Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dreamer1250 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2014, 08:05 AM
    Hipaa violation by pharmacy
    I recently picked up my father's prescription at the pharmacy, and folded in with his paperwork was the paperwork for some other patient showing name, address, phone number, date of birth, doctor's name, and prescription information. How should I handle this? I called the pharmacy and they asked me to bring that person's paperwork back, but what if it had been MY information given to someone who decided to use it? I'm very concerned about this. Any advice you can suggest?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 1, 2014, 08:33 AM
    Use it how, they can call you on the phone? The information does not contrain anything except the drug information, that is not public info.

Is it a violation, yes,
    Is it minor and just an accident. Yes.

Next, OK, so what do you want done. You report it, and the person who made the error will be either warned or fired.

Most likely they will issue a memo to warn everyone, and perhaps have a required training course on procedure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA Violation at Pharmacy? [ 10 Answers ]

I've gone to the same pharmacy for a few years, now. It's a chain of grocery stores local to my area. I have had numerous occasions when they have given me medicine names before verifying my identity. Example: Hi, I'm Mike Smith and I have some prescriptions ready. Response: Yes, sir. I see we have...

Pharmacy violation hipaa [ 5 Answers ]

So I picked up my sons prescription from my local pharmacy, and they relabeled the pt information very sloppy where I could see some information.The previous patient address and phone number were on the label and I informed the pharmacy because I thought I don't want a stranger having my...

HIPAA Violation in Pharmacy [ 5 Answers ]

I was at Target yesterday and inquired why one of my prescriptions was not filled. The technician said one second and went to talk to the pharmacist. She was speaking from the back of the pharmacy and said Mr. Bowman I see where this presription (the actual name) and this prescription (actual...

Hipaa violation in pharmacy [ 2 Answers ]

I work as a technician in a pharmacy, and made a counting error. While I was on break, my manager printed out the flow of who typed it followed by their name, who filled it, I was going to resign. I packed up everything in my cubby along with that paper he printed out and hung up. I have since...

Can I ask for damages for a pharmacy hipaa violation [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know if I can sue or ask for damages from a pharmacy that violated hipaa law

View more questions Search