Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jack6056 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2016, 11:55 AM
    Money Stolen
    I know most won't believe this, but recently I might have accidentally stolen some money from work. I sort of got caught at the time, but at the same time didn't, nothing has been said, but I'm aware the boss is investigating what happened. I'm not so bothered as I know I'm only guilty of miscounting a handful of coins. However what can the outcomes of this be? Should my boss label me as a thief? I really wish to avoid that as it isn't the case.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2016, 12:15 PM
    "Got caught at the time"? "Accidentally stole some money"?

Please explain how this happened. The Truth. We can't advise you unless we know what actually happened.

Mar 18, 2016, 12:27 PM
    Well I went on a night out and got home about 6am. I went to work at about midday tired to say the least, all my change from the night out was in my pocket so I changed it up in the till at work (everyone does it,never any problems) when the manager served someone he noticed some notes missing, and recounted the till. He asked me to put the notes back in as that's all we had, so I did. Once I put the notes in the till was up £1.50 which confused us both, he since asked me not to come into work, and I know what I've done, I miscounted that's all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2016, 01:49 PM
    How much was represented by the notes you put back?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2016, 01:49 PM
    The till was UP -- meaning "to the good"? Or it was SHORT some money?

If this money exchange is common behavior among employees, why not just "pay back" the till (as you did)? Why is the boss so upset?

Mar 18, 2016, 02:34 PM
    I put back in 10, representing a miscount of 8.50 along the line somewhere? Which means some of my own money is still in the till, yet he suspects me for theft? It's all very confusing and quite stressful, he has explained to me what's happening via a Facebook message and just said he will be in touch. I know if he checks the cameras he will see me putting money in first, then taking money out.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2016, 02:36 PM
    How long have you worked there? Do you have a good reputation?

Mar 18, 2016, 02:47 PM
    Good reputation, and about 18 months. I recently stepped down from a management position as the company isn't a greatly managed one!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 18, 2016, 02:58 PM
    I'm a bit confused. So you put your own money in the till, made change, and then the till was up $1.50? In other words, you gave them an extra $1.50? Is that right?

If this is common practice it must be sanctioned by the boss. Is it? If it is, and it's known to all that it's okay, then I don't see the problem. It's only a problem if it's not sanctioned by the boss.

Also, if it's not a greatly managed company, why did you step down from a management position where you could have made a difference in how it's run?

Mar 18, 2016, 03:03 PM
    It's a large company so a management position there still leaves you a minuscule fish in a vast ocean! I changed up my money, the manager asked where the notes was, I told him I changed my own money, then put the notes I changed up back in the till, and the till was £1.50 up, I'm still confused he hasn't explained very much. But I think the till was 8.50 down in the end. This is all I've been told and haven't been informed about what's happening now, except he is reviewing the cctv
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2016, 03:06 PM
    Does he know you were out all night and very tired that day?

Mar 18, 2016, 03:09 PM
    I haven't had the opportunity to speak to him, I think Facebook messages are inappropriate. And he doesn't answer my calls. I'm embarrassed to go there in case he accuses me of something I am unintentionally guilty for! I feel so bad and confused
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 18, 2016, 03:17 PM
    Maybe going there would show that you care, that this is important. Or just wait for his cctv report. Is he a "good guy"?

Mar 18, 2016, 03:27 PM
    Yea we generally get on, but his hours increased when I removed myself from position, so he has been a bit off recently. I feel it's a lot of drama over something so small

Theft is theft I know, but it was an honest mistake and I'm dead against it. He knows this, we're talking like £3-£10 but we always have variances similar to that
    Pets Expert

Mar 18, 2016, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack6056 View Post
    I haven't had the opportunity to speak to him, I think Facebook messages are inappropriate. And he doesn't answer my calls. I'm embarrassed to go there in case he accuses me of something I am unintentionally guilty for! I feel so bad and confused
    Have you told him what happened? Have you told him what you did?

Mar 18, 2016, 03:33 PM
    I admitted straight after it happened I could well have made a mistake, but I haven't had a sit down chat with him yet to explain my side
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 18, 2016, 03:33 PM
    I don't think you could have been more obscure about the coins you put in and the notes you took out if you planned it for days.
    How much was your count of coins? (You took out 10 pounds in notes. That means you counted 10 pounds in coins? Exactly? Really? Sounds like a lot of coins from one night out.)
    How many notes added up to 10 pounds, that you took out and put back in?

If the till was up 1.50 with your coins and the notes put back in, then that means you took 10 pounds and only put 1.50 in coins in!! Not much of a 'mistake.' You just decided you wanted the extra 8.50 pounds!! That's a lot.
    Pets Expert

Mar 18, 2016, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack6056 View Post
    I admitted straight after it happened I could well have made a mistake, but I haven't had a sit down chat with him yet to explain my side
    Mistakes happen. You said that at first your till was up $1.50, but at the end it as down? How did that happen? Or did I read that wrong?

If it's common practice to change out your till with your own money, then there should be no problem. But, if it's only common practice because the employees have decided it's okay, even though management hasn't condoned it, you could be charged, or at the very least, fired.

So it really all depends on what's allowed, actually allowed, where you work. Not allowed because the employees decided it was okay to do. Do you see what I'm saying?

Bottom line, you took money from the register. Yes, you replaced it with your own money, and you made a mistake. Now you may have to pay for that mistake. It's obvious that this wasn't okay because they're not allowing you back to work, and they're investigating. If it's a common practice to exchange money, take it out of the till and replace it with your own, then this wouldn't be a big deal. Seems like they're making it a big deal.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 18, 2016, 03:48 PM
    PLEASE LOOK at my response above, everybody. HE PUT IN 1.50. HE TOOK OUT 10. THE END. All the rest about the till being up or down and how he put more back in than he owed is smoke and mirrors.
    Pets Expert

Mar 18, 2016, 03:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    PLEASE LOOK at my response above, everybody. HE PUT IN 1.50. HE TOOK OUT 10. THE END. All the rest about the till being up or down and how he put more back in than he owed is smoke and mirrors.
    Good point Joy. I read it as him putting in ten and then somehow miscounting and the till ended up with $1.50 extra. But, at the end of his shift the till was suddenly low.

It seems we're dealing with a lot of smoke and mirrors here.

I, for one, would like a step by step explanation from the poster.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Money stolen [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I am a pub manager, and after doing my books today £260 is missing, can I deduct this from staff wages as someone has obviously stolen it?

Stolen Money [ 1 Answers ]

Hey My ex-boyfriend and I had been together for 8 months. However during that time he hadn't been working much. When food needed to be paid for and fuel, I paid for it. When he moved into his new place, I paid for the bed, sheets etc. Problem is, I'm now in debt of $2000. Money that he owes...

Stolen money and ring [ 1 Answers ]

In rreference to my question about my landlord stealing my money and engagement ring I was advised by a lawyer to send a demand letter to my exlandlord first. Do you think that is a good idea?

Stolen money [ 3 Answers ]

I had a friend who I helped out when he was in jail.I posted bail for him and later on he decided to jump bail and of course my money was lost because he didn't show up for court one day. Before he did all of this I let him barrow a lot of money, I mean a lot of money and he said he was going to...

View more questions Search