Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 03:31 AM
    Import .dbx files (Outlook Express) to Windows Mail (Vista)
    Everywhere I look I see the answer is no - I cannot do the above... but there's GOT to be a way... doesn't there? :o

Any suggestions for a workaround to this?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 27, 2007, 09:25 AM
    ... any of you who have gone from XP to Vista... were you able to somehow get your email folders imported into Windows Mail?
    JAF Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 8, 2007, 09:33 PM
    Rick,

I had the same issue. I found the answer and got mine imported. Follow the following steps:

1. Create a directory under the current user's Documents, such as Documents\OEMail. This directory needs to be within the user's space, such as under Documents, in order to prevent possible access permissions problems.
    2. Copy all the dbx files from one Outlook Express Identity into this directory, ensuring that folders.dbx is included.
    3. Go to Edit | Select all in Windows Explorer and select all the dbx files. Then right click on the selection and choose Properties and ensure that the read only attribute of the files is unchecked.
    4. In Windows Mail go to File | Import Messages and choose Outlook Express 6 format and choose to import from a directory.
    5. Then use the Browse button to browse to the directory of dbx files. Make sure that when you set the directory that what is listed in the path is correct (NOTE: Vista can put the wrong path in here sometimes, so instead of c:\mypath it puts c:\mypath\mypath, so check the path to verify that it is correct, and if it is not correct then fix it by clicking the Browse button a second time and then leave the selection blank and clicking Okay.).
    6. Then select the files from which you wish to import messages and click Import.

This procedure worked for me. If you have difficulties, go to backup for clarification. That is where I found this procedure that worked for me.
    vijisalapur Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2007, 08:39 AM
    :) smart answer...
    itruemper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 10:04 AM
    For me, I had to make sure the Read Only box was CHECKED before it would import the messages.

Ingrid
    jan158 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Comment on JAF's post
    I am setting up my new Vista Business computer and could NOT get my Outlook Express imported until I read this answer!! Importing as we speak:)
    okcomputer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF
    Rick,

I had the same issue. I found the answer and got mine imported. Follow the following steps:

1. Create a directory under the current user's Documents, such as Documents\OEMail. This directory needs to be within the user's space, such as under Documents, in order to prevent possible access permissions problems.
    2. Copy all the dbx files from one Outlook Express Identity into this directory, ensuring that folders.dbx is included.
    3. Go to Edit | Select all in Windows Explorer and select all the dbx files. Then right click on the selection and choose Properties and ensure that the read only attribute of the files is unchecked.
    4. In Windows Mail go to File | Import Messages and choose Outlook Express 6 format and choose to import from a directory.
    5. Then use the Browse button to browse to the directory of dbx files. Make sure that when you set the directory that what is listed in the path is correct (NOTE: Vista can put the wrong path in here sometimes, so instead of c:\mypath it puts c:\mypath\mypath, so check the path to verify that it is correct, and if it is not correct then fix it by clicking the Browse button a second time and then leave the selection blank and clicking Okay.).
    6. Then select the files from which you wish to import messages and click Import.

This procedure worked for me. If you have difficulties, go to backup for clarification. That is where I found this procedure that worked for me.
    Thanks, after getting C:\Documents\OEMail\OEMail (why, I ask? ), I had to do as you said and click the browse button a second time to fix the folder address to get C:\Documents\OEMail - I couldn't edit the path in the normal by simply backspacing and retyping. Vista is just plain nuts. Unbelievable. :mad:
    georged22 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2007, 01:54 AM
    Jaf
    Thanks for the info that was great and easy to follow even for a basic user like me !

I had the same prob with vista doubling up the path/path thing but once that sorted as you advised , job done

Many thanks again

George
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2007, 03:27 AM
    If you are doing a vista/office upgrade this procedure should be done automatically, but if I am wrong correct me...
    hasse60 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Rick,
    With your advice everything seemed to work fine - the program counted down the importing of all my emails. But - in Windows Mail now three new catalogs have appeared, all of them empty!
    What did I do wrong?
    pilch73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Don't know of a solution as the above didn't work for me lol

But found a work around program to view dbx files which helped me out

OE Reader download and review - view Outlook Express .dbx files from SnapFiles
    RLPSr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2007, 09:41 AM
    Comment on JAF's post
    It work! JAF is my hero...
    Pippero Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 07:14 AM
    Comment on JAF's post
    Very Helpful, thanks. I did not believe it would have worked for me but actually it did. Thanks!
    driver42 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 06:09 PM
    Hi JAF I followed your directions regarding this matter and it doesn't show any files in the folder I created. So now how do I do it or is there a box that is not checked somewhere.

Regards
    Bruce
    jnjmitch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JAF
    Rick,

My problem is that the folder under Identities where the .dbx files should be is said to be empty. I believe I'm going to the right destination, but there are no files there. Any suggestions?
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 7, 2008, 02:51 PM
    I used Microsoft Outlook to import the Outlook Express email into a PST file. I then imported the PST file into Windows Mail.

At least the Outlook PST files are readable by both programs.
    paulets Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jnjmitch
    My problem is that the folder under Identities where the .dbx files should be is said to be empty. I believe I'm going to the right destination, but there are no files there. Any suggestions?

Hi, I have the same problem... I created the folder under my user and I've copied all dbx files in there. But when I try to import them using windows mail the folder is empty... :( Can someone please help us? Thks
    tsakali Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2008, 11:13 PM
    SOLUTION: for those that cannot see the dbx files in the folder... that's because you are not supposed to select the dbx files themeselves but the folder which contains them

So simply choose to import the folder which includes the dbx files.
    alpurl Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2008, 03:20 PM
    Personally, I created my own folder on a secondary drive for security and performance reasons. I didn't know about all this when I made the move to Vista.

JAF's answer worked perfectly for me.

All I had to do was select the folder where I actually STORED my mail files, and there were no issues.

I knew there HAD to be a way to import from OE to Windows mail.
    Aries94404 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2008, 01:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alpurl
    Personally, I created my own folder on a secondary drive for security and performance reasons. I didn't know about all this when I made the move to Vista.

JAF's answer worked perfectly for me.

All I had to do was select the folder where I actually STORED my mail files, and there were no issues.

I knew there HAD to be a way to import from OE to Windows mail.
    Thanks to JAF and Alpurl for their comments! :)

Ditto - JAF's solution worked for me with one twist: the import wizard kept stalling when it tried to import the "deleted items.dbx" file. I ended up with an empty "Imported Folder" in my new Windows Mail program.

My work around solution: Instead of clicking the "All folders" option in the "Select Folders" prompt, I clicked on the "Selected folders" option, and individually selected all the folders that I wanted to import, making sure that I did NOT select the " option, and individually selected all the folders that I wanted to import, making sure that I did NOT select the ". Worked like a charm.

Note: Everything was imported into a new folder which the wizard named ". Worked like a charm.

Note: Everything was imported into a new folder which the wizard named ". In there, I found all my imported OE messages and OE folders perfectly organized as they were in the OE program on my old computer.

I used a flash drive/memory stick for my OE messages, and did NOT have to move them to my "Documents" folder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Unsend e-mail using Outlook Express [ 3 Answers ]

How do I unsend an e-mail message if it was sent using Outlook Express? Is it possible?

Recalling sent e-mail in Outlook Express [ 1 Answers ]

Cannot figure out how to "RECALL" a send e-mail with Outlook Express. There is not an "Action" dropdown option like I have with regular Outlook. Any help/direction is appreciated.

Help to E mail Retrivel from outlook express [ 5 Answers ]

I was using Outlook Express.My system got crashed and I made the hard disk as a slave to another system and retrived other documents in it. Now I would like to know is it possible to retrive the messages I had in my outlook express.Please help me with it

Outlook Express E-mail [ 4 Answers ]

Sometimes when I try to forward a E-mail it will send anywhere from 25 to plus 75 E-mails none which go through. Will have many calls from people upset with me.Need help Thank you SDB

Opening e.mail attachments using outlook express [ 3 Answers ]

I am running Oulook Express with Home Windows XP I find that I am unable to open some if not all of received message attachments. A warning notice appears to tell me that they may be unsafe. Someone kindly suggested that by selecting FORWARD in the toolbar this problem is overcome. Sadly...

View more questions Search