Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bradskin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2006, 06:44 PM
    Whirlpool washer agitates but will not spin!
    I have a Whirlpool washing machine
    Model LSR8244EQ1
    Heave Duty Super Capacity Plus
    Imperial 8 cycle / 2 speed

The washer fills and agitates but when it comes time to spin, it does not spin. I checked to make sure no clothes were wrapped around the agitator but the agitator moves freely. I moved the switch up to the rinse mode. The washer once again agitates as it does in rinse mode but when it comes time to spin, it does not spin. :confused:

Please advise ASAP so I can try to fix tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance.
    caimakale Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 10:34 PM
    There is a locking coupler on the Whirlpool washing machines that locks when it kicks into spinning cycle. I am guessing here, but if you try and run it without any clothes in it, it will probably spin. It will be slow starting, but it will probably spin.

The coupler is located down by the motor and is three pieces. They made it out of plastic, and while it typically holds up very well, they do break. I will try to look up the part # you need to fix it. (assuming this is your problem)
    hkamrath Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bradskin
    I have a Whirlpool washing machine
    Model LSR8244EQ1
    Heave Duty Super Capacity Plus
    Imperial 8 cycle / 2 speed

The washer fills and agitates but when it comes time to spin, it does not spin. I checked to make sure no clothes were wrapped around the agitator but the agitator moves freely. I moved the switch up to the rinse mode. The washer once again agitates as it does in rinse mode but when it comes time to spin, it does not spin. :confused:

Please advise ASAP so I can try to fix tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance.
    My washer had the same problem, replaced the coupler and drive clutch and it still does the same thing, it will spin while empty now, but still won't spin with clothes in it. Could be a problem with the transmission, a new one is about 250.00. A clutch about 45.00 and the coupler was around 15.00. Probably not the coupler because it is connected directly to the motor, if the coupler goes bad the motor would not activate the transmission and the washer would not adgitate or spin.
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2006, 03:41 PM
    Check the lid switch for continutity. A bad lid switch will interrup the spin cycle. The switch is OK test for power athe wigwag (spin) solenoid when in spin cycle. Since it aggitates the soleniod itself could be bad.
    John Townsend Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2008, 06:44 AM
    How to I remove the frame?
    Action1060 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 08:55 AM
    I had the same problem and replaced the lid switch and it was fine.
    ijit123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 06:41 AM
    I just adjusted the lid switch so and works fine... yall saved my a lot of time and money.. Thanks, Guys!
    geolt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2010, 03:10 PM
    It was the lid switch. I took it out, reassembled it, and electrical taped around the switch housing assembly several good wraps. Put it back in place, secured the two screws, and vwaala.. Success!!
    papiringo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 02:05 PM
    I have a similar problem, I did replace the clutch and it worked for 2 or 3 loads and now it is not spinning again. Can I solve this installing the heavy duty clutch?
    johnseb Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2011, 10:59 AM
    Lid switch. Most w/d mechanics will do major repairs when unnecessary.
    alphadad2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2011, 07:44 AM

I have the same problem. The washer will only spin intermittently. It does not seem like the switch since the machine still makes the cycling noises, just the spin will not engage. When I empty the washer and shake the tub (presumably to center it), the washer will ultimately start spinning again. To repeat, it makes the same noises whether it spins, so I don't think it is the switch unless the switch actually has something to do with the spin engaging. So---is it the switch, clutch, or transmission? I already replaced the coupler.
    Gryners Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2011, 03:01 PM
    My problem is it will spin for a few loads then stops. I can move the agitator back and forth and then it works. I am confused. Anyone else have a solution?
    EDNAPARHAM Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2011, 11:34 AM
    My washer do not spinned,it washes everything,but will not spinned.I willhave to,tack my thing out,the washer,and ring thim out,to dry.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Washer doesn't spin fast [ 14 Answers ]

Had trouble with spin cycle on Whirlpool Ultimate Care Washing Machine. Lid switch was bad so we replaced it. Worked fine for several weeks. Now, washer will spin slowly during spin cycle and empty most of water in tub. Tub will not spin at fast speed & some water is left in the machine. Can you...

Whirlpool washer won't agitate or spin [ 6 Answers ]

This machine is probably about 10 years old. It is a direct drive. The washer will fill and drain but when it tries to agitate or spin I hear a grinding and clicking sound coming from the bottom of the washer. I cannot turn the agitator by hand. Would this be a problem with the motor, or...

Whirlpool washer will not agitate but will spin and drain [ 3 Answers ]

Model# LA5530XSW2 My washer will fill up but will not agitate, you can hear a humming noise and can smell something. It will drain & spin just not agitate. Please help me how to resolve this problem. Thank you

Whirlpool Washer LA7800XT does not spin or agitate [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a Whirlpool washer (model LA7800XT) that does not agitate or spin but does everything else fine. It is 16 years old but only used once or twice a month and the innard components appear to be in good shape if that's any relevant. I'm trying to diagnose the electrical components...

Whirlpool washer won't spin all the time [ 1 Answers ]

It goes through the wash cycle and won't spin.then at times it goes through the wash cycle and spins just fine.please help

View more questions Search