Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maniac0683 Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 07:56 AM
    University of Phoenix
    I've been seeing advertisements all over for University of Phoenix. I've talked to them a few times about taking some online courses, and so far it sounds like it would be perfect for me.

I was talking to a few people that I work with though, and they have been telling me how that school is not credible at all, and they will pretty much pass anyone just to get that graduation rate higher.

Has anyone taken classes there, or know someone who has? I'd like to find out as much as I can to make sure I won't be wasting my money.

Thanks in advance!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 17, 2007, 07:58 AM
    Please refer to THIS STICKY
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 23, 2007, 08:48 PM
    One of my instructors, (at a brick and morter college) got his MBA there and said it was not easy. But anyway his credentials are good enough for the college to allow him to teach.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 09:27 PM
    They are most likely the very best online college that I know of. I may not know all of them before you get mad at me. The offer not only online but also have buidlings in most major cities, ( we have one in Nashville)

They are very well respected and most of their degrees are acredited, but always confirm that the program you are going into is.
    trufare Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maniac0683
    I've been seeing advertisements all over for University of Phoenix. I've talked to them a few times about taking some online courses, and so far it sounds like it would be perfect for me.

I was talking to a few people that I work with though, and they have been telling me how that school is not credible at all, and they will pretty much pass anyone just to get that graduation rate higher.

Has anyone taken classes there, or know someone who has? I'd like to find out as much as I can to make sure I won't be wasting my money.

Thanks in advance!
    I am attending UOP now and yes they are accredited by the Higher learning Commission and is a member of The North Central association.. They also have ground colleges to go to if you can't go to school online
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Also check out St. Leo University. I got my Business Admin degree with them (via online classes) and my husband his MBA. They are fully accredited and have brick and mortar classes in cities all over the country, if you prefer. I think their costs are lower than UofP and if you have a military connection (spouse or dependent of active duty) you get a substantial discount.

Saint Leo University - You'll Love The Person You Become Here online degree, mba, online mba, distance learning mba, online mba programs, online mba degrees, mba degree online, mba online
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 05:54 PM
    You need to check your respective state and find out if your state acknowledges a degree from University of Phoenix. Some states just take the attitude that all online degrees that are not initiated in their respective state are degree mills and therefore, not honored. Also check your workplace. Does your job recognize a degree from University of Phoenix? While some do, some will not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 08:38 PM
    First for those that are not familiar with the Univ of Phoenix, it is not just a online school, they have physical buidlings all around the US and in in Canada, they have over 72 physcial campus all around the US, they are a physcial real brick and mortal school. They also offer most of these classes online, they do not sell any degrees and your study with them will be as hard as with any college anywhere.

They are reconised by the US military and they have special programs for those in the military, There programs are actually highly sought after in the law enforcement field and very well respected at the Federal Level.

How is the University of Phoenix accredited?
    The University of Phoenix is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and is a member of the North Central Association. University of Phoenix was granted initial accreditation in 1978 and the accreditation was reaffirmed in 1982, 1987, 1992, 1997, and 2002. The next comprehensive evaluation visit by The Higher Learning Commission will be conducted in 2012.

Accreditation Statements
    University of Phoenix is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.

30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400
    Chicago, IL 60602
    (312) 263-0456
    Higher Learning Commission - HLC Home

The Bachelor of Science in Nursing and the Master of Science in Nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).

CCNE
    One Dupont Circle NW, Suite 530
    Washington, DC 20036-1120
    (202) 887-6791
    Welcome to AACN

The Master of Counseling program in Community Counseling (in Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona) and the Master of Counseling program in Mental Health Counseling (in Utah) are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs.

CACREP
    5999 Stevenson Avenue
    Alexandria, VA 22304
    (703) 823-9800
    Welcome to the American Counseling Association

In British Columbia, the University of Phoenix was accredited by the Private Post-Secondary Education Commission (PPSEC) in 2002. That agency is now called the Private Career Training Institutions Agency (PCTIA).

They even can accept federal fincial aid
    Federal Financial Aid

The University of Phoenix participates in Title IV Student Financial Aid Programs offering the Federal Stafford Student Loans, Federal PLUS Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Pell and Federal SEOG Grants.

And as noted our US military have them approved for their TA payment program
    Military Plan

Uniform tuition assistance (TA) policy for all eligible service members went into effect October 1, 2002. For each course that carries post-secondary academic credit from an accredited college or university, the responsible Service shall pay 100% of the cost of tuition up to a maximum of $250 per semester hour credit; the aggregate amount of TA payable in support of any one service member participating in off-duty, voluntary education during one fiscal year shall be $4,500.

Just because a degree can be gotten online does not make it fake, this degree has more value than many of the 1000 small colleges around the US.
    jespinoza1 Posts: 11, Reputation: 4

Feb 25, 2008, 10:48 PM
    I know that you posted this question in 2007, but I feel that as a University of phoenix student for the past three years. I am obliged to answer this question. Like I said I have been a student for the past three years and believe me this is not an easy, just let me pay and give me my degree school. It is very hard and the work is very fast paced. This school actually puts you in a work force environment and you have a full hands on learning experience. Because the classes are fast paced it is more stressful and you are forced to learn as quickly as you possibly can. I have enjoyed going to UOP and I would definitely recommend this school to anyone interested. I have nothing negative to say about UOP. If you have any more question, please feel free to ask me. I would love to answer any of them.
    Travel18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 08:38 PM
    I hold an MBA for UOP, I advanced my position to GM in a reputable company from the majoy banks. The transition was great with increase of salary, launching a good position is all about your attitude and how you handle your interview. If you have a positive attitude with vision, it really doesn't matter if you get a degree from Harvard or UOP. I have friends from Harvard too, some can't escape layoff during economy downturn in US, if you have UOP degree and still holding the job, you are still in better position then those who are currently jobless and graduated from Elite school. The thought is on you! Do you believe in yourself, or you will let someone tell you what is good for you. If you plan to attend higher education, you are making the right choice. UOP or Harvard.. is a matter of overcoming your own expectation and exercising your negotiation skill to launch a good job. Just think, for those who did not offer you the job, it is their lost not you. After all, destiny is still in our hands to move forward and not backward. If you can make one good change for yourself today, even a small one, you already make your life better then before. All the best to you all. UOP MBA Grad 2007.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kennedy-Western University NOW Warren National University [ 54 Answers ]

Forgive me if this question has already been asked and talked about. I am enrolled with Kennedy-Western, and now have a bad feeling about them. I cannot find where they are an "Accredited" postsecondary school, only licensed in the state of Wyoming. Does anyone know and can prove to me that they...

Glendale university [ 4 Answers ]

I have a MA in counseling Psych and am interested in info on Glendale University--I could get the PHD in counseling Psych which I know is really just for an ego thing-- is this a scam? Would I be embarrassed to have to explain this? Is this for real? It would do nothing to further my career, it...

University [ 1 Answers ]

How many University are there in Italy?:confused:

View more questions Search