Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mimmlybimmly Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 03:00 AM
    My brother's credit debt harming my credit score!
    Just some background information- my brother has many, many debts. (he is a lawyer that just never succeeded and has no real work ethic)
    So he uses my father's credit cards, pays the minimum amount every month, and he basically lives off my father's credit cards for all of his expenses. My brother does not have enough credit to get anything, so he uses my father's credit. Well I just found out that my name/social security number is on 2 of the credit cards that my brother has enormous outstanding balances with.
    When I was younger, my father put every member of my immediate family's social security numbers on these cards, which now are in bad condition. I was put on these cards when I was a minor and I have never charged anything to these accounts. I didn't even know about these accounts until yesterday.
    Is there a way that I can remove myself from these cards? I REALLY don't want to be penalized for this. And since there is about $50,000 in debt and growing, I don't see this ending anytime soon. Do I have a way out from something that happened when I was a minor and completely unaware? My father is choosing to help my brother; I just got stuck in the middle and now I'm suffering the consequences. Can someone help me and tell me what to do? I'll do anything to get out of this situation; even if it means legal proceedings.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 03:50 AM
    The only way your name can come off your dad's credit cards (as a secondary user) is for your dad to remove your name. The credit card companies can legally come after you for the debt because you are listed that way. I got my son one of my credit cards when he was going to school and he paid back what he used, I then cancelled his card when he got a job so that he could never be held responsible should something happen to my credit.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2007, 05:04 AM
    You dad must demand he not use the cards, if your name or any family members name were added to the card without your permission, you file fraud charges againt them, and notify the credit card company at once.

Your DAD has to stop him from using these cards and if he does without your dads permission, then charge him with theft.

Your brother is only part of the issue, your dad allowing this is the actual problem. Talk to your dad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit score [ 3 Answers ]

Are there any legitimate ways to improve credit scores .And what can I do besides being responsible .

Credit score [ 1 Answers ]

How badly does a voluntary repo affect your credit?

Credit score [ 3 Answers ]

My buddy told me that there is a form or something that you can fill out regarding the credit card companys that states you donot what any credit card offers for a period of one year.Then once this paper work is filed with the credit report agencies a persons creit score will raise 25 points .So my...

Credit score [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently paid off three IRS liens on our house which were also showing up on our credit reports. Instead of our scores going up, they dropped slightly. Can anyone tell me what happened or how to question this to the appropriate people? Thanks. Kat

Credit Score... [ 4 Answers ]

Someone might have asked this question, but there are so many posts that I couldn't go through them all. My question is: How many points does one's credit score go down, after, let's say a bank or a car dealer check the credit to see if you qualify? :confused: Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search