Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwayne squance Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2008, 10:49 AM
    How to remove a sterring wheel from a chevy full size van
    I have a 1997 chevy 3500 van and I needed new tumblers and the ignition module so I need to know how to get the sterring wheel off to change the module then I can put it back on again
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Oct 8, 2008, 01:19 PM

If it has an airbag.. I would let a dealership do it. Its not fun to have one of those go off in your face (or even near it)

If no airbag, look on the backside of the steering wheel for bolts.. that should remove the cover, then there are bolts in there.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 8, 2008, 02:46 PM

The Supplemental Inflatable Restraint system can be disabled at the bottom of the steering column by unplugging the yellow connector.
    Then the airbag can be removed without fear of deployment.
    Once the air bag is removed, you'll need some special tools: one to remove the steering wheel and another to remove the lock plate. If you're still interested, let me know and I'll go into the steps, but only if you're really certain you can complete the job.
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Oct 9, 2008, 07:22 AM

I know its been a while.. but don't you need to disconnect the battery if you are going to remove it??

Wait.. sorry. My mistake. It's the airbag MODULE that can cause the problem. If you plug that in while the battery is connected then it can deploy the air bags. CaptainRich is correct :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to know how to remove the steering wheel of chevy blazer [ 1 Answers ]

I'm replacing the beam switch on the steering wheel ,the steering needs to be removed in order to do that, please tell me how can I remove it? Thank you

Did Chevy make a C10 that is 4 wheel drive? [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a 1978 Chevy C10 that is 4 wheel drive. I was told it was completely stock. I have since read that the C10's were all 2 wheel drive and the K10's were 4 wheel drive. What's the deal? Thanks!

Queen size frame-full size mattress [ 2 Answers ]

I have a full size mattress set and want to know if it can be used with a queen size bed frame? I heard there was a kit that can be used to make it fit.

Full size headboard, Queen size bed Frame [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy attachments that will allow me to fasten my full size headboard to my queen size bedframe? I am having a bit of trouble finding one.

'97 chevy wheel hubs [ 2 Answers ]

'97 chevy cavalier. Getting a hum from the front end, and a growl when I turn. Anyone ever change the wheel bearings, are they one piece? Just curious as to what the job entails.

View more questions Search