Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inevitableenigma Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2006, 06:02 PM
    Old unicorn cartoon movie
    I'm almost 17 years old. I remember watching a movie when I was somewhere between 3-6 years old about a unicorn and a gargoyle (?).

The unicorn starts at a young age and progresses in age, if I remember correctly. It was very sad and lonely. I think maybe its horn broke at some point, but I'm not sure.

Additionally, it attempts to befriend a gargoyle or devil or something of that sort. I can remember that the gargoyle kept telling the unicorn to leave it alone because he wanted to live in "solitude" (this scene stuck out simply because I remember them explaining what "solitude" meant and that of course wa a big word for such a young child).

I know my description isn't great, but all of the sudden I started remembering this movie and I was hoping someone could let me know what movie this is. Thanks!
    omzig Posts: 119, Reputation: 19

Oct 27, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Could it be "The Last Unicorn?"

Oct 28, 2006, 08:45 AM
    No, it wasn't that movie.
    Bekind_Rewindd Posts: 56, Reputation: 6

Nov 4, 2006, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inevitableenigma
    I'm almost 17 years old. I remember watching a movie when I was somewhere between 3-6 years old about a unicorn and a gargoyle (?).

The unicorn starts out at a young age and progresses in age, if I remember correctly. It was very sad and lonely. I think maybe its horn broke at some point, but I'm not sure.

Additionally, it attempts to befriend a gargoyle or devil or something of that sort. I can remember that the gargoyle kept telling the unicorn to leave it alone because he wanted to live in "solitude" (this scene stuck out simply because I remember them explaining what "solitude" meant and that of course wa a big word for such a young child).

I know my description isn't great, but all of the sudden I started remembering this movie and I was hoping someone could let me know what movie this is. Thanks!
    Are you sure its not the last unicorn?
    There is a part when they're trapped in a circus show
    And there is a big gargole devil type creature there
    serena21 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2006, 06:30 PM
    It might be The little unicorn another move about a young unicorn who grows up and has a circus in it.

Here is a review from Amazon.com

7 of 7 people found the following review helpful:

All Show, No Depth, January 12, 2006
    Reviewer: J.R.Corry "ceebcorry2" (Fl) - See all my reviews
    Ever since I was little, I have absolutely loved unicorns. When I saw this DVD advertised here on Amazon, I looked into it and found what looked like a good movie with an interesting plot. The story revolves around a little girl, Polly, whose old mare gives birth to a unicorn foal before dying. Polly soon comes to love the foal, of course, and pretty soon her love and loyalty are tested when a bunch of greedy circus people attempt to steal the unicorn for publicity purposes. I decided to give the movie the benefit of the doubt and bought it sight unseen. Sadly, this was a mistake. I guess I should have paid more attention to the negative reviews, because corniness was only one of this movie's faults. For starters, the depth of the story I had hoped for simply isn't there; the movie's tone is so completely juvenile, I expect only really small children would appreciate it. You may very well think,"Well, of COURSE it's juvenile; it's a kid's movie!" It's been my experience, however, that a really good children's movie will move adults as well. Such classics as, "Narnia", "The Secret Garden", "A Little Princess", and the wonderful "Harry Potter" series are all stories that, while often marketed as being for kids, have proven to affect adults as much as children (if not more so). The characters in this movie are not in the least memorable and not very believable as people. The "heroine" annoyed me instead of rousing my sympathy, and the so-called villains seemed to be nothing more than morons who were placed in the story to be made fools of. The leader of the circus was a greedy jerk, but there's not much more to be said for his character as far as affectiveness goes. The rest of the "bad guys" were embarassingly stupid. Trust me, Joe Pesci was more terrifying in the "Home Alone" series than these guys. The only faintly good point of the film was the unicorn, although he certainly couldn't save the film all by himself. Even he, however, had a few downfalls. As an adult, the unicorn is realistically played by a real horse, with a gorgeous glowing effect that magnifies his magical appearance. When he first appears as a foal, however, he is not played by a real horse but created with the most pathetic animation I've ever seen. The flying scenes were awkward as well and somewhat took away from the magical effect of the unicorn. The ending of the movie was abrupt and rather awkward, trying to patch a bunch of different resolutions together in one scene (more than one character had some sort of dilemma going on). All together, this film tried to be moving but came off as a bad caricature of a moving film rather than the real thing. You may think I'm being too harsh since it is, after all, just a kid's film. However, if this is what's considered the ideal children's film, then I strongly believe that children are not being given enough credit. Children are multi-dimensional in many ways and a movie should not be dumbed down in order to impress them. I certainly don't think this film is harmful to kids-it probably won't affect them much at all if they're over four-but I would say it's totally unnecessary for their intellectual development. I guess it depends on what you're looking for; if you want a film that effectively teaches morals, I recommend you look elsewhere (check out the movies I listed earlier). On the other hand, if you'd like a film that resembles a circus-pretty good entertainment, nice special effects, and no depth whatsoever-you might very well prefer this one.
    Rablari Dash Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2006, 05:26 AM
    Definitely "The Fantastic Adventures of Unico". I loved that movie as a child, and still wish I could find a copy of it somewhere, along with the sequel, "Unico in the Island of Magic".

See The Wikipedia article on Unico or
    on Anime News Network for more information.

And for purchasing... Well, I just found the answer to one of my own questions: Amazon

Nov 7, 2006, 06:04 PM
    Wow Rablari Dash, that's it! I can't believe someone actually knew what I was talking about. That's amazing. Thank you.
    Huhno Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 04:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inevitableenigma

The unicorn starts out at a young age and progresses in age, if I remember correctly. It was very sad and lonely. I think maybe its horn broke at some point, but I'm not sure.

I am looking for the same movie... I saw it as a small boy and since then I am looking for it. Now I probably now how is it c called but I do not know where to download it, or find it... Please can somebody help me... It should be called "Unico in theIsland of Magic". *It was made in USA, in 1984 as a childrenīs fantasy.
    IknowAll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 12:51 AM
    I remember it too. It was really weird and sort of depressing ( for a pre-shcooler).
    It was definitely Japanese and it involved a character named Unico. I'd go with Huhno 'cause I don't know the actual title of the movie. I think there was a wooden robot guy too.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2007, 01:42 AM
    Do you guys even read the thread? The answer is in post #6?
    monalyssa Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 10:15 PM
    No, actually the movie was a Care Bears movie, something to do with wonderland. Not Unico. NOT the Last Unicorn. NOT post #6.
    kajelynn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by monalyssa
    No, actually the movie was a Care Bears movie, something to do with wonderland. Not Unico. NOT the Last Unicorn. NOT post #6.
    You are wrong. It is Unico. I just watched it the other day. The point at which the unicorn breaks it's horn, is when Unico gives his horn to the little devil to "wear". Unico is very sad and lonely, because he got taken away from his family to be saved, because some of the gods or whatever want him dead. And the devil did not want Unico as a friend at first, because he was supposed to live alone, something about his father was dead. It's a bit screwy but I do know for a fact that it's Unico.

And IKnowAll is thinking about the other Unico movie, I haven't seen that one in a bit, but it has a witch or something in it that either was a wooden doll thing or becomes a wooden doll thing at the end. I don't remember quite exactly what happens, but I do now that it is Unico!
    stardust713 Posts: 334, Reputation: 65

Mar 25, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by monalyssa
    It's not the "Care Bears Adventures in Wonderland" I have that movie. It does have a unicorn in it, but the unicorn is only a tiny part of the film and it doesn't break its horn and there is no gargoyle. The movie is Unico (I have that one as well and it can be nothing but this)
    ManiacMansion Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Wow, thanks so much for this post. I've been trying to figure out what this movie was (Unico and the Island of Magic) for about 15 years. The images of the "living puppets" have been permanently etched into my brain. I didn't think I'd ever figure out what it was, especially after watching "The Last Unicorn" which was the movie nearly everyone suspected I meant. Its up on YouTube as well so I even had a chance to re-watch it! Thank you, thank you, thank you. And God bless the internet!
    baughmanjamie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 01:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inevitableenigma View Post

Yes This Is One All time Favs... I can help! The Movie is name THE FANTASCT ADVENCERS OF UNICO, This is 1 Of 3 UNICO movies made 1978 to 1981.
    baughmanjamie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2009, 01:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by baughmanjamie View Post
    Yes This Is One All time Favs.... I can help! The Movie is name THE FANTASCT ADVENCERS OF UNICO, This is 1 Of 3 UNICO movies made 1978 to 1981.
    Oh the little devil is named Besil but I like kitten name Kate

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80s cartoon movie [ 2 Answers ]

This has been bothering me for months, and I cannot think of the title of this movie I watched as a kid. I remember very few details. First, it came in a teal box. I think the characters have leaves on their heads. The only scene I remember is of the characters running across a rope to cross a...

80's cartoon movie? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay all I remember is on character (gnomish) had a candle on his head, and at some point they were going over a dark lake with spikes coming out of it, also at some point I remember this line, "Arise fairies and dance," proceeding by fairies emerging from a ring of mushrooms and dancing in a...

Random 80s cartoon movie - what is it? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, this sounds ridiculous, but I remember this movie from when I was a kid. It involved some human kids going into the forest at night and meeting up with these weird creatures - purple things with antlers and long noses, like anteaters standing on their hind legs. One of them was this really...

80's Cartoon Movie Title [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have asked all of my friends and even my brother about this movie. The only thing I can remember is that the main character may be a mouse (?? ) and is with his mother and they come to a stream or muddy area and he sees a can of either dog food or something with a tomato on it and...

Help WIth an 80's HBO Cartoon Movie [ 1 Answers ]

The movie I remember was a cartoon Japanese style movie. I remember seeing it on HBO almost 17 to 18 years ago. At the beginning there was a mother pegasus on a cloud with her babies. Soemehow one of the babies ended up on earth where he came to a young woman and believe there was a black cat....

View more questions Search