Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 04:34 PM
    Refused claim
    We live in Calgary and the home we rent was not flooded. We did lose food from the power being off for 7days and filed a claim. We were refused today and they said it is because they don't cover flood damage and to contact the government for help.
    Is there any sense in appealing? Should we go directly to the Alberta Emergency Management Act?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 21, 2013, 05:15 PM
    I've never had renter's insurance, but no HO policy I ever had covered food lost during a power outage. (I have no knowledge of the Emergency Act.)
    Dogs Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 05:18 PM
    Why would our agent waste our time and the insurance companies telling us to photograph the fridge and two freezers and submit a claim. Wouldn't it have been better to just say no you are not covered?
    Is there any sense in applying to the government agency they told us to or just let it be?
    current pert

Aug 21, 2013, 05:25 PM
    Don't know... maybe the agent thought you were flooded, which would be why they would want pictures, I would guess?
    I don't like insurance companies, period. My experience is that they deny claims and hope people go away. The burden on the policy holder is to read the policy carefully and keep insisting, and if that doesn't work, hire a lawyer to write a 'lawyer letter', a cheap simple letter demanding action.
    Policies these days go on and on about what is not covered. Does yours say?
    Dogs Expert

Aug 21, 2013, 05:27 PM
    Joy it is hard to understand the fine print I can not read... I need new glasses :( I guess I can forward the letter to the government as they say and see what they say.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2013, 05:28 PM
    I have no idea of Canadian insurance coverage. I did find this article
    Alberta flood victims mostly out of luck with insurance - Business - CBC News
    current pert

Aug 21, 2013, 05:35 PM
    It's your agent's job to explain. Ask to be read the place in the policy that disallows this specific claim. Take your policy in to their office.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you claim pre-tax medical when you claim exempt [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am paying about 750.00 per month in medical premiums alone. My employer takes these premiums on a pre-taxed basis - however, I claimed exempt for most of the year so there was no pre-taxed benefit. Can I deduct the premiums on my tax return for the portion I paid while I was exempt?

Can I claim my son I only worked 5 months for last year or does my ex get to claim [ 3 Answers ]

My ex has provided for me and our son all year does he get to claim him and I not get any money??

DUI_ refused breathalyzer [ 4 Answers ]

A friend was arrested for DUI. Refused to take the breathalyzer test, and requested a blood test. The lab tech at the county jail was unable to collect blood after 2 tries, so my friend said, no more. Would that be considered refusing to submit to a test? Does that mean there is no evidence of...

Payment refused [ 3 Answers ]

I recently switched daycare providers because I was becoming unhappy with the situation. Shortly after I started using her, I ran into financial problems and could not pay, but she let me continue to bring my children. Now I have stopped using her which hacked her off! I told her I would pay her...

Help! My daschund refused to shower and refused to be carried. [ 3 Answers ]

Help! Help!I am having 2 major problems with my male long hair red daschund:- 1. He refuses to shower - every time he hears and sees me preparing his shower stuff, he will run and hide. I try coaxing him wz treats but that didn't help. He will growl and snap at whoever goes near him. 2, My...

View more questions Search