Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdlejeune Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 08:33 AM
    Toilet leaks
    Hello. My tenant just phoned to say that the handle of the flush leaks when it is flushed. She also is noticing water around the base of the toilet. Just checking in to see what I should look for when I go over and what some possible solutions might be?

Many thanks,
    JD
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 19, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlejeune
    Hello. My tenant just phoned to say that the handle of the flush leaks when it is flushed. She also is noticing water around the base of the toilet. Just checking in to see what I should look for when I go over and what some possible solutions might be?

Many thanks,
    JD
    Hi JD,

It may sound like you have two separate leaks but I don't think so.
    Take the lid off the tank and flush the commode. Is water spraying out of the top? Is the 1/8th inch tube connected to the ballcock and the white overflow tube. Now run your hand down the backside if the tank. Feel any moisture? If so the water is hitting the lid and running down the outside of the tank and bowl. If everything's connected then snug up the three top screws. If it still leaks the ballcock's faulty and must be replaced. Good luck, Tom

Sep 19, 2006, 01:21 PM
    I just checked and the hose is secure. No spraying is occurring. It looks as though the water is coming out of the hole the valve/handle is in and then it's collecting around the base of the toilet.

Maybe it's the water level? Not sure...
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 19, 2006, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdlejeune
    I just checked and the hose is secure. No spraying is occuring. It looks as though the water is coming out of the hole the valve/handle is in and then it's collecting around the base of the toilet.

Maybe it's the water level? Not sure...
    Check the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the white over flow tube after the tank's filledRegars, Tom

Sep 21, 2006, 05:22 AM
    Hi Tom. I'm going into the apartment tonight to check again. If the water level is too high how can I bring it down? Adjust the buoy thing somehow?
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2006, 06:56 AM
    "If the water level is too high how can I bring it down? Adjust the buoy thing somehow?"

Look at the image I've put up. There's a clip on the can/float. Squeeze the clip to release the float and move the float down to lower the water level and up to raise it. Do this by trial and error to get the desired level.
    Good luck and let me know how you make out. Tom

Sep 22, 2006, 08:01 AM
    That worked perfectly Tom! The water level was simply too high and was leaking out of the handle area and collection around the base of the toilet. Many thanks!
    scri8e Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Nov 8, 2006, 12:50 AM
    Great guidance Tom! Diagrams are always a good teaching/learning tool. Additionally I would ask the tenant how long they have noticed that going on. If you have easy access to under that bathroom like a basement or a crawl space I would take a look see. If it is soaked you are bound to have dry rot later on. Depending on the condition you may choose to repair/cut out and replace that section of flooring. Or maybe a fan is all you need? Don't know until you run a eyeball around it to make that judgement call. It also depends if you are planning to keep the property for a long time or if you are planning to keep it a couple of years and flip it. Some preventive repairs could make the difference between a couple of George Wa$hington'$ or a BUNCH of Jack$on'$ out of your wallet. If you are in for the long haul.
    If it was me with one of my apartment buildings I would want to take a look see and repair now instead of being in a sitch where it HAD to be done NOW. The toilet is breaking through the sub-floor. I'm in for the long haul though so I think that way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub leaks [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 2d floor bathtub with a shower. Whenever someone takes a bath, water leaks down to the 1st floor bathroom. It was so bad I had to have the ceiling in the downstairs bathroom replaced. This only happens when someone takes a bath, not when someone uses the shower. I recently had a plumber...

Outside faucet leaks [ 1 Answers ]

My outside faucets have a plastic cap between the house and on/off handle that says anti-siphon, which are now gushing water when I turn on the faucet. When I turn this cap it spins in either direction and doesn't seem to do anything. 2 out of 3 faucets are doing this, one seems to be fine. How...

Toilet leaks at handle [ 9 Answers ]

Help, the tank fills up too much, all the way to the handle! And then starts drip drip dripping outside the handle connection into a bucket! But I notice that when the toilet is used a lot (flushed) it does not doing it as often, I guess because it takes a while for the tank to fill up to the top...

Changed the Flip, but toilet still leaks [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced the flaps in my toilet 3 times and the toilet still leaks, giving me the phantom-flush. What am I missing? :confused:

New sprayer leaks [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, my husband just installed a new price fister faucet and sprayer. When the water is running from the faucet the sprayer leaks. Pressure seems fine in faucet and sprayer sprays fine but won't stop leaking unless you just let it hang in the sink then it stops... What should we look for? Thanks...

View more questions Search