Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrego Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 08:52 PM
    My goldfish
    I have a new tank with 4 goldfish I want to know if I can put the cycle nutrafin in the water while the fish are in the tank and can someone please tell me if goldfish need oxygen meaning if the do what can I buy to help them get it I have a filter but what else do I need ?
    budgiebreeder Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2007, 03:22 PM
    I don't think you need to do anything goldfish are hardy fish and they will cycle the tank by themselves.. but you will need to get a filter to keep there tank clean and an air pump to provide oxygen if your filter doesn't give it.. gould love enjoy your fish :D
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Yes you can add the Nutrafin cycle to the water when the fish are in it - it's really the only way the product will work.
    4 goldfish in a new tank will increase toxins to dangerous levels that could cause stress and disease before the tank has a chance to cycle, so the sooner you add the product the better.

There is a big misconception that goldfish fish do not need oxygen.
    They most certainly do.
    What you will need is an air pump and a diffuser.
    If you have a hang on back type filter, you can lower the water 2 inches.
    The water going back into the tank will produce bubbles in the water which will provide oxygen to the water.
    I hope this makes sense...
    I'll go into more detail if you need.
    PenguinIncognito Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Aug 7, 2007, 09:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrego
    I have a new tank with 4 goldfish I want to know if I can put the cycle nutrafin in the water while the fish are in the tank and can someone please tell me if goldfish need oxygen meaning if the do what can i buy to help them get it I have a filter but what else do i need ?
    Okay, I have worked at a pet store in the fish department for 5 years. Let me first tell you that gold fish are 3 times as dirty as other fish. The general rule for goldfish is 1 full grown fish per 10 gallons of water. Gold fish are supposed to live 25 or more years, so if they're dying in 1 or 2 you're not keeping them in proper conditions. They do need oxygen. Personally, for goldfish I prefer an undergravel filtration system hooked up to a powerhead as well as a high quality top filter that is made for a tank 10 gallons larger than the one you have. Airstones are also helpful in producing extra oxygen. Oh, and yes you can add the nutrafin to the water while the fish are in. Make sure to read the instructions carefully because most bacteria starters will require to repeat the dosage every week for 2 weeks, then on a monthly basis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

Lately my goldfish have been swimming around the top a lot. :confused: They will go a little above the water and come back down.:confused: They will go near the bubbles and come back down. Sometimes they will go all the way down. But most of the time they are swimming around the top. Why are they...

Goldfish Help [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a goldfish for 6 years and she has survived a lot of sickness! I live in a small apartment and am currently having some remodeling work done. Since the work has begun, my goldfish tank has become very cloudy and I believe it is from the incredible dust being caused by the construction....

Goldfish [ 1 Answers ]

I have a goldfish in my water garden and it's forever upside down. It swims for a little while the correct way then it's either facing down with it's tail up or upside down. Should I be worried about this.

Goldfish with funny eyes... [ 3 Answers ]

? Recently I've noticed that my Red-Capped Oranda goldfish, Bacardi, has been growing what looks like thick blisters over his eyes. They don't seem to be bothering him, and he has no trouble navigating the fishtank or finding food at dinner time- but I'm not sure how well he can see. None of my...

View more questions Search