Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IGotQuestions08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 12:12 PM
    How old do I have to be to move out of my parents house?
    I'd like to know how old I have to be to move out of my parents house, I am only 15, and I think that I could have my life together better if they weren't around all the time, I have thought this through, I can cook and clean, I'm not wanting to right away, not until I get a job and a car and I know I can do it. So I was wondering if I would have to go to court to move out early and such or how this is going to work... thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IGotQuestions08
    I'd like to know how old I have to be to move out of my parents house, I am only 15, and I think that I could have my life together better if they weren't around all the time, I have thought this through, I can cook and clean, I'm not wanting to right away, not until I get a job and a car and I know I can do it. So I was wondering if I would have to go to court to move out early and such or how this is going to work...thank you.

The age depends on the State - it has little do with cooking and cleaning and more to do with whether you can support yourself, which you have to prove to the Court.

So get a job, support yourself, get some apartment leads and then go to Court and file a Petition to be emancipated.

- Or maybe your parents will simply consent and you won't have to go to Court.
    IGotQuestions08 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2008, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    The age depends on the State - it has little do with cooking and cleaning and more to do with whether you can support yourself, which you have to prove to the Court.

So get a job, support yourself, get some apartment leads and then go to Court and file a Petition to be emancipated.

- Or maybe your parents will simply consent and you won't have to go to Court.
    I live in NS, Canada, well see if I can make my own meals and look after my place I would say that has to do with supporting myself... and I am waiting until I get a decent job and an apartment I could rent, now I know for a fact that they wouldn't LET me go. I was thinking all this through about how much money I would have to make in order to live and I know everything I need to know now... so I'm just wondering what the legal age is, and if I should just wait.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2008, 01:24 PM
    Unless there is some seroius reason why you need to be emancipated there is little chance a court will just because you want to.

You can move out at 18
    meganfox123123 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2012, 03:54 AM
    While in my case I'm 15 and I did move out of my parents house with there consent of course my question is if they wanted to get my school involved could they and how old do u have to be to move in with family members
    monkey21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2013, 08:16 PM
    How old do I have to be to move out because I'm going to be 16 but I can't take it with my parents.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2013, 08:24 AM
    Where are you?

In general you need to be self supporting with your own "place" to live.
    QuestionBree99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2013, 12:13 PM
    I'm 15 to and I'm trying to move out without getting the other one getting took away I really need to do something I can't do it anymore I ain't an mother I shouldn't be doing everything I need an life out into the world I know I can do it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal age to move out without parents consent ontario? [ 19 Answers ]

What is Legal age to move out without parents consent ontario?

30 yr old who wants to move out and afraid to tell her parents [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, I am a 30 yr old adult who feels like a child. My parents are European and Catholic and I still live at home. That itself should explain it all. My life has been kind of a roller coaster. I have been engaged twice but couldn't go through with it. I am now the happiest I have ever been with...

I'm 18 and my parents won't let me leave my house [ 9 Answers ]

My parents won't let me leave my house I've been 18 for 2 months and I'm ready to leave. Their being unfair about things. I left last night and they got the school involved in it so I might be kicked out of school tomorrow.

Parents Divorcing, But 17 yr old wanting to move out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I am 17 yrs old and my parents are getting a divorce. They agreed on join custody, but I want to move out of Indiana to Utah to live with family. I'm not sure if I'm old enough to be emanicipated but I want to live with my family in Utah. My father is not giving consent for me to move, but my...

Can I get a loan on my parents house [ 2 Answers ]

Greetings, I am nearing the end of a pretty messy and expensive divorce. I am going to be about £35000 in the hole at the end of it all and do not have many options for paying it back in a hurry. Obviously I would like to be able to have a life and still be able to do things. My parents have...

View more questions Search