Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daniigurl Posts: 75, Reputation: 3

May 28, 2014, 12:04 AM
    Anorexia?
    Hello,
    I was curious if it is possible to have non-self induced anorexia? As far as normal definitions go for anorexia, I realize it's an eating disorder centered around an obsession with starving one's self for the sole purpose of control and weight loss. However, I've done some research and have noticed that some websites/doctors categorize it also as just a loss of appetite and weight loss. This made me wonder if it's possible to be diagnosed with anorexia by being extremely underweight and just suffering from a very suppressed or highly fluctuating, but inconsistent appetite. Just curious if anyone may have some insight on this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 28, 2014, 01:28 AM
    While anything is possible, normally no. The person may not even be aware of it, and it is a mental perception and they not see anything wrong with what they are doing. And mentally they just repress the hunger feelings or deny them. But if they are at that level of effecting health, normally it will still fall into a mental issue.

But of course all medical causes can and should be reviewed,
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 28, 2014, 02:10 AM
    Anorexia is a medical term for unintentional loss of weight or appetite.

Anorexia nervosa is the term for the mental illness you speak of.

They are two total and separate diagnoses.
    daniigurl Posts: 75, Reputation: 3

May 29, 2014, 12:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Anorexia is a medical term for unintentional loss of weight or appetite.

Anorexia nervosa is the term for the mental illness you speak of.

They are two total and separate diagnoses.
    It seems like the two get taught synonymously, but so much so that it's only viewed as a mental illness. I recently finished a nutrition course that touched briefly on this and it covered mostly anorexia nervosa/bulimia. All the research I've seen tends to disregard the first definition and focus more on the latter definition, as well. Thanks for clarifying!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anorexia [ 8 Answers ]

OK so if you don't eat for lets say a week how much does thar effect your body?Will you get any skinnier?With you working out everyday too.Also what damage would it do to you?Or if you only eat about 300 calories a day and still work out everyday.So if you did this for about a month how much would...

Anorexia [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 29 mum of 2. for the past few weks I have had no appetite thus I don't eat. Its becoming a real problem. I am 169cm and weigh 42.4kg. I don't want yo lose weight.

I can't get over my anorexia! [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 and I am very skinny for my age. Until a few months ago I ate the normal amount someone should and did lots of exercise (I ride everyday) but suddenly, I can't even remember how it happened, I thought I was fat. At that time I only weighed 42kg and my doctor said I was on the end of the...

Can't get over anorexia? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, 4 years ago I became anorexic, its hard to even remember why it happened, I just know every time I weighed myself or looked in the mirror I was fat! I was only 16 and didn't think any thing of not eating for a week and then only eating 500 kcals on some days.I didn't think it would harm my...

Anorexia [ 3 Answers ]

I like a girl A lot but she thinks she is fat. She doesn't has no fat on her. She has that like tiny bit of what I would call skin around her belt line in stomach. But she does not have a belly. She has already been put in a hospital for not eating. And talks about passing out like its nothing. She...

View more questions Search