Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poobita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Strange Whale-Like noise coming from Toilet
    For the past couple weeks when I flush the toilet it makes this weird moaning, whale-mating call type noise for up to 30 seconds after I flush. Seems to get longer every time. I have taken the top off the toilet and it looks like the part of the toilet in the back left (I am not familiar with terminology) is making the noise. Any ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
    If you don't know the terminology you are going to think I made this up. That thing is your ballcock and its valve washer is loose and vibrates. You can buy a new ballcock (yes it is) for about $7 at most hardware and box stores. If you need help installing come back to us when you have your parts. It is not a difficult job and most home owners can do this.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 24, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Before you go through the hassle of changing out the ballcock try this. Shut the water off to the tank at the stop located directly under the tank. Remove the three screws holding the top of the stem, washer and float ball assenbly. Now remove the washer and turn it over. Press it in place firmly and reassemble. Did the whale swim away when you flushed? Let me hear from you. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strange pipe noise. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I'm living in a 2 story house with 1 bathroom on the 2nd floor and one in the basement. We keep getting these increasingly loud pulsating sound throughout the main water pipes. It lasts about 10-15 seconds and happens inconsistantly about every 20 minutes. One of the effects that it has...

Strange toilet noise [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My toilet is scaring people away. Every time after I flush, it makes the strangest, loud noise. I think it might have something to do with the water pressure... because it only happens when I flush and it stops once the toilet stops filling. The noise was bareable before but now its...

Dryer Making Strange Noise [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My GE Electric Dryer is making a strang "ching-ching" noise with each rotation. But there is nothing in the clothes that would explain this noise. (It is doing this with every load). It is drying the clothes fine, but the noise is very loud and annoying. What is wrong?

Strange noise [ 3 Answers ]

there is a strange noise that randomly occurs in the morning in my house. It sounds like a jack hammer. It is most prominent in my master bedroom bathroom, where there is a vent on the low part of the wall, but I can't figure out where it's coming from. My furnace and ac are not on and haven't been...

View more questions Search