Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 03:09 PM
    High Blood Pressure
    Does anybody here have heard of any significant decrease in blood pressure with any natural medications or any foods?

I for one have heard that eating raw garlic and celery has properties in it that help decrease blood pressure.

Today and other days that I have checked my blood pressure and it has been ranging from 140/100, 144/108.

I understand there are no quick fixes and that two ways of controlling blood pressure is weight loss and exercise. It is in the family. I would like anybodies input, natural remedies thank you.

Joe
    CatherinenDaniel Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Mar 1, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Hi Joe,

Daniel too has high blood preasure. 180/90 he isn't over weight and exercises everyday.. it is hereditary in his family along with heart disease. There are prescription drugs available, which are very effective and work almost immediately. Yours doesn't seem to be very high though... but if you would like the name of a few, let me know and I'll send you the details.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 03:58 PM
    The doctors say here that if the number is higher on the first number is not to worry about, but when the number gets higher in the bottom part that is when to worry. So according to doctors and pharmacists here my lower number is way higher then high and it is something to worry about.

Blood pressure is in my family. Diet and exercise does not seem to work. Lot of it probably has to do with stress , etc.

Years ago I used to take altace. If you want to send me the information to name a few I would appreciate the help.

Thank you Catherine
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2007, 05:20 PM
    Red Rice Yeast is an alternative to high blood pressure medications. Can be found at a pharmacy or health food store. As with everything, check with your doctor (I know you would anyways).
    jdhhonda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    Does anybody here have heard of any significant decrease in blood pressure with any natural medications or any foods?

I for one have heard that eating raw garlic and celery has properties in it that help decrease blood pressure.

Today and other days that I have checked my blood pressure and it has been ranging from 140/100, 144/108.

I understand there are no quick fixes and that two ways of controlling blood pressure is weight loss and exercise. It is in the family. I would like anybodies input, natural remedies thank you.

Joe
    Joe,
    I recently changed my diet to natural/organic groceries. Additionally I cook most of my own meals, eat our occasionally, never fast food. There is supportive evidence that preservatives and additives in our foods may lead to many health conditions, BP is one of them. I can recommend a book if your interested.
    Good Luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Higher vit C, your garlic, fish oil are all good choices, but it is more important as to what you don't eat.

Salt, no, period no, greasy foods, eat your foods baked, eat more fresh veggies, and when cooking them steam them not boil.

And as noted almost never fast foods, and as many fresh instead of canned foods.

What sodium intake in all forms, things like stews and many can veggies are high and you never know if you don't look

Also there is nothing wrong with going to the doctor and getting on some medication to lower it, while you change your diet and also start more exercise.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 03:58 PM
    Okay, well, so far everyone is doing a pretty good job. I will add Joe that your blood pressure is actually high enough to get on meds. You can try potassium such as orange juice. Potassium tends to help lower blood pressure naturally. However, if it does in fact run in your family you are at risk. So, this is what is considered genetic rather than lifestyle. So, chances are lifestyle change will do little to protect you.

Also, Joe, you need to eat healthy. No more of your diets for a week then back to regular food. Your body does not know what to do when you yo-yo like that. You have to eat healthy consistently. No juice diets for a week then back to normal. You are just borrowing trouble doing that if you have a familial history of HTN.
    HomeopathyResource Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76

Joe
    There is an Ayurvedic herbal product which in my personal and professional experience works every time - quickly, too. It's called Mukta Vati - I don't know if I can name a supplier in case that's advertising, but if you want to know where to order it online, Google it or drop me a private email.

If you have your own BP monitor, you can keep an eye on it and adjust the dose - usually people get down to a satisfactory BP and then figure out a maintenance dose, sometimes they can wean right off.

Plus of course no smoking, minimum salt and daily exercise will do you good, and I recommend daily meditation to help you cope with any stress.

All the best.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Ayurvedic,
    If you want recommend something, while the line is shady sometimes between advertising and recommending, in this case,if you give three or four places to get it from, that way you are not advertising your own site or proudcut

I have heard of this product and a lot of people love it

Mukta Vati - Herbal Dietary Supplement

Divya Mukta Vati (for High Blood Pressure); 40 grams

Natural Herbal Ayurvedic remedy for Hypertension, High Blood pressure and anxiety with no side effects
    feliciamckee Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Mar 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
    There are two types of hypertension... essential and secondary. In most cases (but of course, not all) essential hypertension is due to lifestyle, obesity, excess stress, and nutritional deficiencies. Secondary is caused by kidney disease, medications and drugs, and adrenal disorders. You also have a greater risk if one or both of your parents are hypertensive.
    The number one thing to do is to lose a few lb's. Even as little as 10-20 can help. You may not even be overweight, so this is just a suggestion. I know it worked for my husband and he was not overweight, but the couple of lb's he did lose, still helped him.
    The second thing is to drink plenty of H2O! 8-12 glasses is great. When your blood vessels are hydrated, they are not constricted and your blood flows easier.
    Then of course food choices... the other posts were on point about the diet.
    Moderate physical activity will make your heart stronger so that it can pump more blood with less effort... less force is exerted on the arteries.
    Some suppliments that may help are:
    Vitamin C- high in anti-oxidants and prevents free-radical damage to arteries. Also strenthens and restores elasticity to blood vessels.
    CoEnzyme Q10
    Celery -(4 stalks per day) it has a compound that lowers bp and cholesterol
    Garlic and Onions- both have adenosine which is a muscle relaxant able to decrease bp
    Potassium- helps keep bodies sodium level down. Beans, tomatoes, prunes,avocadoes, bananas, peaches, cantalopes.
    Magnesium- dialates arteries thus decreasing bp.
    I hope it helps.
    cazort Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2011, 02:35 PM
    I'm surprised that no one here has mentioned hibiscus or hibiscus tea. Hibiscus has been extensively studied for the treatment of high blood pressure or hypertension, and has been found in multiple controlled, clinical trials to be effective for lowering blood pressure. It has even been compared to various prescription drugs, and has been found to be as effective as some of them.

If you're skeptical, and want sources backing this up, you can find more explanation and citations to actual studies on the page on hibiscus tea on my tea site.

In the end though? Other people are giving good advice. General diet is probably more important than any specific herb you could take. Also, exercise is very important, both on its own, and because it can help you lose weight which can help lower your blood pressure.

And lastly, think about stress reduction. Stress is a major factor that influences both weight and blood pressure.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High Blood Pressure [ 7 Answers ]

Hello My boyfriend has high blood pressure and is very tired all the time. Is this normal?

High Blood Pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I was told that by drinking a class of red wine helps lower your bloods pressure, is that true, if so, which red wines are the sweetest and taste more like fruit?

High blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

Can the use of testerone and hgh cause high blood pressure?

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search