Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lahoward Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2010, 11:28 AM
    May a full-time employee also work as a temporary employee for the same company?
    We are a small CBRF (community based residential facility) in Wisconsin, with 12 full-time employees. In the past when a full-time employee could not work we either have a temporary/pool employee to work ($12.00 per hour). However, sometimes pool employees are unavailable. In that case we have other staff fill in if they are available (at time and a half for overtime). Some of our full-time staff will make $16-18 dollars an hour when working overtime.

One of our business partners wants to have our full-time employees also work as pool employees. Can we legally do this? I did not believe a full-time employee could also work as a temporary employee for the same company.

Please help,
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Apr 24, 2010, 09:12 AM

The employee can have two jobs with the same company.

An employee covered by the overtime pay provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) must receive overtime pay for hours worked for his employer over 40 in a single workweek. The overtime rate is 1.5 times the employee's regular rate of pay.

When an employee works at more than one job for the same employer and the jobs' pay rates differ, the employee's regular rate of pay must be determined, usually by the "weighted average" method (29 CFR [section] 778.115). The amounts that the employee would earn at the straight-time rates for each job during the particular workweek are added together, that amount is divided by the total number of hours worked, and the result--the employee's weighted average rate of pay for that week--is the basis for determining the employee's overtime pay rate for that week.

Here's an example: An employee is paid $10 per hour for a full-time job of 40 hours per week and $6 per hour for a second job, in which he works 10 additional hours at the end of the workweek. At straight-time rates, he would be paid $400 for the full-time job (40 hours at $10 per hour) and $60 for the second job (10 hours at $6 per hour). The total, $460, is divided by the 50 hours worked, producing the weighted average regular rate of $9.20 per hour and an overtime rate of $13.80 ($9.20 multiplied by 1.5). Therefore, the employee would be paid a total of $506-$368 for the first 40 hours at $9.20 per hour, and $138 for the 10 overtime hours at $13.80 per hour, regardless of which job he worked during the overtime hours. Note that the employee's regular rate and overtime rate could change weekly based on the number of hours worked.

Shirley
    renelmiller0120 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 02:36 PM
    What is the difference between a temp and a pool employee?

Aren't they both from an outside resource? And you pay another agency when they come to work for your company?

If a full time employee works for any reason over 40 hours per week, under federal law they are entitled to time and one half. This was my understanding the whole time I was a human resources and payroll manager.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Oct 30, 2012, 02:40 PM
    This question was in April of 2010.

Yes OT must be paid that is why you use the weighted average as I have described above.

A temp is not your employee the temp is the agencies employee. Generally a pool employee is from your company in a pool department. This pool is for anyone that needs an extra employee usually they are secretarial or call center in nature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 full time employee [ 4 Answers ]

Work for cater as full time employee... work off site events which are paid by employer with a company check. (which is paid by client to employer) not on payrol... no taxes being withheld. 1099 for these events, Employer claims we are independent contractors for these events and therefor...

Does temporary lay off an exempt employee affect their status? [ 2 Answers ]

I work in New Jersey and may be laid off for 1 week per month to cut costs. Will this effect my exempt status?

Working as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time [ 2 Answers ]

Can you work for the same employer at the same time as a w-2 employee and a 1099 employee at the same time. Example selling insurance at an agency getting paid on w-2 for the clerical work and 1099 as for the commission on sales of the insurance from the same desk?

1099 but I'm a full time employee [ 5 Answers ]

I got a 1099 from my employer for working caterings. Some are off site of the restaurant I work in and some are weddings in the restaurant. I am a full time waiter/bartender in the restaurant is it legal for her to 1099 me when I am her employee? Thanks, Mark R

View more questions Search