Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 03:36 AM
    Obama picks Biden
    Joe Biden thinks Obama is a "mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy" .Obama is rewarding this devotion by picking Biden as his VEEP . It's official ;the text message has been received. A stuffed shirt and an empty suit... perfect together!

Biden is 65 . Does that put the age issue to rest ? Assuming Obama expects to serve 2 terms that makes Biden 73 when he makes his next bid. Biden had brain surgery to correct an aneurysm so the health issue is off the table. Biden has a temper as does McCain.

Biden voted for the Iraq war. Can Obama continue to make his so called early opposition to the war a talking point if he picks a running mate who voted for the war ? Biden said before the war on Meet the Press discussing Saddam Hussein: “He's a long term threat and a short term threat to our national security… “We have no choice but to eliminate the threat. This is a guy who is an extreme danger to the world.” About our long term commitment to Iraq Biden said in October of 2002: “We must be clear with the American people that we are committing to Iraq for the long haul; not just the day after, but the decade after.” Obama supporters can no longer make a credible case(not that they ever did anyway) about McCain's 100 year commitment comment.

When questions of experience comes up I fully expect McCain to quote Biden .In the same interview where he made the clean and articulate comments Biden added that he doubts whether American voters are going to elect 'a one-term, a guy who has served for four years in the Senate' .
    He told Huffpo “The more people learn about them (Obama and Hillary) and how they handle the pressure, the more their support will evaporate.”

During the Iowa campaign Biden's campaign manager said “If Iowans believe campaign funds and celebrity will fix the debacle in Iraq, put the economy on track, and provide health care and education for America's children, they should support another candidate,” “But I'm confident that Iowans know what I know: our problems will require experience and leadership from Day One. Empty slogans will be no match for proven action on caucus night.”

And the bumper sticker quote will be the one Biden uaed in the August 2007 debate

"I think he can be ready, but right now I don't believe he is. The presidency is not something that lends itself to on-the-job training." :D
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 04:09 AM
    Obama-Biden: Two guys who plagiarize
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 04:13 AM
    Just words
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Seems like a good choice
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 06:18 AM
    Senator Barack selects Senator Blowhard; what kind of change is that? A very lackluster ticket.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Obama counters one old hot head with another old hot head. This is going to be so much fun, we have a couple of quote machines waiting to be picked apart.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Hello:

I was hoping he'd pick Biden. I like him. He's going to be the attack dog that really nice guy Obama isn't. They're going to kick a$$.

excon
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 06:33 AM
    Bwe he he: John McCain 2008 - John McCain for President
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Michael Moore recently offered six suggestions for Democrats to avoid to help them win the 2008 election. Step 2: “Pick a running mate who is a conservative white guy or a general or a Republican.” Moore continues: “…But when I hear pundits say things like, "He has to pick a Catholic," well, John Kerry was a total Catholic, and the Catholic vote went to Mr. W. I mean, here's one of the largest groups in the country — 66 million Catholics — and they/we have only allowed one Catholic to be president in 219 years. You would think they would have been flocking to Kerry in 2004. THAT IS NOT THE WAY PEOPLE THINK. IT IS THE WAY PUNDITS THINK. Keep listening to them and you can help elect John McCain the next President of the United States.”
    See: MichaelMoore.com : How The Democrats Can Blow It ...In Six Easy Steps
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Says Ron Fournier: "The candidate of change went with the status quo.

"In picking Sen. Joe Biden to be his running mate, Barack Obama sought to shore up his weakness - inexperience in office and on foreign policy - rather than underscore his strength as a new-generation candidate defying political conventions.

"He picked a 35-year veteran of the Senate - the ultimate insider - rather than a candidate from outside Washington...

"The picks say something profound about Obama: For all his self-confidence, the 47-year-old Illinois senator worried that he couldn't beat Republican John McCain without help from a seasoned politician willing to attack. The Biden selection is the next logistical step in an Obama campaign that has become more negative - a strategic decision that may be necessary but threatens to run counter to his image."
    My Way News - Analysis: Biden pick shows lack of confidence
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Aug 23, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Biden was the safest and best choice. He'll provide experience, knowledge, and foreign expertise. I have to give Biden credit. He's not a spring chicken anymore, but understands that America is tiring of the old guard, like "old white haired dude" McCain. Biden sees the need for a fresh attitude and likes the level headed temperament in the younger highly educated Obama. Likewise I give Obama credit for recognizing the advisor role capacity that Biden brings to the ticket. Smart campaign! Really good ticket! :)
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Aug 24, 2008, 01:45 AM
    Biden, hmmm.. Delaware, 2 months ago I was driving from NJ to MD, and in something like 20 miles there are 3 tolls 2 bridges and what seemed like $10 in tolls. What a state? :mad:

"Change?" 36 years in the senate, kind of coincides with the first oil crisis :confused: :o
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 03:32 AM
    Bobby
    Why would the Dems put experience at the bottom of the ticket rather than at the top ? He has made a run for the top since 1988 . He has never garnered any excitement (1% of the vote in the primaries). I don't see how him being on the ticket; even as a balancer ,is a smart move.

He dilutes Obama's signature positions ;that he opposed the Iraq war from the beginning ;and "change". Why would he pick someone who was very public in his support of the war until things started looking bad ? Not only that ; Biden is the author of the single worst idea of the Iraq campaign... a Lawrence of Arabia-like partitioning the country into ethnic enclaves.

But I will concede excon's point about him being a pit-bull. He precided over the Bork and Thomas inquisitions and has turned confirmation hearings into a nasty blood sport.
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    ... He precided over the Bork and Thomas inquisitions and has turned confirmation hearings into a nasty blood sport.
    Very well, it's good he is getting his day in the sun.

Aug 24, 2008, 03:26 PM
    Tom,

I never had a question about Obama's experience. That would be Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, and other Rush Limbaugh hopefuls, with you hanging on their every word. I'm saying that by adding Biden this provides more experience to the ticket. Your logic has shot yourself in the foot. Cheney should had been the top of the two-term Republican ticket, but it didn't never bother you to vote for Dubya twice. Biden is a pit-bull. Considering the Clinton hurdle, the Dems and Obama are actually running a fairly calculated smart campaign thus far. At least the Dem convention shouldn't put anybody to sleep. The Pubs should provide pillows at their convention... with exception of Giuliani and Jindal, it will be a snore fest.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 02:22 AM
    Yeah what about that Cheney model ?I thought the Dems despised the idea of a VEEP working under the radar being the 'defacto President'. Does this mean that we need to examine Biden's policies as a template on how an Obama Presidency will conduct itself ?(ps I only voted for President Bush in 2004)
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:27 PM
    Har har: "Barack Obama is finally ready for the dreaded 3 a.m. telephone call. Now he can answer it and hand the phone to Joe Biden.

"By the time Joe hands it back - after spinning a tale to Vladimir Putin or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad about who said what to whom, the crisis will be over. (One way or the other.) Joe starts talking and figures he'll eventually think of something to say. Sometimes he does, and often wishes he hadn't." Washington Times - PRUDEN: A revival meeting, not a hanging

Aug 25, 2008, 07:47 PM
    Well Tom, you're not but half bad then. However it would had been more forgiving being duped the first time in 2000, instead of the '04 election. :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 03:02 AM
    I cast a protest vote in 2000 because I know my vote doesn't really change anything in NY . The Republicans don't even try in the state. Sadly Republicans win every time they run a viable candidate ;but their organization is so screwed up here that too often they find sacrificial lambs as candidates.
    So in 2000 my vote went to Nader. Had I been living in Fla. Bush would've gotten my vote.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend criticizes, analyzes, nit picks so much! [ 11 Answers ]

Hi OK, I have a huge similar situation! My boyfriend nit picks really bad! He gets bugged out if I put the sponge on the sink after I wash dishes instead of in the sink. He got upset because I put the toilet paper downside to grab instead of upside. He'll start cleaning and then gets mad because I...

Is Obama The One? [ 27 Answers ]

Check this, if you dare: He ventured forth to bring light to the world | Gerard Baker - Times Online

WHY does Obama say uh so much [ 42 Answers ]

Obama Says "Uhh" 144 Times in Eleven Minutes during Press Conference - Video Link 6/16/08 His past uh, uh, um, uh's were nothing compared to lately. ... and to think how Bush was criticized for not being a good speaker! Anyway I was listening to the radio today and they said he said uh...

So what has Obama done ? [ 49 Answers ]

A new bill that is co-sponsored by Barak Obama and Democrat Senators Maria Cantwell, Dianne Feinstein, Richard Lugar, Richard Durbin, Chuck Hagel and Robert Menendez will increase foreign aid by the United States to a level that the UN dictates . Sugar coating it with a name no one could object to...

My GSD won't eat, picks out meat [ 13 Answers ]

Hey I had just adpopted a dog yesterday she is a Yr old White German Shepherd named Blanca . When I brought her home she was kind of scared but she quickly got use to the family. She took a nap, explored the house and just got use to the house pretty quikly. But when I Tried to feed her...

View more questions Search