Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Apr 12, 2006, 02:00 AM
    Rust in gas tank
    Hi there biker people:) I have a 1981 honda 650 that I bought last summer. I paid $300.00 to get a so called tune up and rode it only a couple of months.
    Trying to fire it up this year has proven impossible. It sat over the winter with gas in the tank( I know bad idea) when I dumped out the gas to fill it up with new gas, chunks of rust came out. Is there anything I can do to remove the rust in the tank, or do I have to buy a new tank. It acts like its not getting any gas and just won't start. Please help I'm dying to go riding.
    Thanks
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2006, 05:19 AM
    Hi, Stormy,
    I haven't had any experience with a bike gas tank, but have with an outboard motor (70 hp) on my bass boat.
    My gas tank, portable, had rust in it when I bought it. Talk about stopping a motor from running!! I spent many, many hours on a lake, trying to find out why my motor would only run half speed, then just plain quit... got pretty good at cleaning out the 3 carburators, then finally discovered rust in the tank, by pouring out the gas in a clean plastic container!
    I washed it good with gas, then put an in-line gas filter on the hose, between the tank and the motor... worked great ever since.
    Now with a bike, you might try adding another filter between the tank and the carb(s). If that doesn't work, then possibly a new or good used, tank.
    Best of luck.

Apr 12, 2006, 05:35 PM
    Thanks Fred.
    I was hoping to hear about some cheap fix product that I could just dump in the tank LOL. Do you think I will have to take the carbs apart and clean them?
    PSI357 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2006, 04:46 AM
    Actually there is a quick fix. They sell a product (name excapes me) that is like a clear epoxy. You clean the tank really good, dump this stuff in and roll the tank around in your hand to spread it around the inside and let it dry. I have used it once and it did the trick. Don't forget to remove the gas valve and filter screen first:) . You should be able to pick it up at an automotive store.

On another note, when storing the bike for the winter, you want to make sure you tank is FULL. This will prevent rust as it doesn't let oxygen come in contact with the steel inside. Just add some gas stabilizer and your good to go.

Apr 24, 2006, 12:48 AM
    And she is running! :)
    After extensive cleaning and De-rusting of the tank... Turns out it was the little screens in the stem where you turn the gas on that was completely clogged with rust.. got that cleared out and she is purring like a kitten.. now if this stupid SNOW would go away I could ride:mad:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I buy a wire brush for Car Rust work? [ 2 Answers ]

Someone told me that I should get a wire brush to remove the rust on my car to get it ready for rust stop, body filler etc... any of your opinions would be appreciated, as usual?! THANKS.:confused:

Help! Car Rust... Any Advice? [ 8 Answers ]

My \'93 Eagle Summit wagon, only 56,000 km.Have had a few repairs on it. In great shape except for rust in the area above the tires,is this called wheel wells?also near the bottom of the door area. Pieces now starting to break off.(I should not have let it get to this point of rust and taken care...

Looking for sheetrock nails that don't rust! [ 7 Answers ]

I've installed quite a bit of sheetrock, and it seems that the nail heads always eventually rust, when located near a shower or tub. The screws do a much better job, but it sure seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to manufacture an aluminum alloy nail that would not rust. I've looked for...

Rust Stain in Sink- Hints? [ 5 Answers ]

I was out of town for a week, and my housesitter left a can of pet food in the white enameled kitchen sink. The rust ring it left is proving very difficult to remove. I used lots of scrubbing, and a product called "CLR" to almost no avail. The stain has lightened a bit, but is still there. ...

Help Please! Seeking Advice For Repairing Rust On My Car Please. [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 1993 Eagle Summit Eagon (mini van) only 55,000 km. Unfortunately, I should have repaired the rust when it began, but I didn't. I am so embaressed driving around like this. There is rust around the area of each wheel (is it called the wheel well?) approximately 4inches of rust at the...

View more questions Search