Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Slow drain in un-vented kitchen sink
    We re-modeled our kitchen, changing the sink from a double to a single bowl. It is located in the same spot as previously, with a dishwasher connected. No disposal. There is no vent in this part of the house - the sink drain goes about 20 feet before joining into the main drain under the bathroom, where there is a vent through the roof. There is another vent for the laundry area, which is on the other side of the bath.
    We are now having slow drainage in the kitchen sink. It is clear and drains well for the first few minutes, but as soon as the s-drain is full and the bowl starts to fill, the drainage is very slow. This does not change if the dishwasher is running or not. There doesn't appear to be a problem with drainage for the dishwasher - it does not back up into the sink. The sink and dishwasher are located in a peninsula.
    Did the old, 2 bowl sink provide venting to allow the water to continue to drain? There is not room in the new cabinets to replace the sink with a 2 bowl - it is not wide enough and there is no room to expand.
    Our first thought was to add an air gap for the dishwasher - but we looked at the purpose and function of those and now question that as a solution.
    What can we do?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Install a studor vent
    jackie-in-flatrock Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Doug,
    Thanks, at least now we know what to ask about!
    Jackie
    IvaLord Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2011, 07:11 AM
    Ours is a similar scenario-- (double bowl to single bowl)
    However there is already a studor vent in place and yet still have drain issues (with significant volumes of water)
    So, any other suggestions?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 1, 2011, 10:32 AM

Perhaps the AAV or studder vent is failing. Remove it temporarily and see what happens. If drainage is improved replace AAV.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow kitchen sink drain [ 11 Answers ]

Hello -- I've been battling a slow kitchen sink drain for some time now. After watching someone successfully unclog a sink drain with a hose and a blast of hot water, I tried it a few times to no avail. Every time I think I fix the drain, I close the pipes up and it's slow again. I read...

Kitchen sink drain very slow [ 7 Answers ]

My kitchen sink is a twin sink with one p-trap. I removed the dishwasher and replaced the one piece of drain that connects it to the sink. Ever since the drain has been very very slow(about 45 minutes to an hour to drain). I tried a snake in the sink with no luck. Should I try to snake the clean...

Kitchen Sink Slow Draining [ 2 Answers ]

I have a double sink in my kitchen. When the 1st sink is plugged and is full with water and I begin to use the 2nd sink the water starts to back up. When I pull the plug on the 1st. Sink a large air bubble surfaces and the water starts to flow better in the 2nd sink. Both sinks join into one pipe...

Kitchen sink slow to drain (sometimes) [ 2 Answers ]

So I just finished a total gut and redo in the kitchen. Everything is working perfectly (drains nice and clean, etc.) and I was happy of a job done right. My wife comes to tell me the sink is backed up and draining VERY slowly. I turn on the disposal and WHAM! The sink is empty again. I can...

View more questions Search