Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grover1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 06:37 PM
    Garnishment of bank account
    I have Social security disability benefits, and my teacher disability benefits direct deposited into my checking account. Sometimes I deposit other checks in there too. Can my bank account be frozen?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2008, 06:43 PM
    You need to make your bank aware of it because they can freeze it and then you have the hassle of fighting to get it unfrozen. Some exceptions can include federal government, taxes, student loans, child support,

Commercial creditors cannot garnish your Social Security retirement check. However, the Federal government may garnish your benefits to recover student loans, back taxes, or any other monies owed to the Federal government. Additionally, your Social Security retirement check may be garnished for current or back child support.
    Can creditors garnish my Social Security retirement check ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 06:50 PM
    If you have mixed funds in the account, often they can freeze it, till they sort out what money is what.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Garnishment on Bank Account [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend checked is checking account and found an amount that had been deducted from his checking account. Turns out it is a garnishment. The garnishment is for a car that he had a loan on that had been totaled in an accident. He said that he knew that there insurance had paid for the car. ...

Bank account garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I had my bank account garnished because of a judgement.The judge released it because my income is from social security.I have since added my daugther on my account. Will that stop them from trying to garnish it again

Bank Account Garnishment [ 13 Answers ]

I was notified that a garnishment on my bank account was put in place due to a judgement against me. Will the bank continue to freeze money direct deposited into the account if the deposit is more than the total amount of the garnishment, or does the bank only freeze up to the amount of the...

Bank Account Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Michigan. Can a Credit Card Company garnish a Christmas Fund Account? Thanks in advance for any answers, Veronica

View more questions Search