Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curiousj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Can A Social Security Check Be Garnished For Collection?
    I have a frined who's father took out a loan for him and now the son is not paying the bill. Can the father's social security check be garnishned?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 10:44 AM
    They are not allowed but they do.
    You need to notify your bank that ssi is your source of income and tell them to check the social security administration laws on that.
    The only way ssi can be garnished is if it is a government loan, student loan, delinquent child support, alimony, federal taxes, or other specific kinds of debt.

Senators Say Banks Illegally Garnishing Funds of Senior Citizens, Veterans

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retirement and social security check taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I did no get an answer to my previous question. Repeat How much federal income tax will someone have to pay on retirement check of $45,000 per year?

Retirement and social security check taxes [ 1 Answers ]

How much taxes will I have to pay on a $45,000 per year retirement check?

Can social security benefit be garnished for alimony [ 1 Answers ]

In palm beach county, Florida can alimony or child support be garnished from Social security retirement income benefits and if so is there a limit to the percentage ?

Collection on my social security income [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in debt to credit card,banks due to loss of my job,poor investment.I do not have any income other than my social security.I have been.There is a collection agency on the record.No judgement yet.What can they do?If there is a judgement,what does that mean?Grateful,for your help.pasargade

Garnished my whole check. [ 2 Answers ]

Was wondering if it is legal for IRS to garnish my whole check? How can I live if all they take ALL of my money... I thought they only took a percentage! I could see them taking half, although that's a lot, but the WHOLE check! I might as well quit my job if that continues to happen! ...

View more questions Search