Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cwparrett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2007, 10:22 AM
    Pressure tank seems empty of water after installing new one
    After installing a new pressure tank, pressure switch, plumbing and setting tank pressure and cut-in and cut out, the tank seems to be very light, (no or little water in tank). Shouldn't the tank be heavy from being half full with water (draw-down amount)?
    Thanks!
    Cliff
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 05:51 PM
    What are your cutin/cutout points for the pump? What pressure (assuming it's a bladder tank) did you set at the top of the tank? Should be two pounds below the cut in pressure.
    cwparrett Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Cut in pressure was set at 43 pounds, cut out was set at 60, and tank pressure was set at 41.
    Thanks for the assistance!
    Cliff
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 27, 2007, 06:57 AM
    shouldn't the tank be heavy from being half full with water (draw-down amount)?
    Not really. Ac bladder type pressure tank uses air that compresses as pressure builds. In time water,(condensate) will build up in the bottom half of a bladder tank but the top hafe will always ,( unless the membrane is ruptured) be dry and empty. Good luck, tom
    wayne0418 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Dec 25, 2007, 10:01 AM
    The pressure gage is on the supply line after the tank and pressure switch. It reads o. the tank has a standerd tire valve on the top. The tank is completely empty. I cleand the contacts on the pressure swith and they are in the closed position all the time as you would expext due to there being no water. The pump is turning on and off but for a verry short period. Thanks wayne
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 25, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne0418
    the presure gage is on the supply line after the tank and presure switch. it reads o. the tank has a standerd tire valve on the top. the tank is completly empty. i cleand the contacts on the presure swith and they are in the closed position all the time as you would expext due to there being no water. the pump is turning on and off but for a verry short period of time. thanks wayne
    This tells me that you have a faulty check/foot valve. Your present one looks like it was allowing water to drain back into the well as the pump pumps up to pressure only to shut off and then kick back on as the pressure bleeds off. The solution would be to uncover and replace the check valve. Do it before your pump motor burns up. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Low water pressure from hot water tank [ 8 Answers ]

I drained my water supply when fitting new bathroom suite I have turn the mains water back on but I am not getting any pressure from the hot water taps the cold is fine

Installing a Wellsaver pressure tank [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased an 86 gallon Wellsaver tank and I'm not finding installation instructions. The only "instructions" I've found is a diagram on the side of the box. Are there more specific instructions available.

New hot water tank installed, loss of water pressure [ 1 Answers ]

After the installation of a new hot water tank, we have less pressure which is only noticeable when trying to fill the tub. Any ideas? Thank you.

Running water sound in water pressure tank [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if I have a bad bladder in my water pressure tank but here is what I have. When my submersible pump kicks on I hear what sounds like water and air mixing in the tank. The house pressure comes up to about 50 PSI and takes time to bleed down. Could I have air in the tank from the well...

View more questions Search