Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adidas0021 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 09:57 PM
    I want to file suit against nightclub!
    I've been going to this night club for 4 years now and never had a problem till now, they have a new security person who seems to have something against me,every time I go he has something to say to me ONLY me! And this past weekend me and 4 friends were on top of chairs watching the live show at the club when he pulled me (again only me) by the arm and I fell and got hurt then he kicked me out the club. After he kicked me out, me and my friends asked why?? And they just kept telling us to leave ! (for no reason and I have many witnesses) also they wanted to pepper spray us. Like I said this wasn't the first time, but it had the worst. I also want to know if I can do something against the club. They let under age people get in, their employees are illegal serving alcohol with no TAM cards or Scherrif's cards, at leats 2 of their go go dancers are under age, and I can prove it. Please let me know if this is worth filing, thank you.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 10:44 PM
    Clubs are privately owned and they can say who they want there and who they don't.
    You can't really win anything if you sue since you had no damages.
    You can turn them into whoever for whatever and possibly get them fined or even closed down.
    The only real thing you can do is quit going there and get your friends to quit too. '

My old boyfriend used to get banned for stupid reasons at bars. They would tell him OUT and then be shocked when half the bar followed right out the door right behind him.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 29, 2008, 10:46 PM
    Forst thing to do is write to the management and explain your complaint (leave out all the illegal activities that weren't directed at you). If you get no response or an unsatisfactory one, don't tie up the courts, get revenge by reporting all the illegal stuff to authorities.

Just my opinion...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adidas0021
    I've been going to this night club for 4 years now and never had a problem till now, they have a new security person who seems to have something against me,everytime i go he has something to say to me ONLY me! and this past weekend me and 4 friends were on top of chairs watching the live show at the club when he pulled me (again only me) by the arm and i fell and got hurt then he kicked me out the club. After he kicked me out, me and my friends asked why??? and they just kept telling us to leave ! (for no reason and i have many witnesses) also they wanted to pepper spray us. Like i said this wasnt the first time, but it had the worst. I also want to know if i can do something against the club. They let under age people get in, their employees are illegal serving alcohol with no TAM cards or Scherrif's cards, at leats 2 of their go go dancers are under age, and i can prove it. Please let me know if this is worth filing, thank you.

After you're kicked out once and labeled a troublemaker you have a really good chance of being kicked out again.

If you were injured contact an Attorney who handles personal injury and specifically bar injuries.

Or report them to the authorities -

Did your friends leave with you?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2008, 06:15 AM
    You can file an assault suit againt the bouncer and the club. Whether you can win or not depends on their side of the story and what proof you have to back your story.

As for the illegal activities, I would consult an attorney as to the viability of suing them. After that issue is settled, you can see about anonymously reporting their illegal activities.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    You can file an assault suit againt the bouncer and the club. Whether you can win or not depends on their side of the story and what proof you have to back your story.

As for the illegal activities, I would consult an attorney as to the viability of suing them. After that issue is settled, you can see about anonymously reporting their illegal activities.

I work for an Attorney who specializes in lawsuits against bars - dram shop, unnecessary force - and the bar (or nightclub) employees are allowed (and expected) to take "reasonable means" to stop the behavior of a patron which endangers himself/herself and/or other patrons as well as using "reasonable means, necessary force" to remove the patron.

The patron and the bouncer/management don't always agree on the word "reasonable.":D

But it's the same as any other business - you are pretty much an invited guest and you can be uninvited at any time.

It is all going to come down the injuries and whether the bouncers were reasonable and attempting to protect both the OP and the other patrons. OP also mentions go-go dancers (who very well may have been strippers, I certainly don't know). The dancers in many clubs are also very much in control over who stays and who goes - all they have to do is give the signal and the bouncers are on an unruly or inappropriate patron.

I note that the OP was standing on a chair when asked to leave - I, of course, have no idea what the previous history is. I have difficult believing the bouncers threatened pepper spray inside the club.

From personal experience - I was a cocktail waitress, in costume, during my College days (it paid the tuition and then some) and the bouncers very much protected both the waitresses and the other patrons. One moment they were sitting at the bar, being rowdy or inappropriate, and the next moment they were outside without their feet ever touching the ground.

(I will say that I have seen bouncers go into a shark-like frenzy with/over a patron, including one case where a bouncer physically pushed a patron over a railing on the second floor. That does not seem to be the case here.)

Jul 30, 2008, 06:33 AM
    I totally agree. I missed the "on top of chairs" comment. I wonder if the OP and his friends were asked to get down before they were ejected. I can definitely see the club not wanting patrons standing on chairs, that presents a danger.

I strongly suspect, we are not getting the full story here.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I totally agree. I missed the "on top of chairs" comment. I wonder if the OP and his friends were asked to get down before they were ejected. I can definitely see the club not wanting patrons standing on chairs, that presents a danger.

I strongly suspect, we are not getting the full story here.

I don't know if this is appropriate here but it's about banning people and the right to do so - when I met my husband he knew I worked for Attorneys but didn't know what I do. So we stopped for a drink and the bartender refused to serve me and asked me to leave. Said he was sorry but the directive came from the owner. My very conservative husband had an absolutely shocked look on his face (I'm a VERY light drinker) and thought I'd caused a previous problem at the bar. We shuffled out and when we got outside I explained it and he lightened up - considerably.

Most people realize it's what I do and there's nothing personal - but not that bar owner!

I also went into a bar with a date one time and the bartender asked if I was working - I think my date thought I was a "working girl" so I had to explain that one.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    I also went into a bar with a date one time and the bartender asked if I was working - I think my date thought I was a "working girl" so I had to explain that one.
    LOL :p

The last time my old boyfriend got banned was he was drinking with the roofers he worked with and he leaned over and asked his boss if he could advance him a few dollars of his pay. The bartender overheard and said OUT and at least 9 people walked out behind him --including his boss.
    adidas0021 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Ok, I understand that maybe the problem was that we were standing on the chairs, but why didn't he ask us to get down, why? Did he pull me down without saying anything and why? Did he let everyone else stay and stand on the chair and keep watching the show?. that is the question everyone has. And that is why I think its personal. Am 25 and I've never been kicked out of anything in my life. If he would've asked me to get down I woul've done so, but I had no clue what was going on when he pulled me and kicked me out, a lot of people that saw what he did left the club as well and asked why? Why? And that's when he wanted to pepper spray everyone that asked.. Also about 3 weeks ago I was there and I was standing by a door that's always close and he asked me to move from there , so I did.. then a few minutes later this girl that's my friend was standing by the door and he didn't say anything. Later my uncle was by the door and he told him to move, so I asked him why he didn't say anything to my friend when she was standing there and he said.. " because i like her"... so like I said its been several occasion ,but this past one he made it very clear that its personal.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 09:33 AM
    Yes bouncers do tend to get personal and make an example out of who they think is the most unruly and likely to be the trouble maker of the crowd.
    I took two of my friends to a concert in the park one time and a lot of people were standing in front of the stage dancing but when they went up to dance the guards kept their eye on them... their excuse was they were intoxicated... but they were not acting all that much more unruly than the rest. They were just a bit more lively at dancing and every little thing they did the guards watched like a hawk and then they kicked them out when they went back up for the third time. They said 'we kept telling you you have to dance to the sides of the stage... but everybody else was dancing in front of the stage.

Unfortunately many people in authority can and do as they please and bully and abuse as they see fit and nothing much we can do because the word of people in authority is taken over ours. I would tell management about his behavior and how he said 'because I like her' They most likely want a standard like no standing in front of doors due to fire hazard
    And might do something if it is something not to their liking.

Jul 30, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Maybe it is, but the club is a private business. If you feel the guard is treatly you unfairly, then complain to management.

For example, this site is a private entity. Some of us have the ability to ban members. We don't have to justfiy doing so to the member, only to the management of this site.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 10:59 AM
    Yes it does seem to be personal and that is why you have to go over his head to management and complain about it but it doesn't mean you will be able to go back there or anything since they can see you as a problem as well.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adidas0021
    Ok, i understand that maybe the problem was that we were standing on the chairs, but why didnt he ask us to get down, why? did he pull me down without saying anything and why? did he let everyone else stay and stand on the chair and keep watching the show?.... that is the question everyone has. and that is why i think its personal. Am 25 and ive never been kicked out of anything in my life. If he would've asked me to get down i woul've done so, but i had no clue what was going on when he pulled me and kicked me out, alot of people that saw what he did left the club as well and asked why? why? and thats when he wanted to pepper spray everyone that asked.. Also about 3 weeks ago i was there and i was standing by a door thats alway close and he asked me to move from there , so i did.. then a few minutes later this girl thats my friend was standing by the door and he didnt say anything. later my uncle was by the door and he told him to move, so i asked him why he didnt say anything to my friend when she was standing there and he said.." because i like her" ... so like i said its been several occasion ,but this past one he made it very clear that its personal.

Maybe it's personal; maybe he doesn't like you; maybe if you tell management you are angry and never coming back they will care. Maybe they won't.

But you have no grounds for a lawsuit.

So if you don't believe what has been posted, contact an Attorney and get a legal opinion. It's a privately-owned business and they get to make the rules.

I see no discrimination and I see no damages.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file suit for release of my medical records I didn't authorize? [ 17 Answers ]

I just found out yesterday that my entire chart of my medical records was copied and sent to an auto insurance company for the other party that hit me last year. They are attempting to settle with me and told me that it has taken so long because they were sent 70 pages of my medical records. I...

Can I file a slander, libel defamation of character suit [ 21 Answers ]

My boyfriends ex has repeatedly slandered me. I have not seen my boyfriends son in almost a year. He is not allowed to be near me because I said to him one day to go get his back pack and he said his mother said it was an overnight bag. I said yes it can be but did you ever use it as a back pack...

Need to file a civil suit to get judgement [ 3 Answers ]

I have an ex spouse who I was paying child support. It took the courts over 3 months to approve to stop child support. Now my ex owes me $7k in back payments and refuses to give it back(obviously). I am in NY state, do I need a lawyer? I cannot go to small claims with it since the amount is larger...

How to file a counter claim in an eviction law suit [ 1 Answers ]

How do I file a counter claim against my landlord, when I am being sued for non-payment of rent, when he actually owes me money. I do not have an attorney and I can not afford one, so I will be representing myself in court.

View more questions Search