Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    real33169 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2006, 09:44 PM
    Abandoned and neglected property
    I'm trying to find out what's going on with an abandoned house in an area I'm looking to buy, I went to a government site and got the tax info its behind, I also have the name of the owner, I don't no if the house is in forecloser or not. But I'm thinking if I can find out what bank holds the mortgage, maybe I could persuade them into sell or transfer the mortgage. What do you think?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2006, 04:18 AM
    You shouldn't need the mtg co info, really. Just contact the owner to let him know you have an interest in buying the property. He may be happy to get it off his back. If he is interested in getting out from under it he'll share whatever details he needs to to get the deal done.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2006, 04:52 AM
    If you can't contact the owner, you can get leinholder info from the County Clerk's office. However, if the property is still listed in the Owner's name its not likely in foreclosure.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2006, 06:16 AM
    HI,
    I am not a lawyer, nor a Professional in this area. But, I do agree with contacting the owner; then go from there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2006, 06:24 AM
    You may as Scott said, merely go to the court house and get the up to date info as to how many liens ( may be first, second, even a third) there may be a mechanics lien from a workman that did work on the house, you never know. Once you see that you will also know how much the original lien of the house was for.

If you went to the mortgage company direct, assuming there is a mortgage, and you bought the mortgage off them, that is all you own, the mortgage.

You can only foreclose or start action if they are behind on payments on the property. If you bought the mortgage, they may be merely making payments to you for the next 15 years at what ever interest was set by the mortgage.
    Often people own homes like this outright, it may have been something they inherited, or some home they moved from and could not sale for the price they wanted. I often buy old houses, there is one in town, that has been sitting for as long as I know, the owner wanted 10 times its value so that is why it has set empty.

It also may be that the "owner" listed is dead and his estate has done nothing with the house because they either can't agree or some legal issue.

Also while at the court house checkingit out, see how many years taxes are due on it, since they will be owed at the time anyone buys the property also.

I would advice going to the court house, getting all the up to date facts and then contacting the owner and see if you can make a deal.
    real33169 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2006, 10:35 PM
    Thanxs a lot guys, I'm going to courthouse on my next day off, and pull the file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to buy abandoned homes [ 12 Answers ]

I know there is a way to buy abandoned homes without negotiating with the owner. As you can imagine, some refrain from sharing their secrets. Anyone have any clues?

Abandoned Homes [ 3 Answers ]

I have been watching a home in Gardena, California. It has been abandoned for about 10 years. I called the tax assessor's office and they gave me the name of the owner. So I have that which is a good start. I called the city of Gardena to see if they owned the property and they said no. They...

Interested in buying abandoned houses. [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in buying abandoned property to fix up, and would like to know if there is any city funding or grants available to help me with these purchases. How do I go about getting information on those?

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

Help! Abandoned Kittens! [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm in need of some deseperate help. I came home from college today to find that two 2 week old kittens had been abandoned in my loft! I need some advice! I have mammalac for them and they will take it froma syringe reluctantly, but I need all the info on little two week old kittens I...

View more questions Search