Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bluechucks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 12:04 PM
    Heat pumps in cold weather and using supplemental heat
    Is it hard on a heat pump to use alternate heat source (kerosine heater,other) causing the heat pump to be off for long periods during the day and than allowing the unit to come on at night?
    Bluechucks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 12:06 PM
    Heat pumps in cold weather and using supplemental heat
    Is OK to use a supplemental heat source with a heat pump; i.e. a kerosine heater?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 12:45 PM
    It is not any harder than if you just turned the unit off. Usually a heat pump has a bit better performance during the day because the outdoor temperature is higher during the day.

Example

If you use your supplemental heat during the day and you turn your heat pump on at night the heat pump might not be able to maintain the temperature in the home so the electric resistance heat might come on to make up the difference costing you additional expense. Now these resistance heaters will come on at night no matter what other source of heat you use during the day but the ideal use of supplemental heat would be to use it at night. Naturally most people do not use a kero heater at night while they sleep due to safety reasons but this was just to give you an idea of how upside down the situation is with heating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 3 Answers ]

I have never had a heat pump before so am not sure what the problem is, first of all it was coated with a white substance for quite awhile. The top of it was free of stuff, fan running etc. The top foot or so on the side woul come off if you scraped it off the bottom white stuff was more like ice....

Turn off heat pumps in cold weather [ 1 Answers ]

Since Heat pumps lose efficiency at lower temperatures, at what outside temp does the cost of running the heat pump (compressor, defrost cycle & ware & tare) exceed the cost of operating on backup heat? I have been told never, 30, 20, 10 deg.

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 6 Answers ]

Do heat pumps have heating elements? My thermastat is set for 68 degrees but when I got up in the middle of the night is was cold to me so I checked the thermastat and even though it was set at 68 before I went to bed the actual only said 57. It is running but not getting up to the temperatur the...

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

Is a heat pump efficient in a climate like N. Minnesota where temps can be below 0 for extended periods? GSJ

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

I just want to know at what level should a rheem heat pump be caple of heating a house down to. It won't get past 30 and I have done countless things to it. Its 3 years old and has never done what I was told it should do. I was told to around 0 and its not even close to that. I put commercial grade...

View more questions Search