Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2007KEN Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Sep 17, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Home/family protection
    I looking into purchasing a firearm for home protection. It's either a Glock G19 9mm,
    Glock G23 40 S&W or Sigarms P229R 9mm or 40 S&W. Which is the better firearm
    As far as quality, safety and stopping power?
    Being this is my first firearm, I will take the appropriate safety courses and joining
    A gun club.
    Leslie H Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 2007KEN
    I looking into purchasing a firearm for home protection. It's either a Glock G19 9mm,
    Glock G23 40 S&W or Sigarms P229R 9mm or 40 S&W. Which is the better firearm
    as far as quality, safety and stopping power?
    Being this is my first firearm, I will take the appropriate safety courses and joining
    a gun club.
    It's more about which one you feel the most comfortable handling. As for stopping power the type of ammunition you fire has a lot to do with it. All of the guns you mentioned have the availability to use what is called "personal protection" bullets.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 17, 2007, 09:10 PM
    If you are getting it only for in the home protection, none of them, if you want a home defense weapon a short barrel 12 gauge pump shot gun is by far the best home defense weapon, ( no aiming required)

And unless you are going to spend hours at the range every month ( and already are a good shot) you have no business using a pistol for self defense. Even trained police officers in actual exchange of gun fire only hit about 25 percent of their shots, a 9mm or a 40 will go though several inside walls, so if you shot at someone in the kitchen, you can hit your family member in the bedroom though a couple of walls.

Also unless you know beyond a doubt that you can kill someone ( and this is where many people freeze, or delay ) you don't need any firearm.
    Spanky07 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 08:52 AM
    I agree with Fr_Chuck, a short barrelled shot gun would be a better choice for somebody who has little or no experience handing firearms. I would also advise the ammo have a high number of shot or pellets as this would lower the chances of a letal outcome

I would also advise against direct action, it would be far better to have your family regroup in a single room which you could defend easier, after all the contents of your home can be replaced, you or another family cannot!
    ZKiLLa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Home protection,Gun?
    Ok If you live in a really really really bad area, Maybe get a gun.
    Sorry was going to go on about it, but if you don't mind killing someone who you don't know just because they maybe? Accidentley jumped your fence. Well go for it.
    Me I would prefer a dog, Most Criminals won't go near a place that has a dog.
    Much better to avoid the situation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Do I have to leave the family home when divorcing [ 4 Answers ]

Do I have to leave the home when divorcing

Not on deed to family home [ 1 Answers ]

mother passed away aprox 3 years ago and put her marrige to 3 years husband on deed now husband my father in law has died in February and his sons did a quick deed on home and has clean on the house and has put up for sale with out any consent for me at my mothers funeral we all agreeed that ken my...

Eviction from Family Home [ 3 Answers ]

Father 89+, 80% blind, dimensia, alcoholic, 50% incapacitated has indicated he has attorney to evict me (and my Mom if she objects) from familay home. I have lived for over ten years, pay rent, utilitis, some food (which I do not partake in), care for house, yard. Mom does not want me out as she...

View more questions Search