that was placed in a very sloppy manner around the drain. However the home inspector said it was OK although to me it looked like something to worry about. Well now I have a leak bad enough to ruin a 1,000 popcorn ceiling I just had done. After tearing all that down I can see that it doesn't look like the drain itself is leaking but next to it were this odd looking sealant is. It looks like body putty almost, but harder. The water seems to have traveled down a beam and damaged a lot including starting mold to grow. What is this sealant? Do I get more of it and try it. Is there any other option? Help please.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 4, 2005, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DON299
    Hi- I purchased this house two years ago and at that point the stand up shower had some sort of sealant that was placed in a very sloppy manner around the drain. However the home inspector said it was ok although to me it looked like something to worry about. Well now i have a leak bad enough to ruin a 1,000 popcorn ceiling I just had done. After tearing all that down I can see that it doesnt look like the drain itself is leaking but next to it were this odd looking sealant is. It looks like body putty almost, but harder. The water seems to have traveled down a beam and damaged alot including starting mold to grow. What is this sealant? Do I get more of it and try it. Is there any other option? Help please.

Hey Don,

Are you saying it's leaking from where the drain seals to the shower floor?
    If that's the case then the drain must be loosened by loosening the retaining nut underneath the drain body. The drain hole and the drain lip must be cleaned of all the old sealent. Run a rope of plumbers putty or Silicon Caulk, (the sealant you were asking about) around the lip and retighten the nut and squeeze out the excess. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile Shower stall leaking [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a shower stall a year ago. It has begun to leak. It is on the second floor, and I was able to open the ceiling just below it to see. The water is leaking from around the drain itself. The shower stall pan was installed with a poly sheet.. according to the directions... so that...

Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the...

Tile floor drain in a new shower [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a 4' by 8' double shower in a master bathroom. I will be tiling all the walls as well as the floor. The floor right now is 3/4" cdx plywood with another layer of 1/2" cdx plywood over that for strength. I have a pvc pipe stubbed up in the middle for the floor drain, and that is as...

Fix water leaking through tile on shower wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have a shower where water is leaking through the tiles on the wall, leaving puddles on the floor. There are visibile gaps from where the tile shrunk along the lowest row of tiles right above the bathtub. Do I need to remove the tile and then recaulk, or simply recaulk where there are visible...

Tile floor shower drain leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 65 year-old Spanish style house and I have a Tile floor shower drain leaking problem. When I apply silicon around the connection of drain and tile, it temporally stop the leak, however. A couple of weeks later, it leaks again. Any advise or recommendation of a handyman will be greatly...

View more questions Search