Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twestling Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 02:49 PM
    deck rebuild
    I am in the process of rebuilding a 16' deep by 42' long deck. Half of it is to be used for a hot tub. Now it has 2x6's on 24" center with 4x4's supporting it to the ground. It is 12 ft off the ground. I want to lower the part of the deck that will support the hottub useing 4ea 6x6's to 2x8" on 16" centers. The tub weights 5000lbs full. Will this be suffent?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 29, 2008, 06:11 PM
    ill just tell you what I would do and nothing less. Id use double 2x10s every 12" on center , also I would support that by double 2x12 beams bolted on a 6x6 post.

now this is just where the hot tub is setting, do make sure that the 2 2x12 beams are going the opposstite direction than the joists are so it is load bearing.

as far as code goes a 2x6 would never fly for a deck joist, 2x8 at a minimum
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 09:34 PM
    I suggest that you contact the manufacturer about installation requirements. Also contact local building code office. With that much weight at that height you may have to engineer or architectural drawings.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 31, 2008, 09:10 AM
    If you are rebuilding with a permit you'll find out pretty quick what's allowed. Are you saying the hot tub alone will load 5000 lbs? Your 24" on center for the rest of the deckis already pushing the limits, do not surface with 5/4" planks for the flooring, they will deflect.
    daisy27 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2008, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twestling
    I am in the process of rebuilding a 16' deep by 42' long deck. Half of it is to be used for a hot tub. Now it has 2x6's on 24" center with 4x4's supporting it to the ground. It is 12 ft off the ground. I want to lower the part of the deck that will support the hottub useing 4ea 6x6's to 2x8" on 16" centers. the tub weights 5000lbs full. will this be suffent??
    Good luck
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Feb 27, 2008, 11:06 PM
    I will totally agree with Glavine. Talk to your tub supplier or your building inspector. They will help you.
    Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to replace my deck belt on my troybilt 17hr. 42' deck belt diagram [ 4 Answers ]

I need to replace my deck belt on troybilt 17hr. 42' riding lawnmover. Be nice to have a diagram

Rebuild your own transmission [ 3 Answers ]

Is it possible to rebuild your own transmission if you happened to be very mechanically inclined? I have a Dodge Sport 1500 4x4 and it won't shift into second gear. It's been rebuilt once 4-years ago and I can't see spending $2000 to get it done again.

F150 rebuild is overheating [ 2 Answers ]

Hello we just rebuilt our 1995 f150 and it is overheating I have checked the water pump it works fine I have replaced the radiatior cap I have replaced the thermostat. I have burped the block to make sure there are no air gaps in there. I have pulled out the radiator and flushed it to make sure...

If Under Law why not Rebuild the temple? [ 9 Answers ]

Why do those who say they are under the Mosaic Law not follow all the stipulations like animal sacrifices given at alters, and all the other instructions given in Deteronomy and Exodus? Actually, the rebuilding of the temple would not be enough. Those rebuilding it would also have to begin...

View more questions Search