Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kkahne Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 02:34 PM
    Border crossing with a felony
    If you have a dwi in canada 9 years old and you have an indian status card can you still cross over the U.S border for a visit
    Diane Carol Posts: 76, Reputation: 4

Aug 19, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Good question. Normally the card entitles you to go anywhere and save a lot of money doing it.
    But to get your answer simply call up the local U.S. consulate and ask.
    The U.S. consulate in Toronto is on University Avenue.

I would think DUI is not a barrier to gaining entry to the U.S... and especially so for a Treaty Indian.
    lauren6318 Posts: 36, Reputation: -3

Nov 12, 2008, 12:42 PM

I know this is a bit old but I was searching for a similar topic. I wonder if this was ever resolved? (a DUI is a criminal offense, so I'm curious if the OP was able to cross?)
    kkahne Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 03:50 PM

Thanks lauren I will let you know about this we are scheduled to cross border on dec 3 I could never get a yes or no answer so we will find out then... thanks for your response.. I will let you know
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 06:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kkahne View Post
    thanks lauren i will let you know about this we are scheduled to cross border on dec 3 i could never get a yes or no answer so we will find out then...thanks for your response..i will let you know

[I]To begin, in Canada a DUI is a felony and therefore an excludable offense under the Immigration Act. A DUI is an indictable offense in Canada that may be punished by imprisonment for up to a 5 year term. Anyone with a conviction in the United States that is treated as a felony or indictable offense in Canada is excludable from Canada, but even if the offense is not a felony or indictable offense in Canada, Customs and Immigration Officers have ultimate authority to permit and deny entry to Canada.

Almost all convictions (including DUI, DWI, reckless driving, negligent driving, misdemeanor drug possession, all felonies, domestic violence (assault IV), shoplifting, theft, etc) can make a person inadmissible to Canada, regardless of when they occurred. For this reason, it is not recommended that persons with past convictions attempt to enter Canada without first obtaining necessary documents. It is always the final decision of officers at ports of entry to decide whether a person should be allowed into Canada.
    Honeyyy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2011, 09:22 PM
    Okay! I know this is real old, but the answer to your question is YES u will your still be able to enter to United States of America. I know because I am Canadian had a DUI in the State of NY, they suspended my license for 2 months there and Ontario gave me a 1 year suspension. Every time I cross into the U.S they ask if I was ever charged I admit yes and then show the court documentation... NO PROBLEMS!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2011, 09:14 AM

Was the DUI in NY a felony?

Where do you cross? I posted the law and am curious why it is being ignored in your case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Felony probation felony violation-what will happen? [ 15 Answers ]

I have a godson whose mother is a convicted felon for forgery/writing checks, and is on felony probation, she was recently arrested, they had a bench warrant out for her arrest. She went to court, plead guilty, and went to court this morning to see what the charges were, they consisted of: usage of...

Indian Status Cards and Border Crossing [ 6 Answers ]

I was just wondering if you can still use an Indian Status card for travel to the US, and if so what would be the secondary piece of ID to use if the Status card is primary?

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony [ 6 Answers ]

Is a Court Martial a Felony or Misdemeanor or Felony. I see many questions on this topic... please post my input. A summary Court Martial is not a felony conviction period! There is nothing in the military to equate a Court Martial to a felony or misdemeanor conviction. The federal courts look...

Crossing over [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Is crossing over a kind of mutation?

Crossing delancey [ 4 Answers ]

One of my favorite movies of all time is Crossing Delancey, It was made in 1988, and Stared Amy Irving as the shrinking violet. The film touched me in the sense I was going through the same issues Amy was going through,I watched it about at least a hundred times. I would always go to the video...

View more questions Search