Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamjeff Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 02:13 PM
    Washing Machine Box
    Greetings.

My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing machine basin (Supmpump box) from Home Depot and connect it directly to the overhead sewage pipe. What is the best way to connect to the 6" PVC pipe?

Thanks!

Jeff.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 27, 2006, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjeff
    Greetings.

My basement has an overhead Sewer pipe going out to the front. Therefore, if I want a washing machine in the Basement, I have to pump the discharge up and out in some way. Right now, the discharge goes to the sump pump hole and then is pupmed out. I want to install a washing machine basin (Supmpump box) from Home Depot and connect it directly to the overhead sewage pipe. What is the best way to connect to the 6" PVC pipe?

Thanks!

Jeff.
    Hi Jeff.

I'll be glad to advise you just as soon as you give me the specs on the "Sump pump box" that you're planing on installing. Are you sure it's not a 4" PVC main thatyou wish to connect to? Regards, tom

Feb 28, 2006, 06:31 AM
    Hi Speedball.

It's a Flotec model from Home Depot:

* Maximum pumping capacities up to 2880 GPH.
    * Heavy-duty 10 gallons polypropylene drainage tank.
    * Model FP0S1800LTS - 1/4 HP.

I was wrong - it's a 4" PVC Sewage pipe. Do I simply cut a "Y"? Do I need a trap? Are there 4" to 1-1/2" PVC Reducers? Can you direct me to a diagram on how this should look?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff.
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 28, 2006, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjeff
    Hi Speedball.

It's a Flotec model from Home Depot:

* Maximum pumping capacities up to 2880 GPH.
    * Heavy-duty 10 gallons polypropylene drainage tank.
    * Model FP0S1800LTS - 1/4 HP.

I was wrong - it's a 4" PVC Sewage pipe. Do I simply cut a "Y"? Do I need a trap? Are there 4" to 1-1/2" PVC Reducers? Can you direct me to a diagram on how this should look?

Thanks for your help!

Jeff.
    Hi Jeff,
    Just one more question. On your installation sheet does it give you the option of hooking direct to the sewer line or is a trap necessary and does the box have any vent openings on top or does it vent through the inlet? Tom

Feb 28, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Hi Tom.

It has an inlet on the side, the discharge comes out from the top. It has a separate vent stack. Here is a diagram: http://www.flotecpump.com/pdf/PS80-29.pdf

They offer no connectivity suggestions. They stop their cutaway diagram at the height of the utility sink.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 28, 2006, 11:33 AM
    OK Jeff, Got it.
    Since I don't see any pipe sizes listed in the drawing I'm goinig to assume all pipes are 2" untill you tell me differently.
    You will come off the inlet of the box with a 2" "P" trap with a 36" raiser to hook the washer into. For the discharge you will cut in 4X2" wye or a 4X2" combination 1/8th and wye, (which ever works best) into the 4" sewer main and connect to that.
    The vent will tie back to a basement fixture vent. If there is no fixture in the basement that's vented you must run the vent up (1) out the roof, (2) to the attic and revent back to a exsiting roof vent or (3) to over 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixtures vent and tie back to that fixtures vent. More questions? I'm as close as a click. I'm amazed that the installation instructions didn't cover the connections.
    Good luck, Tom
    ajberezo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2006, 07:26 PM
    Sorry to butt in, but is it possible to have the washer discharge directly into the 4" overhead drain pipe? I have the same problem as outlined, but my washer is supposed to drive discharge up to eight feet high. If it is possible to go directly into the overhead drain, how would I plumb for this so that there is no backup into the washer? Thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 19, 2006, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ajberezo
    Sorry to butt in, but is it possible to have the washer discharge directly into the 4" overhead drain pipe? I have the same problem as outlined, but my washer is supposed to drive discharge up to eight feet high. If it is possible to go directly into the overhead drain, how would I
    plumb for this so that there is no backup into the washer? Thanks.
    Nice try , but no cigar! If you connected directly to the sewer line from your washer you would be opening up a direct OPEN CONNECTION from the sewer into your home. Every time you flushed a toilet or drained a bathtub the discharge would find itrs way into your washer. But that's just the begaining.
    When the washer's setting empty there will be a open connection from the house sewer into your washer expelling sewer gas into your house.
    It's possible to do this without a holdng tank and a pump but you would have to have enough room to trap, vent and run a washer stand pipe off the overhead sewer line. Even then you would have to install a check valve on the washers discharge hose to prevent the dirty water from draining back into the washer. Most overhead sewer lines don't have enough room to install a washer stand pipe. Rethink your project and If I can help click on back. Regards, tom
    ajberezo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Tom, thanks for the reply. I can do everything, except the washer stand pipe. Therefore, a "dirty water" sump collection system will be the way to go. In that regard, does such sealed sump system need to be vented directly through the roof, or can it be tied into an existing vent system? I've read both recommendations. Tying into an existing vent system would be quite simple in my basement, but a new vent system would be much more difficult. Thanks.
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 19, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ajberezo
    Tom, thanks for the reply. I can do everything, except the washer stand pipe. Therefore, a "dirty water" sump collection system will be the way to go. In that regard, does such sealed sump system need to be vented directly through the roof, or can it be tied into an existing vent system? I've read both recommendations. Tying into an existing vent system would be quite simple in my basement, but a new vent system would be much more difficult. Thanks.
    There's one more option to consider. You can cut a Wye or combination wye and 1/8th. Bend and install a vent before the trap. You may revent back into a dry vent if you wish. From the trap run a raiser up to within a few inches of the subfllor. Install a 2 X 1/12" compression fitting,(see image) on the raiser and connect the washer hose permanently to the compression fitting. There must also be a check valve installed on the washer hose where it exits the washer. A holding tank and pump are pricey so unless you specifically want one I'll hold off researching the different brands. Best, Tom
    freeadvice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2010, 08:50 PM
    You may not need to do any thing since the washing machines pumps allow you to pump at least 12" above your machine height. Also a sum pump generally has a lot more horse power than the amount of water discharged from washing machine. If you want to use a pump to transfer water from machine discharge, copy the same HP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool washing machine [ 15 Answers ]

Hi. My 20 year old whirlpool fills up, but won't agitate. If I manually move to rinse, it will drain and go through a final rinse. I makes noise like something is loose. There is a slight overheating smell. I bought a motor coupling, but am not sure that is the problem. I also need help...

Washing machine backup [ 10 Answers ]

I purchased a new washing machine recently and have had the problem of it overflowing the drain pipe I have read about new washing machines having stronger pumps which may be my problem .here is what I have though I have a 2" pvc drain line going from my washing machine directly to my main drian...

Washing Machine Won't Spin [ 4 Answers ]

I have a washing machine that won’t spin on its own. I bought a front loader from Sears, says Kenmore but believe it is a Frigidaire, Model #417.41042000. When machine is in the agitate cycle, the motor will not run unless I physically help it. When it starts it only goes for about 8 seconds...

Washing machine line [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We want to run a new washing machine drain line. We're considering running a new line tying into the main. For ease, was going to run in a trench line outside the house and tie in outside, rather than Going through the slab. Is this acceptable? Our old drain line has a hole in it, did...

Portable Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All! I just moved into an apartment in New York that has a laundry room in the basement. As I just had a baby, my wife wanted to have at least a small washing machine in the apartment. As there is no place to connect it and the landlord will not change anything, I was wondering if some kind...

View more questions Search