Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wanttosettle Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2006, 02:27 PM
    Disable at startup
    I have several programs that load as soon as I start my computer, and they are eating up all my memory. I tried to remove them from my startup menu, but this then sent them to the recycle bin. I'm computer illiterate. I want to know how to disable programs when I start my computer (so they don't automatically eat up my memory, but I want them when I need them. How do I this. Thanks.
    vartan Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Feb 28, 2006, 04:46 PM
    OK here is how you do it start -> run -> msconfig -> click startup tab and remove what you want.. be careful what you remove though... some stuff you need. Next time to start your computer it will give you a dialog box saying you disabled some stuff.. if you click the box you will never get it again. But still go into msconfig to add them back later if you want.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2006, 08:54 AM
    HI,
    The first answer you received is very good.
    If you find something you don't want starting up when you boot up the computer, then under the StartUp tab, left click on it.
    When the first answer said "remove", it meant to remove the checkmark, not the program itself. You can't remove the program from the msconfig, startup tab. Removing the checkmark, then clicking on Apply and Ok, then rebooting stops the program from starting up.
    Best wishes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce and disable please help [ 1 Answers ]

I got married in 2000 and my wife left me in about nine months after for another man. I only get social security as income and I want a divorce can someone help? Thanks mikeboy

Disable Right Click [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, How can one restrict right-click (or the cut/copy command) on a web page? I assume it is Java, but I don't really know. I will have pictures that are kind of rare (of behind the scenes at Live with Regis and Kelly) and would like to prevent them from being stolen. I would appreciate if...

Disable help [ 2 Answers ]

My cousin's a disable young man in a wheel chair that needs assistance. He lives in a house that was on the demolition list in Michigan, but he had a few friends help him fix the house, to make it liveable. The problem is the city says the house does not exsist. So therefore he can't get the...

Svchost.exe?  And startup but not in startup file? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear All, Can you tell me what svchost.exe is? I'm always getting a box saying it has generated errors and will be closed. Also, a lot of things start up without being in the startup file. Where does the computer get the command to start those things up? The registry or somewhere else? ...

Disable standby mode in RED HAT [ 1 Answers ]

Hello How can I disable the standby mode in RED HAT operating system. I have tried to change the screen saver to DISABLE, but it didn't help. Thanks

View more questions Search