Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    almostperfectone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Need to give 60 days notice, but rent is increasing in thirty days
    I have rented the condo I am in now for over two years. After the initial lease term of one year, I went on a month-to-month basis. I am required to give 60 days notice prior to vacating the property.

My landlord notified me at the end of this month (february) that the rent would be increasing as of April 1st. By law he only has to give me 30 days notice. Due to this, even if I told him I was leaving as soon as I received the notice, I would still not be able to give a full 60 days without having to pay the new amount of rent, which is tooo high.

I'm going to ask to leave with just 30 days notice due to this, but can he force me to stay another month and pay the added cost?? It doesn't seem fair that I have to give 60 days notice and they only have to give 30 days notice.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Hello almost:

I think you're right. But, I can't promise you anything. The particular notices you point out are business as usual in the landlord/tenant arena.

In my view, month to month means exactly what it says. It doesn't mean every two months. Bimonthly means every two months. Secondarily, it would seem the landlord and the tenant must be on the same page in terms of notice, etc.

Ok, so we agree. What are you going to DO with OUR opinion? Are you willing to sue or be sued for the difference? Because, that's what has to happen before our opinions can be heard. I certainly think a judge would agree with us. But, they might not. The worst you would lose would be a months rent at the higher rate, some minor court costs, and some of your time. If it were me, I'd do it. Of course, it's easy for me to say, isn't it?

Give him your aforementioned proper 30 days written notice. Send it certified, return receipt requested. Tell him how YOU interpret month to month, and tell him if he doesn't agree to sue you. Leave the place nice when you go, and if you don't get your security deposit back in the time allowed, then you sue him.

excon

PS> We've got some very experienced landlords here and maybe some of them have already had this question adjudicated.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 21, 2007, 11:37 AM
    The 60 day notice was probably attached to the one year lease. Are you sure that the month to month specifically lists 60 days? It is normal with a month to month lease for the tenant/landlord to give a 30 day notice, which includes a rental period. I would move forward with giving your 30 day notice as soon as possible. Leave the apartment in the best condition possible. Leave a forwarding address.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Generally, when a lease expires without a new lease being signed, it changes to a month to month basis. However, on the month to month basis, the provisions of the old lease are still in force except for the term. If the written lease specified 60 days notice, then that's what you have to give.

What does the lease say about when rental can be raised? If you have to adhere to the terms so does the landlord.

From a practical standpoint. I doubt if a housing court is going allow the landlord to collect the higher rental if you have given notice. So tell the landlord you can't afford the new rent so you are giving notice and will be out by 5/1. On 4/1 pay the old rent. Let him sue you for the balance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

7 days late, spotting last 2 days [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My period is 7 days late today. The past couple of days I've been having cramps and I'm always sure my period has started but when I go to the bathroom there's nothing in my underware, just some brown smearing when I wipe. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for 2 months... I tested...

Landlord refuse to return Security depost as there was no 30 days notice [ 3 Answers ]

I used to live in Apartment complex for 4 years in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. I have never had any problems till I left the apartment. I agve them the 30 day written notice to the management and cleaned the apartment the best I can. I left on Oct. 31, 2006. I also left my forwarding address with...

60 days? [ 10 Answers ]

I need your opinion on something. I have decided to go 60 days without talking to my ex cold turkey and I have a pad with 60 days checked off on it and at the end of it I wrote, do as you please, meaning if I still felt like contacting the ex, then I could after day 60. I check the days off as I go...

Notice to Increase Rent [ 6 Answers ]

What are the guidelines for raising rent? I can see it is pretty much a 30 day notice, but what percentage are you allowed to increase rent by in general (max amount)? Also, I am drafting a new lease, do I have to include a clause that states I'm allowed to increase the rent in the future, or is...

Does Texas law require 30 or 60 days notice to move out [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter signed a one year lease due to expire on June 10th. She is moving to another state and gave notice on May 9th, which is 30 days. She was told that her contract said 60 days notice is required, so she would need to pay another 2 month's rent (approximately 1200.00). She has fulfilled...

View more questions Search