Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    virginiabelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2006, 01:30 PM
    Tenant Abandoned Home in VA... My Rights?
    Tenant has abandoned my rental home in VA. I have given her notice by mail, posting on home, and registered mail of eviction. She still has all her things in the home and is not staying there at all. Can I move her things to the road? I am the daughter of the owner. Can I move into the home when I move her things out to make sure the home is not damaged if she gets mad over this? I have done everything legally except file a Unlawful Retainer. Do I need to file this legal form with the courts if she has abandoned the property? Help!!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2006, 08:08 PM
    What exactly is an "unlawful retainer?" If an attorney advised you to file this then do it. Generally personal property has to remain unclaimed for 180 days in order to be considered 'abandoned." After that time, you may dispose of it at your discretion. As far as the termination of the tenant's rights to continue to occupy the property, that may take less time, Check with your attorney to be sure.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2006, 03:21 AM
    The key will be what evidence there is that she has "abandoned" the place. And that she is actually living someplace else.

If you have good evidence of this, then move her stuff out and store it for a couple months while continuting to try to reach her to notify her to come pick it up. Keep a good record of all of your contact attempts.

The safest thing to do, though, would be to go through with the eviction.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 9, 2006, 06:28 AM
    Definitely do not put her things on the street. If you think you can prove abandonment, then move the possessions into a storage locker for a few months, then have them sold after the evcition and all other avenues have been exhausted.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 9, 2006, 06:56 AM
    From a VA property manager... if ONLY her belongings are in the house and no utilities are on, no electric meter turning, newspapers piling up at the front door, mail not being picked up AND you posted the property as abandoned - THEN you can change the locks, put utilities in your name, haul her stuff to the dump and start living in the house.

You want to make sure you take pictures of her stuff before you haul it away - a couple of pictures per room should be OK so she can't come back against you for theft.

The term for the eviction process in VA is UNLAWFUL DETAINER which is the common term in most states.

If you think that she has left recently and may come back, then hire an attorney and follow up with the unlawful detainer after serving the required 5-day pay rent in full or quit notice... serve NOTHING by registered or certified mail.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 9, 2006, 07:05 AM
    I agree you need to follow completely through on the eviction process. But I still would NOT take her stuff to the "dump". I would have a 3rd party itemize the list then put it in a storage locker, until your attorney advises you can deal with it as abandonment.
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2006, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cville
    From a VA property manager....if ONLY her belongings are in the house and no utilities are on, no electric meter turning, newspapers piling up at the front door, mail not being picked up AND you posted the property as abandoned - THEN you can change the locks, put utilities in your name, haul her stuff to the dump and start living in the house.
    This is incorrect. Here is the applicable section of Virginia law on dealing with personal belongings left in the apartment:
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...od+55-248.38C1

The keyword to verify IF it should be considered abandoned is "after the rental agreement has terminated and delivery of possession has occurred" Utilities have nothing to do with it.

In your case delivery of possession has NOT occurred.

Don't take a chance: Either store the stuff or go through the eviction process.
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2006, 07:32 AM
    PS - Virginia's Landlord Tenant Laws are laid out nicely and searchable, here - for your future reference

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to buy abandoned homes [ 12 Answers ]

I know there is a way to buy abandoned homes without negotiating with the owner. As you can imagine, some refrain from sharing their secrets. Anyone have any clues?

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Tenant rights under Missouri Law [ 13 Answers ]

I hope someone can answer this question for me. I would appreciate any help. I have a landlord who is very negligent concerning his property. The furnace in my house has developed a gas leak and the gas company shut off the gas. My landlord has known about this for a month and has yet to find...

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Alabama Tenant Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I've been living on some property for the past two years that has a main house set up for two tenants and a detached garage apartment. I live in the garage apartment. Only one of the two rentals in the house is occupied. The landowner and I never signed a lease or contract. The landowner told me...

View more questions Search